• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Kabuto Ibuki modular helmet

Yep, I pulled the trigger on it to replace my starter helmet. Looks like a feature-rich environment.

Went home between jobs, grabbed it and brought it with me, just unboxed it and got all the labels and etc. off of it. Nice unit. Unfortunately, the weather is garbage here the next couple days so may not get to test ride it til the weekend, but it's clearly a major step up.

The next question is, install the Pinlock insert or no?

Thud300 said:
The next question is, install the Pinlock insert or no?
Works great in mine, YMMV.  I have subjected it to some pretty chilly temps in the short time I've had it.  No fit issues, popped right into the guide pins.

Love the helmet - and personally recommend the pinlock - hope it fits your head as well as it does mine :great: 

:beerchug:

It's a huge step up from my old helmet (equivalent to Bilt Apollo). Extremely quiet, rides are quite different now, it's much harder to hear what's going on around me. Wish the chin vent was a little more effective, other than that this helmet is a huge win at the price paid.

First ride was without the Pinlock on a cool damp night. Visor down, fog city. Installed the Pinlock for the second ride the next night. Works a treat.

Here's the review I posted on beginnerbikers.com :

I've read a lot of good things about this helmet, which I found on eBay for 160 shipped. So I pulled the trigger on it, and it's a whole new experience compared to my first helmet, equivalent to the Bilt Apollo.

The Kabuto Ibuki is said to be in the same class as the higher-end modulars, for a whole lot less money. Think HJC, Shoei and Schuberth (!)

Received it a few days ago. Metallic Shiny Black, not my first choice, but just finding one of these in my size (medium) at this price, I rolled with it. It's a feature rich environment.

The shell is a lightweight multi-layer composite, molded to minimize wind turbulence. Very nice fit and finish. The top vents are large and super easy to find and operate. The chin strap uses a ratchet system with a dual action release mechanism; it still has a D-ring for locking the helmet to your bike. The modular front releases easily with a lever on the left side, strongly detents in its raised position, and closes securely over two large pins. There is no creaking noise when operating the front. The visor is strongly detented, thick and clear, is Pinlock ready, and they included a Pinlock insert. It has a dark inner visor that raises and lowers smoothly via a cable system, and it can be adjusted for desired position. The inner visor is replaceable, mirrored lenses are available. Chin curtain comes installed, breath guard comes in the box.

The interior padding is Coolmax, strongly wicking and antimicrobial, and it has a nice feel to it. The pad design allows for the use of eyeglasses without smashing them against your head; provided you put the glasses on after the helmet is on. The padding includes removable inserts for a comm system. The fit is a snug intermediate oval, the padding feels plush yet firm. At the bottom rear of the neck roll there are two reflectors for conspicuity.

Test wearing, there were no pressure points, but I felt a little squished, especially the cheek pads which had me biting the insides of my cheeks just a bit.

The first ride with it was on a cool damp night after a lot of rain. This new helmet was so good, it was disorienting. It's very quiet; it's much harder to hear the bike, and what's going on around me. Wind noise at speed was greatly diminished, and there wasn't a huge difference in noise level between visor opened and closed, except when closed some fogging was experienced because the Pinlock insert wasn't installed. The breath guard was installed, but it's too small to have much effect keeping the visor clear. On the slab, some muffled wind noise was experienced, but far far less than the old helmet, which had a LOT of noise when the visor was closed.

The ventilation is kind of jekyll and hyde. The top vents, front and rear, are huge and they move a lot of air through the top of the helmet. The chin vent is easy to operate but the airflow from it is hardly noticable; this is my only gripe about the helmet.

Second ride, with the Pinlock installed. I became more accustomed to the helmet, and it became more comfortable, but the quietness with earplugs is still disconnecting me from the environment a bit; the Pinlock insert kept the visor fog free, but added a bit of optical distortion to the visor. The big difference that I'm observing is, it's comfortable to ride with the visor down; the old helmet was extremely noisy with the visor closed at speed. This was a longer ride and I was very pleased with the helmet. At the end of this ride, though, my Connie developed a leaky radiator hose  so now that bike is in the garage with the plastics off awaiting repair.

So today out comes the 454, a sort of acid test for the quietness of this helmet, the 454 is much louder and high revving that the Connie. Tonight's extended ride to work was a whole different experience wearing the Kabuto. Way, way quieter ride than with the old helmet. The sun was out today, and I found the inner visor to be sufficiently dark, and easy to deploy. It comes down without hitting me in the nose, something that was so annoying on the old lid that I had to modify the inner shield with a grinding tool. My nose stuck out from behind it like a thumb after that.

Bottom line, a great piece of kit, if you can find one, especially for 160 shipped

Very very informative. Thaks a bunch. The latest Bilt with Sena is enticing. They sell for 229 regular helemet and 239 modular. I feel the basic bluetooth has all the features I need...a connection to my phone. You think I could pull the trigger on either of these and be in good shape?

Hi,
        Thanks, for the link! :great:

Attachments

• tumblr_opvxteMGcx1qk22tmo1_500.png
    tumblr_opvxteMGcx1qk22tmo1_500.png
    231.7 KB · Views: 121
I bought one of these from the ebay link.

here's my initial review would echo Thud300's
(with the exception of the pinlock comment as I installed mine before testing it.)

The top vents scoop massive air, but the chin vent is just a placebo I didn't feel any air from it.

it's super comfortable, and massively quieter than my old HJC CL-MAX
so, yeah over all, I'm happy with it!

thanks for the link and review

What is the manufacturer date on the one you bought off ebay? I had the wife buy one from the same link but I'm not at home to check it out.

I checked mine, several tags including one on the chin strap but nothing seems to translate to a date code. Will inspect the box when I get home.

DoerOfThings said:
took me  awhile to find it, but mine was manufactured in 08/15

(it's on a sticker at the back of the helmet under the liner)

datecode.png

That's not too bad, I was worried it would be a much older manufacture date. Thank you for checking.