• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Just joined the COG

jimiz

I am a newbie here in this forum and a new owner of a '04 Connie.  I just joined the COG.  I will be taking the bike on a cross country ride the first of May from Oregon to South Carolina and back.  I was curious of how soon I would get the member list so that I have some experienced help along the way......hoping that I won't need it.  (Crossed fingers)

DSCI0423-even%20smaller.jpg

Welcome to the club and forum. I don't know when you actually joined, if you were in before the cutoff point for printing of the member directory. But if you did miss it and there's no spare available. A lot of us will offer up our older book as something to use. It may not be totally up to date, but is still really good to have. So first we'll have to find out if you will be on the mailing list or not (I don't know). But you may be fine. If that's the case you'll probably be seeing one soon. I think they usually come in the spring.
Whens your trip? If close, using an older book may still be an possible option, if it's close. By the way, log out and back in to see if your COG number is available yet. Unless you literally just  joined, it may be in the system.

:welcome:

jimiz said:
I am a newbie here in this forum and a new owner of a '04 Connie.  I just joined the COG.  I will be taking the bike on a cross country ride the first of May from Oregon to South Carolina and back.  I was curious of how soon I would get the member list so that I have some experienced help along the way......hoping that I won't need it.  (Crossed fingers)

Great looking bike.  Welcome to COG and the forum.  ^-^    I don't think I have ever used my member book, and don't think about taking it with me.  I wonder if it is online, so you could access the member with a laptop or smart phone?  Can anybody help with this?

What part of SC are you heading for?  You will be in some great riding areas coming across the USA in MO, AR, TN, NC GA and SC

Hi Jimi
^-^

I took a quick peek... you joined this forum 3/12, and joined COG yesterday (4/6) and it looks like membership has not had a chance to assign a COG number yet.  The directory data and mailing list was already sent to the publisher and the directory is being processed.  I'm sure folks will begin posting here when they start arriving in mailboxes. If you do not get one at that time, contact the volunteer membership director with an via email, as he usually has a few extra copies printed.

It's too bad you could not extend your trip and try to make it to the COG National Rally in Vermont this August.

^-^  Welcome to the club!  When you headed to SC and what part of the state?  You're welcome to stay at my place (assuming that the missus and I are there). 

Welcome to the group!

You will have quite an adventure riding cross country.  :)

I just finished a cross country (Northern California to South Carolina) trip last month as well. Unfortunately it wasn't for pleasure, but it was a much needed "me time" kind of trip.

Ride safe and pack rain gear.  ;)

Thanks all.  I did just join last night so my membership # isn't quite showing up yet.  No biggie.  I will be heading out May 2nd from Veneta, Oregon.  I am visiting family and friends in Mtn. Home, AR - Sullivan, MO - St. Louis - and then ending at my dad's in Charleston, SC.  He just moved there so it gave me a reason to make the trip.  I'm looking at stopping at the Grand Canyon, Flagstaff/Sedona, and thru Roswell.

I'd llike to take the ride from Nanchez, MS up to Nashville and the Blue Ridge Parkway, but those rides go mostly north and south and make it tough to logically fit into the trip.  However, I am going to try and make up time on the main HWY's so I can hop off and do at least on of these great rides.

Ranger Jim - Thank you very much for the hospitality.  I may be open to staying with someone along the way but once I get to SC, probably hanging with the old man.

So if anyone has suggestions of some nice rides going along the route I mentioned above, please post some suggestions.  There is so much info online about great motorcycle rides.  But I'd like to hear from this group as well.  I am working on this route in my head and with the atlas.  I am going to try and get it into Mapsource so I can upload to the Nuvi 550 for my trip.  I don't know how to show it on here since it spreads out so far.  Then I could get suggestions for places to stay or not to stay.

Thanks for the warm welcomes!

Welcome Jimiz,
Do not cut your time short in Ar. and on your way to and out of Mt. Home.  Some of the best riding in the country is in the NW part of Arkansas.  There are members close to Mt. Home.  If you want to make contact with them and can not get a member book easy as I hope you will I have one I can send you.  If you want to talk more about what roads are great up in Ar. let me know.  16, 23, 7, 123, 341-Push Mt. come to mind off the top of my head.

Yeah, Welcome Jimiz.  You have a beautiful bike.  I hpoe you enjoy her and your time her both.  We'd love to see you on your trip, but it doesn't appear you'll be getting this far south (near Houston).  In any case enjoy your trip and we'll hope for a nice repport upon your return.  Keep us posted as to receiving your membership goodies.

smithr-scad said:
Welcome Jimiz,
Do not cut your time short in Ar. and on your way to and out of Mt. Home.  Some of the best riding in the country is in the NW part of Arkansas.  There are members close to Mt. Home.  If you want to make contact with them and can not get a member book easy as I hope you will I have one I can send you.  If you want to talk more about what roads are great up in Ar. let me know.  16, 23, 7, 123, 341-Push Mt. come to mind off the top of my head.

I used to live in Mtn. Home and Push Mtn. was my favorite ride.  Most days you had to worry about hitting other bikes coming toward you not other traffic (cars,etc).  It's a great road.  The area is beautiful.  I only left because of a job offer.  However, I do love Oregon.  There are more different terrains here to ride around which keeps me motivated to keep exporing.

PS - I'm still a pee-on COG# "forum"    :'(

jimiz said:
Awwwww... don't worry, it's nothing personal... It's not automated, an actual person has to assign you a COG number selected just for you!  ;) Welcome to the fun!

Welcome to the asylum Jim!  Always thought about a nice long tour like that but just haven't had the time to pull it off.  Scrape some pegs for me! :welcome:

^-^ Welcome!  Thanks for joining.  Are you doing anything July 22-25?  We're having our Northwest Regional Rally in Wenatchee, WA that weekend.  Here's a link to the listing on the calendar http://www.cog-online.org/clubportal/EventDisplayNew.cfm?clubID=1328&EventID=138221&mo=7&tDate={d%20%272011-07-08%27}  In fact, here's a link to the calendar itself http://www.cog-online.org/clubportal/Calendar.cfm?clubID=1328  Feel free to look through the listings for different months.  You may just find something you like.  If you think there should be more, you can always initiate something yourself.  The more we can get everybody involved, the more fun we can have.  Steve Mustoe is our Oregon AAD, and he's not too far from you.
I see several folks have offered up their copies of an older member listing.  If you find your way to the Seattle area before someone mails one to you, I'll hand one to you in person.  Or just send me some kind of message (e-mail, PM, phone call, carrier pigeon) and I'll drop one in the mail.  The best way would be to get a current issue from Darrell Anderson, our Membership Secretary.  He can be contacted via membership@cog-online.org , but it may be best to wait until you see folks posting about getting theirs before asking him for an extra.  That way he won't have to remember your request for more than a few minutes. :hee20hee20hee:
  Once again, thanks for joining the group.  See you on the road!

jimiz said:

Try logging out and then logging back in. The magical COG number may then appear!  :)  That works in your number has been assigned.

Jim,  A must do ride that actually goes through Venita is Steve Mustoe's Coast Ramble held about the first weekend in June. 
He leads a route from Eugene on mostly BLM roads down to Bandon I think.  Then south to Florence and back to Eugene.  Did it once a couple of years ago and would like to again, but it is a long ride for me just to get there.
It is posted on the calendar that Charlie already linked to.
Dano's Volcano ride is another really good one.  It is in August in the Mt Saint Helen's area.

That is one CLEAN looking Connie!.

Come and take a ride down to Winston via the "backroads" someday and I'll be happy to show off some local fav's.

Oh and welcome!  ^-^