• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

installing DC power outlets

HI all. I am trying to install a few accessories to my bike. I bought a marine style DC power outlet at Walmart that is supposed to be weather proof. Problem is, when I hook it up to the Accessory connectors, it will not work. When I hook it up to the battery, it does. I have another outlet that does work but is not waterproof. I have tested the accessory connections and they seem to be fine and putting out a current. I am trying to hook up a GPS and a cheapo motorcycle stereo. Can I just run the power outlets to the battery and install a toggle switch to turn them on and off?? Jim

What bike are we talking about? C10, C14? If it works on the battery direct then something is up with the acc leads like a blown fuse. You can wire it anyway you want. Only thing to remember is how dangers the un-fused part of the wiring is. A unleashed battery will weld, spark, burn and blow your entire day. Photos[/url]

Yes I bought the weather proof outlet at wal mal mart. I installed it inside of the left pocket(covered by a vinyl flap) on my 1992 Connie. I connected it to the accessory fuse leads that were stubbed out there. I checked voltage and it was OK before installing. The body of the power recepticle is outside the ppocket. I silicone sealed it in place. I got a connector at the Kawasaki dealer that plugs tightly into the accessory connector. It works fine. There is enough clearance in the pocket for my Nuvi GPS power supply to plug in. There is another accessory power supply stub out under the seat. Some power plugs do not make good connections. I have a fused plug I use in my car (Computer power converter)that is a chronic poor connection problem.

You have to remember one lead is positive and one is negative.Your outlet won't work if you have it backwards.In my owners manual it says the white/blue wire is (+),and black/yellow wire is (-).

Personally...
I'd hook it up with a relay.  Connect directly to the battery (through a fuse of course) through the relay and use the switched connection wire to trip the relay.  EZ PZ.