• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Installed a V-Stream windscreen today.

wsikorski

Just got done installing the National Cycle "V-Stream" windscreen on my 2010. I didn't realize just how big the stocker was; it's huge.

The V-Stream has a different profile and is somewhat larger than stock. I'll get some riding in tomorrow morning on the way to work to see if it's all they, (National Cycle), claim.

Kudos to PowersportParts.net for a decent price, 134.99 w/free shipping, and really quick delivery. I ordered it on Tuesday night and it was delivered today.

I have/had V-Streams on 3 different bikes now.  I have been happy with each of them.  The one on my C14 also works much better than the stock shield.

Wayne_Sikorski_NJ said:
Just got done installing the National Cycle "V-Stream" windscreen on my 2010. I didn't realize just how big the stocker was; it's huge.

The V-Stream has a different profile and is somewhat larger than stock. I'll get some riding in tomorrow morning on the way to work to see if it's all they, (National Cycle), claim.

Kudos to PowersportParts.net for a decent price, 134.99 w/free shipping, and really quick delivery. I ordered it on Tuesday night and it was delivered today.

The OEM shield is much smaller if you have a 08-09. The 2010-11 have the optional tall shield offered for the 08-09, as OEM on the 2010-11.

I'm thinking about an aftermarket screen on my 2011, and was wondering if the VStream is as thick as the OEM.  I would like some additional protection from width but taller is not needed.

Thanks,
Peter

Peter, do you mean the actual thickness of the material itself, or width of the shield? Anyway the V Stream will be both a little taller and wider than the OEM shield. It also has a nice curved shape to it that puts you in a nice pocket when riding.

Bob - I was referring to the thickness of the material.  I've noticed some are thinner than stock, which I really don't know if it is as important as shape, in considering the flex.

For reference, CalSci are specified as 3/16" which is .1875".  I put a dial caliper on the top edge of the stock shield and it is .203".

A VStream looks like a good deal as the OP posted.

Peter

I did not notice any difference in thickness between the 2 shields.  But I would have to dig out the OEM to check for sure.  There was no difference in the mounting screws.  If I remember tonight I will check them out for you.

The V-Stream I have on My '09, is noticeably thinner in material thickness compared to the stock shield from a  '10 my friend let my borrow.
The V-Stream vibrates slightly when up to speed but holds up nicely, at least up to 135 MPH.

Peter said:
I'm thinking about an aftermarket screen on my 2011, and was wondering if the VStream is as thick as the OEM.  I would like some additional protection from width but taller is not needed.

Thanks,
Peter

I measured the shields today.

Stock 2011 = 5.7mm
V-Stream    = 4.7mm

I have a Vstream on my 2010, it does flap around a bit more then the stocker, but it protects me way better from the elements.  However I think next year I will go back to the stocker for summer months when it's REALLY hot out and just use the Vstream in fall/spring when it is likely to be chilly in the AM/PM...

Overall I like it tho, 

I ordered one and hope to have it soon. 

One place on the internet listed them as 6mm thick, and then I checked National Cycles website which listed the thickness BETWEEN 4.5mm - 6mm?

Having height adjustment with the press of a switch makes the stocker usable, but it really isn't designed very well IMO.

Peter

My stock shield was extremely noisy no matter where I set it.

The V-Stream made most of the noise go away.  :)

The V-Stream for the GL1800 has 2 thicknesses available 4 & 6 mm.
I'm not sure if the thicker ones are available for other bikes.

Installed the V-Stream a few days ago, and have ridden with full face helmet and shorty helmet.  The protection is far better than with the stocker, but at my height, I can only raise it a couple of inches from the bottom adjustment or im looking THROUGH the windshield.  At full height it is totally over my head?

The thickness is .1875" or 3/16".  It does flap around a bit more than stock but it is not really an issue.

While the height specified is 3" over stock if I recall, the mounting holes are also a bit lower which makes the height more than 3" taller than the stock shield.

Overall, it is far better in protection, but I am considering cutting about 3" off of the top.  Anyone have experience cutting a V-Stream shield?  The "quantum" coating makes me wonder if cutting it would be possible or a mistake.

Peter

I found the stock shield on my 2010 to kill my neck on long trips at anything above full down. If I'm going to ride with it full down, I figure I don't even need one. I too added the Vstream and found that it doesn't give me the neck pain. However, I'm sure there is still something better out there, but I think the CeeBailey looks kind of like a barn door. I wish Clearview would make a shield for this bike, as I really loved my ST shield from them. That's my 2 cents for what they are worth.