• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

It's Bud's fault (my poor exhaust thread)

nomoreusmc6802

I have to blame Bud. He text me a picture and I saw his bright, beautiful mufflers. So after I rode today, I washed her, waxed her, and then I broke out the chrome polish and went to polishing my rust balls. I lost sunlight but I got the one on the right side done up pretty good and a once over on the other one. I was going to do 3 coats of wax and 3 times over on the mufflers. Another day I guess.

But things are never that simple. I discovered that all the plastic was super loose on the left side. And on the right side my passenger peg was super loose and the right hand muffler is just hanging in the pipe. I have some decel popping and I just figured it was part of the baffelectomy I was going to have to live with. Do I need a cup gasket or does kawi just bolt them down with a clamp? Any reason why all that was loose? Anything I should know before I take it tomorrow afternoon? 1000002671.jpg1000002670.jpg1000002669.jpg

Looks great. A little elbow grease goes a long way.
Kidding aside / You have come a long way to making it look great
Have you done the ground mod yet by SISF. I was amazed at how great my bike ran after that mod.

Dean

There is a lead and mesh gasket/ seal at the connections. Look for it inside the header. 2 fasteners to remove the muffler. 1 at the header pinch point the other at the peg. If the gasket is completely missing the muffler should flop around at the header. I didn't think you could tighten it down enough at the header without a gasket.

There is a lead and mesh gasket/ seal at the connections. Look for it inside the header. 2 fasteners to remove the muffler. 1 at the header pinch point the other at the peg. If the gasket is completely missing the muffler should flop around at the header. I didn't think you could tighten it down enough at the header without a gasket.
Not the header, muffler to mid pipe

Well she tightened up nice and the bike sounds different so I'm going to call that a success!

I then went around to all the bolts and screws and put a wrench or Allen key on them all. So many where hand tight or worse. My Harley didn't rattle fasteners loose like I found on this bike. Hopefully I lost some rattles, or at least won't be loosing parts going down the road. I almost lost both passenger pegs!

Tightened both battery terminals and did the free power mod. Bike is sideling about 100 rpms higher but does seem to be smoother. Haven't ridden it yet but it looks good so far.

Well she tightened up nice and the bike sounds different so I'm going to call that a success!

I then went around to all the bolts and screws and put a wrench or Allen key on them all. So many where hand tight or worse. My Harley didn't rattle fasteners loose like I found on this bike. Hopefully I lost some rattles, or at least won't be loosing parts going down the road. I almost lost both passenger pegs!

Tightened both battery terminals and did the free power mod. Bike is sideling about 100 rpms higher but does seem to be smoother. Haven't ridden it yet but it looks good so far.
Tiny dabs of blue loctite will save the hardware . Fairing screws tend to go mia also .

There is no mid pipe on the stock C10 exhaust - the mufflers connect to the header pipe. The gasket JPD is referring to is part #11009 here:

View attachment 36168
Well I guess that what happens when you make assumptions! Lol gasket was still there, not in amazing shape but there for now. It's already on my maintenance list, I'm getting my right shoulder replaced July 27th so about the middle of August I'm going to start working on the bike since it's the end of my riding season probably. It's a long list, but I will have the time.

I have to blame Bud. He text me a picture and I saw his bright, beautiful mufflers. So after I rode today, I washed her, waxed her, and then I broke out the chrome polish and went to polishing my rust balls. I lost sunlight but I got the one on the right side done up pretty good and a once over on the other one. I was going to do 3 coats of wax and 3 times over on the mufflers. Another day I guess.

But things are never that simple. I discovered that all the plastic was super loose on the left side. And on the right side my passenger peg was super loose and the right hand muffler is just hanging in the pipe. I have some decel popping and I just figured it was part of the baffelectomy I was going to have to live with. Do I need a cup gasket or does kawi just bolt them down with a clamp? Any reason why all that was loose? Anything I should know before I take it tomorrow afternoon? View attachment 36154View attachment 36155View attachment 36156
Those look like some of the Egypt military bike take-offs being sold a number of years ago. Besides a slew of J-Boxes, I also bought two sets of the mufflers but can't remember what model year they came off of. Took my one set off when I installed the Delkevics I'd won.

