• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

just got my first Concours and have a question

Lentz

It's a leftover 2017 model and I'm starting the farkling process. First up, McCruise, power hub, Garmin and radar detector. I'll eventually get round to the suspension, probably next winter. I've also got a 2017 Z1000SX so the Connie is more of a straight tourer for me.  I'm going Traxxion on my Z1000SX but I would like a hydraulic pre-load adjuster on the Connie because it's primarily for 2 up riding. Racetech makes a rear shock with hydraulic pre-load adjustment. I did a search on Racetech and came up dry.

With that background, now the question.  Anyone had any experience with the Racetec on a C14? Thanks in advance for the answers.

Welcome to the forum.

Can't help with the Racetec but your going to love the McCruise.  I use my Garmin on almost every ride I take and like that too.

Cannon Cages are also a good addition as their protection is well noted and they provide a nice place to mount foot pegs.

Thanks for the reply Silver. Nice to know about the McCruise. It was expensive but I thought the stock connectors and plug and play denoted a quality unit that wouldn't let me down on a trip.  :)

Welcome!!
I'll echo the comments about the MC Cruise. My bikes previous owner installed it, and it works fantastically!  It holds speed to =/- 1 MPH over any hills.

Not sure where you are in the SE region, but this Saturday there is a large gathering in Titusville FL. It's a yearly event that's been going on for many years. If you're within riding distance, you may want to check it out. It will give you a very quick intro to what COG is like (maybe this is a bad idea :-X).
It's a lunch meeting at the Dixie Crossroads, and like I said, it's well attended, and good food.

Jorge

Thanks Jorge. People in the club sure are friendly.  :beerchug:

I'm in Memphis, TN so a bit far away to make the gathering. We're having a polar bear ride up here on New Years. I imagine that will be my ride. Hope to get down your way sometime and meet the crew though and again, thanks for the invite.

I have had the same problem, there doesn't seem to be a bunch of info on suspension for this bike. When I first started riding my '15 I was positively appalled at the suspension action on both ends. It was brutal.
I will say the bike has responded surprisingly well to adjustments, enough so that I don't feel urgency to replace forks or shock. The damping adjusters, particularly on the rear, are mega sensitive and affect both rebound and some compression. Mine was miles off from the factory. I ride 2 up almost exclusively. The chassis is quite good with a passenger and a load, but I found that maybe 90% of the damping range on the shock is flat wrong. You'll have to find that narrow workable area, then things get better. IIRC this good area was in the neighborhood of 2 turns out from fully seated, but don't quote me on that. On my bike, 1/4 turn can make or break.
I ended up with a bit more preload in the front than factory, and depending on temperature run 2-5 clicks off of full soft on damping. I can't remember the rear settings exactly, but I find my 105 lb passenger takes +3 preload clicks, the bags +1, full bags +2. I weigh 180 and normaĺly ride, shall we say, briskly.
I don't know what part of the country you are in, but I would check in with Roger Albert with On Road Off Road in Austin TX. He is a Race Tech dealer and is profoundly knowledgeable. He has helped me immensely through the years at the track.

Good info Lee. Just went to the TX Hill country last year with a bunch of buddies and Austin is not too far from there. With the rally there, it's kind of a natural. I'll try tinkering with the stock suspension first.

Lentz said:
Anyone had any experience with the Racetec on a C14? Thanks in advance for the answers.

Most here go with Traxxion or Ohlin's, with the majority being Traxxion. I don't know of anyone with Racetec.

Lentz said:
I'm in Memphis, TN

Well you're just a short ride over to the good roads in Arkansas. Not that you don't have plenty of your own in east TN. You'll need to check out the ride section for Horseshoe Mountain Rendezvous in April.

I personally guarantee you a good time. Not mention all the great people you'll meet from all over!

Oh yeah, welcome to the clan!

Cliff  :beerchug: 

Lentz,

I am adding some farkles to my Conni this winter as I inspect the valve clearance. After some research I am going to upgrade front and rear suspension with RaceTech. I will let you know what I think in a few months.

antibus said:
Lentz,

I am adding some farkles to my Conni this winter as I inspect the valve clearance. After some research I am going to upgrade front and rear suspension with RaceTech. I will let you know what I think in a few months.

Hi,
      Racetech, Traxxion, Penske, Ohlin's...... >:D

Anything is an improvement! (my opinion!) ;D

Attachments

• 2548289243_0a04fa421a_b.jpg
    2548289243_0a04fa421a_b.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 118
antibus said:
Lentz,

Thanks Antibus. I'm sure I'm not the only one that would like to know so thanks for blazing the trail.

Just Cliff said:
Lentz said:
Anyone had any experience with the Racetec on a C14? Thanks in advance for the answers.

Most here go with Traxxion or Ohlin's, with the majority being Traxxion. I don't know of anyone with Racetec.

Lentz said:
I'm in Memphis, TN

Well you're just a short ride over to the good roads in Arkansas. Not that you don't have plenty of your own in east TN. You'll need to check out the ride section for Horseshoe Mountain Rendezvous in April.

I personally guarantee you a good time. Not mention all the great people you'll meet from all over!

Thanks Cliff. I make it over to the Mountain View area fairly frequently. Planning a run to the NC area with a few of my buddies this summer. I've got a set of AK20's for my Z1000SX/Ninja ABS but haven't put them in yet. I did put on the Penske shock I bought from them but I was the first 2017 they had sold and I had to prototype the mounting for them as far as the indexing of the  remote reservoir hose fitting (it had to be mounted on the bottom too, not the top) and a mount for the reservoir. Attached is a prototype for the reservoir mount. The final has a elliptical cross section on top for the hose clamp and is at the hard annodizer's now. This type mount should work for the Concours too and may be of interest to others here.

Attachments

• DSC_0033 small.jpg
    DSC_0033 small.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 112
Congratulations I myself just bought the 2017 C 14 on December 28.  I have so many questions but will spend my time reading through the blogs as to not upset anyone for repeated questions.

Congrats on the new rides. Fun times ahead ... I'm sure many here will offer plenty of advise re: farkling.

Happy New Year all !

Lentz said:
Just Cliff said:
Lentz said:

Lentz said:
I'm in Memphis, TN

Thanks Cliff. I make it over to the Mountain View area fairly frequently.

Mountain View is just 75 miles north of me. Let me know sometime when you're headed over. I sorta know the roads around here!

Thanks Cliff. Will do on the Mountain View roads. Road Runner has also laid out several rides from there too.