• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

KDS System

danmcdermott

I have purchased a KDS V3 from ebay. For some reason I cannot get the adaptor drivers to load even though I see them on the disc. Has anyone had this issue and found a work around?

Some more details would likely help here. What is the PN of the CD and what Windows version are you using?

I posted this in another question on this topic earlier:

KDS3 USB Version: 57001-1648 (may be superseded by 57001-1725)
2010+ C14 Cable: 57001-1745
08-09 C14 Cable: 57001-1688 + 57001-1649
Windows 2000/XP Software: 57001-1650 (May not be available any longer but you probably don't want this anyway.)
Windows 10 Software: 57001-1802 (May be superseded, but the dealer should have the new PN for this.)

The 1650 CD software will not work with Windows 10. The newer CD does support Windows 10. You can order it from your Kawasaki dealer or favorite parts supplier.

Well this helps greatly. I have the 1650 software and am running windows 10. I'll need a new disc. I am using the 1745 cable for my 2012. Thank you for the replies and sorry for not posting more information.

The part numbers posted for the software leave me a bit confused. When I look at my software, it is listed as Version 3.1.0 (x64) and Database Version 3.0.9 Is there some way to transpose the Kaw P/N to the actual software version numbers?

Here is the KDS3 CD that I have. It says Windows XP/Vista/7/8 on it but I confirm it installed and runs properly on Windows 10 as well. The version is 3.1.4 so that seems to be a later version than yours. But the key to ordering this is the Kawasaki PN.

20211109_194824.jpg

Here is the KDS3 CD that I have. It says Windows XP/Vista/7/8 on it but I confirm it installed and runs properly on Windows 10 as well. The version is 3.1.4 so that seems to be a later version than yours. But the key to ordering this is the Kawasaki PN.

View attachment 30872

I probably need that newer software version. I had it installed and running on my Windows 10 machine, and it stopped working after I got a Windows database update. I think it messed up the drivers somehow, because now it won't recognize the KDS3 when it is connected to the USB port.

Just posting this in case someone else runs into this issue. After getting the most recent KDS3 software version, my problems with the communication through the driver remain. It appears that there is an issue with the version of Microsoft SQL Server on this Windows 10 machine. Problems started after an automatic Microsoft update to the SQL Server program. Next I'll have to try removing and reinstalling Microsoft SQL Server and then remove and reinstall the KDS3 software.

Fred,

Why is SQL Server on your PC? The KDS3 software doesn't require that. The PC I use for this does not have SQL Server installed. I believe there is some embedded database with the KDS3 software but it doesn't appear to me to be SQL Server.

The KDS3 tries to install the Microsoft SQL Server onto the computer when it loads. I have no idea what it uses it for. This appears to be the source of all my problems. It works fine on my Windows 7 box, but the Windows 10 box is giving me fits. The Win10 machine does not recognize the driver for some reason. I've spent hours trying to reload the driver files, remove, reinstall, etc. Nothing seems to work.

The KDS3 tries to install the Microsoft SQL Server onto the computer when it loads. I have no idea what it uses it for. This appears to be the source of all my problems. It works fine on my Windows 7 box, but the Windows 10 box is giving me fits. The Win10 machine does not recognize the driver for some reason. I've spent hours trying to reload the driver files, remove, reinstall, etc. Nothing seems to work.
Perhaps I've not noticed it on my system. I'll dig a little deeper and see if it's there. I used to have a Windows 7 laptop that I used but when it died and I discovered that the original KDS3 software didn't work on my Win10 laptop I bought the new CDROM. It installed and ran without a problem.

I just tried the 1802 version with my windows 10 machine. The software did load SQL and I was nervous after your comment, however it worked perfect for me with no driver conflict.

Driver conflicts etc is what drove me to apple, however none of this software works with an apple.

There is probably some other unique problem going on with my Laptop, but I have yet to figure it out. Last time this happened, I ended up reformatting the hard drive on it and reinstalling the operating system. Hopefully it won't come to that again. For now, I just use my Windows 7 laptop for the KDS3, but I'd really like to get the other working. If I figure it out, I'll post the solution.

I did check on my system and there is an installation of Microsoft SQL Server. It appears to be the "embedded" edition which makes sense if KDS3 installed it. I can't imagine why or how that might interfere with device drivers though.

I think my problem is peculiar to this laptop and is not a KDS3 issue. It's a Dell running Windows 10 64 bit version. When the KDS3 is connected it shows "unknown device" in device manager despite loading the newest drivers and removing the device from device manager and trying to "update" the driver file. It seems like it's a USB enumeration issue of some sort.....

Has anybody tried using the KDS system with bootcamp on a mac? If so was it successful?
In theory it should work since bootcamp is a MacOS/Windows dual boot setup. Once you boot into Windows you should be able to install and run the KDS3 software. I've not heard of anyone actually doing it though.

Confirmed tonight. I am able to use the KDS3 software on a mac using bootcamp to boot into a windows 10 environment and see/communicate with my 2012 Concours.

View attachment 30872
So the part number does work with Windows 10, with no hiccups?

Have a look at this thread:

URL

I posted the various part numbers that may be useful including the Windows 10 version of the software.