• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Installed Steve's 7th gear bevel drive today

Sixfootfour

Big Wheel
I got the 7th gear bevel drive before Christmas, and put it in this weekend. It is pretty simple, but there is always something. The allen head screws for the swing arm are installed with locktite. One of them stripped inside the hole in the head.Arghh. I cut a slot in the head, and used a big screwdriver, but still no go. Heat is the answer. I heated the head red hot with an acetylene torch. A small propane torch might work ,too. I let the bolt cool a bit and then turned it out with the screwdriver with not much torque. Steve is great. I had a question and he answered quickly with a clear explanation. I'm not a Mechanic, and usually get the Kawi dealer to do the work, but after reading the site, I am going to do all my own work.

Sorry you had problems with that screw, but glad you got it out relatively easily. Patience's the secret ! You'll like the 7th gear ! I installed it a year ago and I can't be happier with my Connie !

Thanks Steve - to bad you'll have to wait so long to try it out. It's going to be like a new bike to you! and looky there - both you and Ray are from Canada - nice to see my units making there way up there - I hope they bring you some of our sunshine, though it's been in short supply lately! Steve

The assembly went well except for the output shaft. I took it apart by pressing a pin (small drill bit) in the hole in the collar. I didn't understand how it went together,and it would not stay in place. I was looking for a clip of some kind but, I didn't see one, so I e-mailed Steve for directions. I will quote the e-mail message "Look directly in the back of the output splined coupler in the bevel drive of your old unit, you will see a blue steel circular shim fitted in there. A small pin goes in the hole of the bevel drive coupler. When you put the drill bit in, you depressed the pin, which was being tensioned outward by the steel shim. Yuo'll need to move these parts over to the new unit. This is a great explanation, and I was able to assemble the shaft properly.