• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Jbox mod using regular automotive relays: how I did it.

m in sc

Street Cruiser
Pretty sure the idea came from user jacksdad, but i may be wrong. anyway, got my spare j box, removed the old relays, and made external wiring to run regular automotive ones.

its pretty straightforward. what i did was (to explain the wiring colors) using each relay, the coil of the relay was referred to as + and -, colors being orange and black.

the switched circuit of each relay, which all are normally open, were yellow/yellow with back stripe. red/red with black stripe, and purple/purple with black stripe. that's was just for my own reference. so, you need 12 wires out of the j box.  stripe made with sharpie run along side of wire.

I made a small mounting plate, put it on the inner rear fender, tapped 3 mx holes, and used 2 thru bolts with fender washers. theres a foam gasket under the plate and black rtv to keep water out.

jbox-mod_02.jpg

pic above shows each relay has sets of + and - and relay 1 (s1-1, s1-2), relay 2 (s2-1, s2-2), relay 3 (s3-1, s3-2) these are switched leads.

jbox-mod_01.jpg

jbox-mod_03.jpg

wires were originally made about 9" long. each wire bundle of 4 were taped, and a small xip tie about 1/2" off the board used on the wires to act as a strain relief against the grommet.

jbox-mod_04.jpg

jbox-mod_06.jpg

jbox-mod_07.jpg

jbox-mod_09.jpg

m6x8mm with lockwashers

jbox-mod_08.jpg

jbox-mod_12.jpg

jbox-mod_11.jpg

so the black and orange always go to 86 and 85, and the 2 switched wires always go to 30 and 87.  midde terminal, 87a isn't used.

yes, it works fine. may not be how others do it but zero issues so far. 

hope this helps somebody.

now i can just carry a spare relay with me incase one goes hokey, but each one is good for 30A so its unlikely that will ever happen.  :beerchug:

You would need to loop your wire harness downward so as not to have water from car wash or rain drain down wires to j-box. Rubber gromets and even sealer are not enough.

already ahead of you, acrually, I zip tied them down to make a low point at the frame tube. just didnt take a pic. however, wasnt that worried, so many of the 40+ year old bikes I have are much more open and dont have issues.