Last edited:
Those look like some of the Egypt military bike take-offs being sold a number of years ago. Besides a slew of J-Boxes, I also bought two sets of the mufflers but can't remember what model year they came off of. Took my one set off when I installed the Delkevics I'd won.
I don't know if I am going to go as far as slip-ons. You can sink a bunch of money in performance parts and carb tuning, almost enough to get a c14.

I added it up, bigger carbs, headwork, hand built exhaust, 17 inch wheel swap, carb tuning, cams, and probably dyno time with a wideband 02s to get the carbs just right. Then your going to need brake upgrades, and of course that's going to need to be on different forks, which probably means an upgrade to a radial master and 4 pot brakes.

Doing the work myself and not counting the stuff I have to fix a long the way $6400. Mid price c14 territory.

Straight up, I pesonally never really cared much for the C14 - that's just me. I test rode a few early on, including a demo ride at the ’07 National over in Canaan, WV. Admittedly, it’s an awesome machine, but I just wasn’t able to connect with the bike enough to entice me to dump out the req’d wad of bucks needed to buy one. I already had a perfectly good running ’95 C10 that didn’t have all the electronic gizmos so that I could work on if I had to. I don’t recall what mileage that bike had on it at the time, but I still have it and its still running strong (enough for me) with 204,000+ miles on the clock.

Coincidentally, the bike and I are headed over to WV tomorrow to spend a few days at the WV State Folk Festival in Glenville, where my dad and his siblings were born and raised back when the earth was still hot. Looking forward to it.

Straight up, I pesonally never really cared much for the C14 - that's just me. I test rode a few early on, including a demo ride at the ’07 National over in Canaan, WV. Admittedly, it’s an awesome machine, but I just wasn’t able to connect with the bike enough to entice me to dump out the req’d wad of bucks needed to buy one. I already had a perfectly good running ’95 C10 that didn’t have all the electronic gizmos so that I could work on if I had to. I don’t recall what mileage that bike had on it at the time, but I still have it and its still running strong (enough for me) with 204,000+ miles on the clock.

Coincidentally, the bike and I are headed over to WV tomorrow to spend a few days at the WV State Folk Festival in Glenville, where my dad and his siblings were born and raised back when the earth was still hot. Looking forward to it.
WOW, that's a few miles! I've been resisting the urge to ride one. I live in the sticks but it just so happens that the kawi dealer is about 10 miles away. And as I was passing by I saw a 14 out there and I almost stopped and test rode it. I think my Connie is great but I'd love fuel injection, more power and better brakes. Not to mention a tranny that doesn't have to be at 5500 to cruise the highway at 85mph. That being said I think every bike out there has it's flaws, which is why we mod our bikes. But now that kawi has started stripping us of our parts.... That's what I worry about. Carb parts especially.

TOM / You are so rt about the carb parts. If it were not for SISF help with his knowledge of the C-10 carbs a lot of people would be up S--- creek without a paddle. My local Kawasaki shop would not touch my C-10 because it is over 10 years old. I personally think that it is pitiful of them to make that rule. I have bought 6 motorcycles from them over the years and my 98 Honda Valkyrie which I bought from them new that was in need of a electrical repair they would not work on it. I went to Pensacola and got it done.

Dean

TOM / You are so rt about the carb parts. If it were not for SISF help with his knowledge of the C-10 carbs a lot of people would be up S--- creek without a paddle. My local Kawasaki shop would not touch my C-10 because it is over 10 years old. I personally think that it is pitiful of them to make that rule. I have bought 6 motorcycles from them over the years and my 98 Honda Valkyrie which I bought from them new that was in need of a electrical repair they would not work on it. I went to Pensacola and got it done.

Dean
Steve is going to get my carbs. God knows I haven't touched a carb in 10 or 12 years. Might as well let the expert do it!

On your fairing screws.
Gary Murphy {Murph's Kits} sales SS Alen head type screws with rubber washers on them.
No more fairing screw issues.

Ride safe, Ted

nomoreusmc6802 said:
I was watching the free power mod at about 11 pm one evening. I went out to the garage and did it in about 20 minutes and it made a big difference.

I also did it to my bike. It made a huge difference. It cranks easier & runs better than it ever did. Very pleased.

Dean

Tips- wipe some rtv on the threads of non torqued fasteners. They won’t loosen, and they will come right out when you intend them to. Wipe some never seize on the graphite muffler gaskets and you can remove the mufflers many times without damaging them. Want to hotrod your concours? Want a really fast one? From someone who has btdt… buy a c14.

Last edited: