• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

J&M or Autocom

I am trying to decide on how to equip the new 2010 Connie I got coming. I am trying to find out who has the J&M CB handlebar mount unit and any issues with it including limitations. Same goes with the Autocom unit. Likes/ dislikes/ install issues. Anything would be helpful. Thanks!!!

I'm a big fan of Autocom. Though they have recently been sold to StarCom, but I think the product line is being continued. Autocom probably has the best noise reduction system in the industry, and the quality of everything they make is top notch. I'm not very impressed with anything J&M sells. They seem to be way overpriced and the quality is not very good. I have also heard bad reports about their customer service.

I've been using the same Autocom system for several years now with no issues. On my 2004 Concours, I had it mounted under the seat and ran the wires along the frame under the gas tank. My 2009 C14 is very limited on space, and running wires up to the handle bars to GPS, and Radar Detector is more difficult cause the plastics fit so tight, so I've opted to try something different for a change. Last season I installed my autocom system in my tank bag and it worked out great, but its a little inconvenient when gassing up plus it take up quite a bit of room in the saddle bag. So this year, I purchased a small Chase Harper Bag that I velcrow to the top of the center glove box lid allowing me to gas up without interference plus I can also lift the glove box lid without removing the bag. The wires are a short run to the handle bars and the bag is powered from the bike. It takes only seconds to un-plug it and toss it my saddle bag and its barely takes up any space. It holds my entire Autocom system including 2 splitters for additional electronics and my Cobra GMRS Radio. Hope to give it a test run once the ice melts. Kevin

Kevin, that sounds like a nice set up. Do you have any photos of it? I have my new Autocom mounted in the tool box and ran the leads under the tank up to the front of the bike. There isn't much room under the seat on this bike at all. However, if you look at the seat pan, there is a large indention above the KIPASS reciever, and on my 2008, that is where I put the Autocom and it worked fine there. Super Pro AVI in tool box
large.jpg
Pro AVI on top of KIPASS
large.jpg
Full photo galleries here: http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/autocomproauto http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/c14autocom http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/autocomproavi

Hi Fred Since I can't figure out how to attach photos in this Forum like you did, I've posted my pictures on my server at the following link: http://gallery.me.com/ke.martin/100103 I have an Autocom Pro-7 Sport with 2 Isolators like you show in your photos so that I can run a voice operated Radar Detector along with my Cell Phone and Zumo. I also have a noise filter and all of the cables inside and my Cobra GMRS Radio in the top pocket. Works very well for me. I took a few photos for you to see my setup. I took it for a test run today since it finally warmed up to above freezing (35F) and no problem even on the bumpy roads with frost heaves. Regards Kevin

Fred, Kevin, Check out RKA Accessories. They do customized tankbags with communications systems. They are pretty sharp. www.rka-luggage.com 2001 Concours California COG #8642

Todd, I just installed an Autocom system last week. I am still fine tuning it but so far I am very happy with it. Unfortunately they just had a big price increase last week, I think I ordered just in time because I noticed today all the prices for every part were up substantially.

+1 on the Autocom vs J&M. My first Autocom lasted 10 years before the sound level mic gave up (they used to be in the connector out in the weather...) If I was handier I could probably solder in a new pick-up--the original cords are not available anymore

I too am trying to decide which way to go with an intercom. It seems to be that the bluetooth systems are the way to go. At present it appears to be a toss up between the Sena SMH10 and the Cardo Scala Rider G4. Has anyone tried either and found them to work perfectly? It appears that the G4 offers a bit more in the way of features but the Sena may have better low frequency response due to its larger speakers. Any comments would be helpful. Thanks.