• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Joe Rocket, never again

Gigantor

Sad to say I'll never buy anything made by Joe Rocket. Yesterday I wore my Joe Rocket Atomic 5.0 textile jacket for the first time. The ride was only 85 miles and the weather was nice. When I arrived at my destination I was greeted by my wife and right away she pointed out a huge tear in the side of my jacket.

Somewhere along the ride a tear along the seam occured. Had to have happened while I was riding. For those of you who know me, hold off on the day jokes. I've lost 70 pounds and the jacket was loose fitting. This isn't the first jacket this has happened to. My other two Joe Rocket jackets have also developed a separation at the seams but they occurred many riding seasons later. Unfortunately too much time has passed since I purchased the jacket and it's easy beyond the warranty period. I bought it 3 years ago but never used it until yesterday.

So as I ponder how this happened it brings me to the most important question, how would it hold up if I had gone down with the bike. I'm attaching a pic so you can see what I'm talking about.

Anybody know if Aerostitch has discounted sales during the year? Or I'm open to suggestions on quality riding gear.

Attachments

• PXL_20230902_192508303.jpg
    PXL_20230902_192508303.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 92
I'm in the same boat as you. I bought a "mid" line of Joe Rocket jacket, and the quality was just not there. I didn't feel protected even with the upgraded armor. I'm wearing it for now because it's all I got, but I'm looking to buy either a motoport or Aerostitch mesh jacket.

:eek: That looks like poor quality craftsmanship.

I have been pleased with the quality, ruggedness, fit and venting of my Sedici Avventura jacket. It does have a separate liner for waterproofness, coming from Tourmaster I didn’t think I would like that but it has been no biggie and makes the jacket a bit lighter / more breathable.

Believe the brand Sedici is actually an in-house brand for RevZilla / Cycle Gear. It is not discount gear though so don’t think it’s junk as it’s far from that.

My wife uses FirstGear and likes their fit, and it’s definitely high quality; @ nearly twice the price it had better be.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

:eek: That looks like poor quality craftsmanship.

I have been pleased with the quality, ruggedness, fit and venting of my Sedici Avventura jacket. It does have a separate liner for waterproofness, coming from Tourmaster I didn’t think I would like that but it has been no biggie and makes the jacket a bit lighter / more breathable.

Believe the brand Sedici is actually an in-house brand for RevZilla / Cycle Gear. It is not discount gear though so don’t think it’s junk as it’s far from that.

My wife uses FirstGear and likes their fit, and it’s definitely high quality; @ nearly twice the price it had better be.

Wayne, Carol & Blue
Thanks for the reply, I was looking at that exact Sedici jacket. I've owned their gloves and have had no problems with them. Too bad cycle gear doesn't stock my size, they would have to ship it which I might do.

Aerostick runs a few Pop Up sale events across the country. The last one on the east coast was in Cherry Hill NJ. My first Darien Jacket/Pants set only lasted 22 years :cool: . The gear can be sent back to Duluth for replacement of repairs of basic stuff like zippers and velcro, as well as repairs do to wear, and sometime even from a get off.

Aerostick runs a few Pop Up sale events across the country. The last one on the east coast was in Cherry Hill NJ. My first Darien Jacket/Pants set only lasted 22 years :cool: . The gear can be sent back to Duluth for replacement of repairs of basic stuff like zippers and velcro, as well as repairs do to wear, and sometime even from a get off.
Wow, only 22 years. For that kind of money it should've lasted at least 25. Wait does that mean you were the same size for 22 years, I can't stay the same size 2 Thanksgivings in a row. The largest size they carry is a 52 so if there's ever a pop up anywhere nearby I'd defiantly go and see if they can make something that'll fit me. Or I could lose some more weight but who are we kidding.

I have a one piece aerostich roadcrafter for cool and cold weather. It's easy to put on and take off. Quality everywhere. Bought it used on eBay several years ago for $425. I'd buy that again. This year, for warm weather, I found a used motoport mesh jacket and pants with suspenders for $600 on eBay. Love that set as well and the previous owner is a new friend. Doesn't get better than that. The way I found both was to save searches on eBay. Every time a new one is listed, you'll get a notification email. Search Craigslist and FB marketplace as well. Use search tempest to search Craigslist Nation wide. HTH

I have a 25+ year old Joe Rocket jacket that's still in great shape but one I bought a few years ago failed within a couple years ( stitching came loose all over) . I wear a Vanson perforated leather jacket mostly now . Love that jacket .

I have a one piece aerostich roadcrafter for cool and cold weather. It's easy to put on and take off. Quality everywhere. Bought it used on eBay several years ago for $425. I'd buy that again. This year, for warm weather, I found a used motoport mesh jacket and pants with suspenders for $600 on eBay. Love that set as well and the previous owner is a new friend. Doesn't get better than that. The way I found both was to save searches on eBay. Every time a new one is listed, you'll get a notification email. Search Craigslist and FB marketplace as well. Use search tempest to search Craigslist Nation wide. HTH
I bought an areostitch Darien jacket and pants off Ebay four years ago. The jacket was worn 5 times and the pants twice, they were like new! They were even my size. I paid $350!! I still can't believe that I got areostitch in that condition for that price!

Sad to say I'll never buy anything made by Joe Rocket. Yesterday I wore my Joe Rocket Atomic 5.0 textile jacket for the first time. The ride was only 85 miles and the weather was nice. When I arrived at my destination I was greeted by my wife and right away she pointed out a huge tear in the side of my jacket.

