• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Intermittent clock power with ignition off - solved thanks!

jfryhayes@aol.com

Training Wheels
Hi. I'm lucky that the only trouble with my conc is is that the clock resets after any significant ride.

First of all the fuse appears good.
The clock DOES work when the ignition is powered off -
EXCEPT , for maybe an hour after a ride.
It is heat related.  A short ride or a ride in the 30's won't shut the clock down.
Clock works always with the ignition on.

During service this winter, I traced the power wire from the j box to the clock , fiddling with connectors on the way, with no improvement. (fiddling = cleaning)

I am asking for advice on where to look for this open circuit that occurs only when hot.
Do I need to go through my j-box? I assume the ground is same whatever the power source is and can't remember if I traced that.

Thanks

I would add that this minor issue irritates the heck out of me - especially in the morning as I head off late to work. Or is it late. I don't know!

Most likely some moisture has gotten into the clock module itself. I've noticed that the seal is not so good. Just get a cheap waterproof watch and tape it over the stock unit. It will work better and will be just as visible at night.  :motonoises:

PaulP said:
Most likely some moisture has gotten into the clock module itself. I've noticed that the seal is not so good. Just get a cheap waterproof watch and tape it over the stock unit. It will work better and will be just as visible at night.  :motonoises:

Tape a watch on it ????? No more Red Green for you.

Thanks all.

George, you were right - or close enough!
After a nice ride south of town last night, I took the cover off the j-box and gently poked around and the clock came back on with jiggling.
It seems like hinky fuse sockets. A little twist in the fuse blades has taken care of the problem. It's nice to fix this problem there's been there since I got the conk a year ago.

:) there was a moisture problem with the stick on digital I'd stuck below the display.

Jeff in Des Moines said:
Thanks all.

George, you were right - or close enough!
After a nice ride south of town last night, I took the cover off the j-box and gently poked around and the clock came back on with jiggling.
It seems like hinky fuse sockets. A little twist in the fuse blades has taken care of the problem. It's nice to fix this problem there's been there since I got the conk a year ago.

:) there was a moisture problem with the stick on digital I'd stuck below the display.

:))
Should have gone with the waterproof watch!

Seriously though, I think you should go through the jbox and carefully clean all the connections and fuse blades. Put a little dialectric grease on them too. You'll be glad you did. Also make sure everything is tight.