• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Installed rear PR2

wjinks

Road Bike
After 11,745 miles it was time. The tire was showing a wear that I had not seen before, slight cupping on both sides with center HIGHER  than the outer edges. The wear was more pronounced when the tire was dismounted. By the way it came off hard and the new went on hard, I must have used 5 tire tools and 3 rim protectors and chased it around the shop floor 3 times and more  than a few very bad words.

Yeah, Pilot Road 2's and 3's are fairly stiff, with the 2's being the worse of the pair I think.

What helps a lot when mounting a tire using irons is a clamp to make an anchor point somewhere. The 'automatic' 'C' clamps that are plastic coated work very well for the task and are only about $10 at Home- Lowes (whichever one you like best, or hate least). That way the start and end points of dismounting and especially mounting will not walk around the rim as you work. They also make some really clever tools just for this purpose and while I have not used any, they certainly look like they would do a great job and should be very easy to use.

The bad words might be your problem right there Wayne; I find individual bad words alone are not enough on jobs like this- you need interesting combinations to get the job done right. Triple compound words are best even if they do not make too much sense.  :)

Brian

wayne_jenkins_CT said:
After 11,745 miles it was time. The tire was showing a wear that I had not seen before, slight cupping on both sides with center HIGHER  than the outer edges. The wear was more pronounced when the tire was dismounted. By the way it came off hard and the new went on hard, I must have used 5 tire tools and 3 rim protectors and chased it around the shop floor 3 times and more  than a few very bad words.

Although I was not thrilled by any means with the PR2. I found that both the PR2 & PR3 mounted with little or no issues. Although I didn't try the alternate "B" spec tire. I did try the "E" spec Pirelli Angel (which like the "B" spec is the heavier version). That pirelli was the hardest tire I ever mounted on a motorcycle rim. As well as removal. I figure the harder/heavier carcass was probably the reason.

Capt Bob and Brian Thanks for the advice, after 30 minutes of fighting this tire my wife of 53 years said she had not heard some of those words since she drove off in my 58 1600 Speedster, the one with the roller crank, half way through an oil change.To this day I take the keys out when doing an oil change. And Bob its a known fact if you mount PR2's backwards on a Connie the Kpass keeps trying to stop you by not working!
        I hope this great forum is not get caught up in nit picking and the stuff that follows. When I grow up I hope to be perfect, until then you all have to take me as I am, not to smart but good looking and with a vast knowledge of good booze!

wayne_jenkins_CT said:
Capt Bob and Brian Thanks for the advice, after 30 minutes of fighting this tire my wife of 53 years said she had not heard some of those words since she drove off in my 58 1600 Speedster, the one with the roller crank, half way through an oil change.To this day I take the keys out when doing an oil change. And Bob its a known fact if you mount PR2's backwards on a Connie the Kpass keeps trying to stop you by not working!
        I hope this great forum is not get caught up in nit picking and the stuff that follows. When I grow up I hope to be perfect, until then you all have to take me as I am, not to smart but good looking and with a vast knowledge of good booze!
Wayne-
You got me to laughing my butt off!! :)) Partly cuz I can visualize everything you just said!!

Motor