• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Just Ordered Angel GT

dalroo

Road Bike
I replaced the OEM tires with the Angel STs (190/50) at about 5,500 miles. I am now just shy of 14,000 - so approaching 8,500 miles on the STs. The front still looks good, no cupping or flat spot yet. The rear however needs to be replaced. It has a pretty good flat spot and I am starting to see the outline of the chords through the rubber.

I called my tire guys this morning to order a new ST in the 55, and he told me that while he can still get on, the ST has been discontinued. As has been reported, Pirelli is coming out with the GT which is billed as a better solution for sport touring. Unfortunately, the GT is on backorder with estimated ship date in late February.

Since I do not have any significant trips planned, I went ahead and had him pre-order me an Angel GT - 190/55/17. $190 + install. I will post my impressions once it is on and I have a few miles on the new tire, and the new size.

Definitely curious as to how soon it comes in. I'm taking a 5500 mile trip on My Connie in May, and would like the GTs on Her if they are available by then.

The Pirelli guys are talking 15-20% greater mileage than the ST...I think it'll be worth the wait...interesting...as far as the GTs are concerned, I see there are 190/50zr17s in stock...no 55s yet...but, there is also an "A" spec version that will be available in a 180/55, 190/50, and 190/55 17 inch size...although not in stock yet...

Mac,

The GTs are available now in stock sizes...

I went ahead and ordered PR3s. My tires are getting pretty thin, and I wanted to try a 55 series on the rear. I'm very pleased with the angels though. Still, the PR3 rain siping won Me over.

Mac said:
I went ahead and ordered PR3s. My tires are getting pretty thin, and I wanted to try a 55 series on the rear. I'm very pleased with the angels though. Still, the PR3 rain siping won Me over.

Darn good tires, they are!

Bad news on the GT Review - checked on my tire shipment and the backorder was extended from February 28th to March 28th. I am running on chords and can't really ride until tire replaced, so I went with option B and will replace with another Angel ST, but a 55 this time. I'm disappointed as I was looking forward to the longer wear, but I've really liked the ST and know what I am getting.

FYI - I went online and checked several sources for tires, and none have the GTs in yet. I will have to wait another 8000 miles or so before trying one out.

Dalroo said:
Bad news on the GT Review - checked on my tire shipment and the backorder was extended from February 28th to March 28th. I am running on chords and can't really ride until tire replaced, so I went with option B and will replace with another Angel ST, but a 55 this time. I'm disappointed as I was looking forward to the longer wear, but I've really liked the ST and know what I am getting.

FYI - I went online and checked several sources for tires, and none have the GTs in yet. I will have to wait another 8000 miles or so before trying one out.

8,000 miles would make my day, I can only dream of that kind of mileage. Last three sets of PR3's got me 8 months which equaled 14,500 miles!

Cliff  :beerchug:

I can't get 8,000 miles out of the PR3's, not even close, but I like them enough, that I will continue to use them. 

I'm thinking it might be best to hold out for the 'A-spec' variant for heavier bikes like the Connie.

That being said, American moto tire is showing that the standard Angel is approved for the C14, so who knows?

I have noticed that the Ducati Monater comes with the Angel ST now, so maybe it's good enough for bigger bikes?

Reason I ask is because I used to run the bias Sport Demon on my C10. It was super sticky but clearly designed for a bike that is about 200lbs lighter. Hope this helps.

Unfortunately, I was a week or so early on this. I was waiting for the GT in 55 which I think was the hold up. I couldn't ride on the old tire, so was parked and decided to go ahead with ST in 55 and try again for the GT next time. Thanks for the info though.