• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Just another newbie to the site... in Virginia

Birdshot

Big Wheel
Been looking at the Concours for over a year, we just purchased or first "Connie" this month; a 2002 with 15k.  I have a fair amount of riding experience (>40 years on and off) but not in large groups.  Previous 2 wheelers include; dirt bikes, dual sports, streets, a cruiser and now my Connie.  I live a little south of Richmond, VA - 2 miles from I-95 and love my girl so far - hard to figure out items i want but will research individual areas of forum for those.  Currently we have a 2004 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100 also but that will be going soon.  Already eyeballing the C14 but not too sure as I read more about our chosen roadmate, awesome bike but sounds like you never want to let her lay down - dont think her bigger sister would be easier to get back on her feet.  So far (<500 miles) I am doing ok giving her plenty of respect, need tires so taking it very easy until we get new shoes and more practice... already slipped once powering out of a turn on ME880's.  Hope to never need a CDA#.  The wife is pleased with our girl and likes the change from the Shadow, especially the storage  :) - look forward to learning more, will likely take the advanced course this year once i get used to her and hope to meet fellow COGers in the future.  Keep the bars up high, Todd.  Stay  8)

^-^ Hey Todd and Wife! It's great to have you here. All that and pleasing the little lady as well! 'Ol Connie is a pleaser not a teaser!

I have heard the me880's wear forever but are a bit easy to get loose. I ended up with a second set of original shoes (Dunlop) on ConRad (06 C10) due to to a great deal on the front new/used (25$) but was looking toward longer wearing shoes as a commuter.

As many have said wisely... Ride her a while before making many changes to see what you need the most after tires. I needed taller bars and higher shield and wanted a throttlemeister and I have yet to figure out what I want next and it's been 14k miles for me now.

I would love to do an advanced rider course and really get to know his (and my) limits so I think that would be a great next step! You have a good solid group in your region and I am sure there will be many in to greet you.

The other thing I would quickly look at is the membership. I got mine the same or next day after the bike and it has been the best investment I have made for the bike and myself! That and a manual.. either Clymer, Kawasaki or both.

I rented a C14 before finding mine a couple of years later. The 14 was a bit taller but didn't seem much heavier. The power was more liquid and constant and deceptive. The C10 lets you know you are getting there and the 14 is there before you even realize it! There are great things about both but I hope to stay with the C10 for my frugal side as long as possible and hope for 250 to 300k out of ConRad before the next decision comes. I love that he loves to dring regular gas and there is little I will be afraid to tackle on him mechanically. No warranty so I WILL be learning and that is the beauty of the people you will find here. They love to help!
Anyway, I ramble! Congrats and welcome to the clubhouse.. Stay out of the CDA room if at all possible! and enjoy the miles and the smiles!

Doug and ConRad

Tires cant wait, they grab pretty good under normal driving but they have some dry rot cracks and "feel" wrong.  also with the dual compound (i suspect) they are cupping pretty bad so I am being careful.  the previous owner gave me a manual with her.  he had cut the shield down and made a big one from lexan.  using small one right now, also plan on having a mechanic locally dyno/tune her and give her a once over.  its got a givi trunk/backrest which is nice.  thanks for the welcome.