• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Is your shifting rough these days...???

nando

Crotch Rocket
My shifting has been rough since inception.

It seems to have been healed by bleeding the clutch.

Others also experience rough shifting at lower rpm and a sort of silent grind at times. I told the mech who has been installing lights on my bike to check it. He bleed the clutch which now feels a lot smoother.

....thought I pass this on to you folks in case this turns out to be a prevalent solution

- have noticed that if i am drilling it and paying attention to getting the next gear quickly , the shifting is flawless.

- but if I am lazy about it (taking my time with the clutch , throttle & shift lever) the bike can buck pretty bad.

- whatever it is : the actually gearbox's shifting action is always positive without any strange noises. If you're experiencing crashing/grinding - something is definitely wrong.

dog said:
- have noticed that if i am drilling it and paying attention to getting the next gear quickly , the shifting is flawless.

- but if I am lazy about it (taking my time with the clutch , throttle & shift lever) the bike can buck pretty bad.

- whatever it is : the actually gearbox's shifting action is always positive without any strange noises. If you're experiencing crashing/grinding - something is definitely wrong.

This is what I'm experiencing also.  If I am lazy and slow, lower RPM (under 4000), and not putting much throttle-demand on anything, I can feel the "clunky".  I am thinking this is "Connie's" way of complaining.

Now, if I wind her up, adding the juice, and quickly shifting up through the gears..... everything is quite smooth, seemingly short throw distance to the next gear, and I can tell that Connie likes it.  LOL

I will know more when I rack up some miles.  Mine just had her first service. LOL

I noticed hard shifting immediately after changing oil at 500 miles. However, about 150 miles into it, things have smoothed out. So, if you've had a recent service (posting above), maybe the Connie is acclimating to the new oil that it may or may not like.

Oops, I said "oil"..  :popcorncouple:

Mine has had clunky gear shifts from day one. It is especially heavy shifting before the bike is completely warmed up.

As stated earlier, running briskly through the gears produces smoother shifts, as does clutchless upshifts. Personally, I feel that the heavy feeling throttle/twistgrip contributes a lot to the clunky shifts. I find it hard to match engine and wheel speed when making relaxed shifts. There is no deftness in the throttle.

I have not read Fred's links yet but I've experienced the clunky shifting as well and rolled back to the old days and started putting a mild preload the shifter and my issues were solved. Didnt know the mesh was this close but thats cool, as long as I know.
Like most wet clutches, the oil is key

Sweet tranny

Edit:
Now I need to bleed to clutch..Not sure if I'll see much of a difference but will give it a go. My preload is more of a light nudge anyway..

Yes, oil does make a difference,if you are not using something like Mobil 1 try it. Check the free play in the throttle cables, to much can cause shifting problems. Adjust the clutch leaver to fit you.A little pre load of the shiftier helps You should be able to make smooth shifts at any RPM. All riding conditions take a slightly different shifting method to have a smooth shift. Practice will make this one of the smoothest shifting bikes you have ever had. One more thing DON'T let anyone on this forum know you shift with out the clutch as some here think that's a no-no.

wayne_jenkins_CT said:
Yes, oil does make a difference,if you are not using something like Mobil 1 try it. Check the free play in the throttle cables, to much can cause shifting problems. Adjust the clutch leaver to fit you.A little pre load of the shiftier helps You should be able to make smooth shifts at any RPM. All riding conditions take a slightly different shifting method to have a smooth shift. Practice will make this one of the smoothest shifting bikes you have ever had. One more thing DON'T let anyone on this forum know you shift with out the clutch as some here think that's a no-no.

Good post  :great: I will add that if anyone is experiencing "bucking", then you need to get the bike looked at. This is assuming the phenomenon isn't due to an issue with riding skill, which I doubt, because shifting skills should have been honed-in well before stepping up to a 1400cc.

Leaving my neighborhood road, with bike not quite warmed up, looking out for kids  :nananana:, I shift at like 2100 RPM and it feels fine. Yes, there will be a "click" down in them RPM's, but THERE SHOULD BE NO BUCKING.

Preload is my friend, and I guess it is a habit now...bike is rough as a cob when cold, but no worries, seems normal! I've done clutchless with no problem when running appropriate RPM as well. YMMV, my fluid is fresh and break-in is over  :motonoises:

Check your oil level.  Make sure that when the oil is warm that your level is right in the middle of the site glass while on the center stand.  Its amazing the effect that a slight over fill can have on the shifting of this bike.  Just my own experience. ::)