• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

IOM TT

smithr

Anyone actually get to go and have a feel for what it would cost to go see this racing live?

I've been curious about it too.. I'll do some deeper research later, but I did a quick search and found this thread: http://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=264062

Based on this I have a couple quick conclusions - Getting there from the UK is an expensive ferry ride, and it sounds like most people camp while they are there.  I know, very broad conclusions based on one forum thread.

Further search to this website supports that conclusion - and reservations are already being taken for next year: http://www.iomttbreaks.com/packages-and-tickets

I also did a quick kayak search and round trip flights direct from NYC to Isle of Man are available but EXPENSIVE - over $2000, some $3500 round trip.  Seems like it would be better to make it part of a longer trip to the UK and take that ferry over and back.  I'll have to dig into that a little more.

Sorry guys, a little late to the party but just ran across this post.
I attended the TT in 2013 and was back for the Manx GP in 2014.
Both are incredible events for different reasons. For modern racing excitement the TT is the one to attend. You see all the big names in Irish road racing flogging the best sport bikes around the 37.73 mile mountain course. They hit close to 200 mph on the long straights and average 132 mph / lap. If you like vintage bikes like me, the Manx GP was also spectacular. The bikes on the track are amazing but the riders in attendance from all over Europe milling around the paddock is equally amazing.

Bikes rule on this island and cars get out of their way. During the TT, there is what is called Mad Sunday. Every bike on the island is running the course for fun and up on the mountain there is no speed limit and they make the road one way (in the direction of the race course). You can imagine the madness! Our host took us for a car tour around the course on that morning and after going through Ramsey and heading up to the mountain section he said, "this will get interesting". He was right! We stayed to the left and were going about 60 mph watching every imaginable bike flash past us at very high speeds. Keep in mind, these are the spectators! Its a really different biking culture and I felt right at home.

To answer some questions, I flew Aer Lingus from Chicago to Dublin then took a small commuter prop job to Douglas, IOM. Aer Lingus booked it all the way. In Douglas you can rent a car right at the airport. We did a home stay in Douglas with the same couple for both trips. These can be booked right on the official IOM website and are government sanctioned. We paid 35 pounds each per night for three of us. Their house was right on the course near Governers bridge very close to the start finish line and the paddock. Yes many people ride from all over Europe and camp but just as many do home stays. (The island is bigger than many think at population 80,000) There are ferrys from Dublin, Liverpool, Belfast. I would have loved to had a bike rental but couldn't find anything for a reasonable price so we rented a car.

Its a truly incredible experience and I have just scratched the surface. Americans are not common there and when people would here us talking, they were very interested in striking up conversations with us. We sat on picnic tables and on stone walls all over the track talking endlessly with folks from all over Europe.

Here is a link to my photo bucket album. I'll warn you, there are aA LOT of pictures!

http://s1056.photobucket.com/user/daltman0421/slideshow/IOM

Passwword: iom2013

I would be happy to answer anyones questions.

Wow that sounds like a lot of fun, not to mention an amazing race!

BTW, your pics album is password protected.

6th Wisconsin, I could not help myself looking at your photobucket album, with the password and all, but i figured you would not mind as I am originally from Stevens Point WI. You really take great pictures and I looked at em all. Thanks for sharing. Steve