Somewhere along the ride a tear along the seam occured. Had to have happened while I was riding. For those of you who know me, hold off on the day jokes. I've lost 70 pounds and the jacket was loose fitting. This isn't the first jacket this has happened to. My other two Joe Rocket jackets have also developed a separation at the seams but they occurred many riding seasons later. Unfortunately too much time has passed since I purchased the jacket and it's easy beyond the warranty period. I bought it 3 years ago but never used it until yesterday.

So as I ponder how this happened it brings me to the most important question, how would it hold up if I had gone down with the bike. I'm attaching a pic so you can see what I'm talking about.

Anybody know if Aerostitch has discounted sales during the year? Or I'm open to suggestions on quality riding gear.
My leather jacket is a Joe Rocket and I love it! Sounds as though they are not adept at the fabric styles. I found a mesh Noru at a great sale price and gave it a chance. I had to upgrade the back pad to CE level; however, the jacket has been awesome. I also picked up some Joe Rocket riding jeans and have had great luck with them. Their boots do not have a great reputation either. Have heard of them coming apart and having buckles fall off. It is a chance to go with the mid to low priced gear for sure…but can pay off.

Last edited:
That stinks Alex.
I have a Scorpion jacket I bought in 2010 and use it often. High-vis section has faded some but still solid.
I'm also on my 2nd First Gear mesh jacket (don't ask about the 1st...let's just say it got "used up"). The 2nd one seems to have some cost-savings in the features, but same build quality.
I've also had 2 Olympia mesh pants, also "used up" the first one, but they did their job and the 2nd set is holding up very well after 6 seasons.
Good luck!!
And good on the 70 lbs. :)

Like I said it's hard to find my size. Luckily I found an Aerostitch Roadcrafter jacket on sale for $707. On top of that they have a sale going on taking 15% off anything in stock so with shipping it came out to about $625. I'm hoping it'll fit and if not it's an incentive to lose more weight.

134_5d_1.jpg
If Tom Ford designed riding gear, this would be it.

Reactions: Bud
I have kind of a love/hate relationship with Joe Rocket too. My main jacket is a solid leather one (probably about 20 years old at this point), and it's got a nice fit and has held up well (I wipe it with some leather oil every few years when it starts feeling dry). The only thing that bothers me is the flexible panels on the inside of the elbows/biceps, which provide good ventilation, but have no way to close them off, so my arms get cold in cool weather. Otherwise it's a great multi-season jacket for the Midwest here.

But, this spring I was looking for some riding pants and tried two different Joe Rocket textile pants, and the fits were just odd, and I'm a pretty average build (34/32 jeans, 5'-9" and 170lbs). A size with the right waist was binding and tight in the legs on one model, and baggy and swimming in another. Maybe they fit someone, but not me.

FWIW - my money’s on the Stitch gear.

The blue/silver 2-piece Stitch I had lasted a little over 20 years. It did have to go back for pants zipper replacement, as did the jacket for some other minor repairs and a mod after a number of years. Had them lengthen the collar close strap so the Velcro would stay latched. At the end of its life the pants zipper started separating again, so I decided to replace it. Can’t complain because I wore that suit literally every day on my daily commute to work. I also took it on and off frequently at lunch time. It was also my standard attire for many a road trip and local rides over the years.

A local gave me his used red/black 2-piece when he stopped riding. Fortunately, he was tall like myself, so it was a perfect fit. The jacket was a little sun faded, but the pants were like new. Still use the pants today in combination with a mesh Fulmer jacket in the summer, add the zip-in liner when it starts to get cooler, then switch to the Stitch jacket in the winter mos. My blue Stitch went to another local who wanted to use it for off road use after patching it up as best he could.

Like I said it's hard to find my size. Luckily I found an Aerostitch Roadcrafter jacket on sale for $707. On top of that they have a sale going on taking 15% off anything in stock so with shipping it came out to about $625. I'm hoping it'll fit and if not it's an incentive to lose more weight.

View attachment 36889
If Tom Ford designed riding gear, this would be it.
@Gigantor how did the Roadcrafter work out?

Wayne, Carol & Blue

I have owned numerous leather and synthetic jackets over the years. My favorite cool weather jacket is an old Cortech jacket that is faded from use and looks kinda worn out... but... it is a warm and comfortable and I love it. The only issue is the aluminum zipper pull became weak and wouldn't engage the zipper in a secure way and the zipper would just pull apart after zipping it up therefor making the jacket useless. I searched and asked around for a new zipper pull mechanism and couldn't find anything. At that point I was considering getting a new zipper installed. Then, one day I am looking at the jacket and discovered the zipper pull for the rear zipper that attaches in the back to connect to a matching pair of pants... you know... to keep the rear draft out. Low and behold the zipper pull was exactly what I was looking for and it was there all the time.
I have ridden in mid 30 degree weather for short rides and stayed warm enough to not be bothered with the temps.

I also own a newer Cortech cool weather riding jacket in all black with the reflective piping, inner zip out liner and with a slightly longer waist area. You would think this jacket would compare with my favorite jacket mentioned above for heat retention in cool weather. It doesn't do that, In fact, the rib area just above the waist area gets cold for some reason and for no reason I can identify when I look at how its made. Hmmmm....