• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

KiPass activation switch Bypass

Briefly- KiPass is a great, robust system that most of us C-14 owners like with the exception of the sticking activation switch. Once that happens, the bike is immobilized until the switch is freed up or repaired. Unless you have a method to bypass it- such as the one I sell. This little circuit allows you to break the circuit and start the starting process all over again at will. Way back in '08 when people were getting stuck with this problem, I pioneered this system as an active 'reset'. It is not a fix per se, it is a work- around but will work as long as needed to keep the bike mobile until the actual activation switch can be repaired.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=6976.msg82841#msg82841

This is the best I can do regarding an explanation until I can get my web pages up to speed, at which point they will explain all. But at the moment, this should be enough information to understand what it is and what it does. If you have further questions, please go to www.incontrolne.com and e-mail sales or me (Brian) on that website; I would be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Who buys is it anyone with a C-14 who does not care to be at the mercy of the activation switch; a certain number of them fail and this prevents such a failure from being something that will strand the bike and rider.

Brian

Adirondackjack said:
Brian-

Please explain how this gadget works, and why or who buys it?

Dave R.

New C14 owner here.
Oh noooooooooooo....  Now I have to worry that my KIPASS  will just  fail one day???
So if I buy this thing, how far do you have to tear into the bike to place it?  And is the road kill rat included?

It happens. It does not happen often but often enough that there are incidents sprinkled all over both forums. One gentleman was cranky enough about getting stuck with this problem that he sold the bike and bought an FJR. Do a search on 'Bike won't start', 'Bike dead', 'KiPass won't work' and similar and you will find lots of information about this. It is just a quirk of the bike and while a little painful, it is easy enough to eliminate permanently and with 100% confidence.

To install the bypass you have to lift or remove (I recommend that you remove it) the top / left fairing cover (the black one) on the left side of the bike, directly under the left handlebar. There is a harness under there that you need to get at. Three screws and one rivet to remove the fairing cover. No tools needed for the harness install.

Brian

shezonit said:
New C14 owner here.
Oh noooooooooooo....  Now I have to worry that my KIPASS  will just  fail one day???
So if I buy this thing, how far do you have to tear into the bike to place it?  And is the road kill rat included?

That is a squirrel, not a rat and no, you do NOT get Kirby when you buy a KiPass Bypass. Kirby is.... special and in fact Kirby is the KiPass maskot. Way back in the olden days of the C-14, the bypass was mostly Kirby's idea in the first place- Kirby's KiPass Korrection Kit. He pops in here from time to time and posts on issues he feels strongly about which you have to admit is pretty impressive 'cause he is desiccated.

:-\ ;D

The whole Kirby thing started years ago on the other forum.

Brian

shezonit said:
New C14 owner here.

<snip>

And is the road kill rat included?

gPink said:
Brian, maybe Shezonit would like to meet Mr. Elkhorn.  :popcorn:

Uh-oh. Who or what is Mr. Elkhorn?  I like Kirby. Sorry I called him a rat. It was the tail, I guess. I once had a scholarly book on identifying roadkill. Pictures of flattened and dessicated beings and how to diffrentiate among rodents......

I have seen guys with roadkill numbers on their bikes. I have a riding friend I have personally seen kill a deer and he has killed another one since then. I've come to believe that deer are suicidal.

I think you mean Mr. Elkhoof. Mr. Elkhorn is more than six feet wide and would jab people on both sides of the bike if he rode where  Mr. Elkhoof does now....

Mr. Elkhoof is a handy fella' to have around. He is fearless, reasonably bright and can function in a variety of ways. Here he is using a quarter to open the fill port on a C-14 final drive....

This is Kirby chatting on his cell phone:

This is Kirby showing Mr. Elkhoof the wrist band he got while attending the Spring Fling in 2012.

Kirby in the group photo at the spring fling sippin' a lemonade (again, I apologize to the poor woman standing behind me for not warning you):

Kirby meeting new COG members. Terry is one of his favorites:

Fun is where you find it and I find it everywhere.  ;)

Brian

gPink said:
Brian, maybe Shezonit would like to meet Mr. Elkhorn.  :popcorn:

Is Kirby coming to the National in Idaho? And/ or Elkfoot?  I see that is a handy tool. Not quite pocket sized, but handy, or should I say FOOT-Y?

Many riders have totems. Some have bells. My own is a hair clip that is on the handlebars of every bike I've taken on a long tour. I call it my lucky hair clip.  I've always returned, WITH my lucky hair clip.
It also identifies my big macho bikes as belonging to a woman, without putting anything pink on it.

Mr. Elkhoof rides on the bike and basically goes wherever the bike goes so he would be going to the National. Unfortunately we are not going to the national so none of the passengers will be going either. Mr. Elkhoof comes from Washington State orginally (we don't have elk on the east coast) so he has a lot of motorcycle miles behind him already.

Kirby on the other hand does not get out much. The furthest he has been is to Mystic Pizza in Mystic, CT (yeah, the one from the movie). Kirby is tough but delicate at the same time and has to be handled with care; he normally rides in a padded box.

The real reason I carry Mr. Elkhoof everywhere is that I am hoping when it is my time, I am involved in a high- speed collision with an elk. As the emergency personel collect up the various parts, I am hoping they end up with a pile of five elk feet and on and off, they wonder what is up with that for the rest of their lives. I mean, look at the fun our ancestors had assembling those big bones in such a way that we think some dinosaurs flew and steered by turning their heads. It is one gigantic 'gotcha'.

:rotflmao:

Brian
Brian

shezonit said:
Is Kirby coming to the National in Idaho? And/ or Elkfoot?  I see that is a handy tool. Not quite pocket sized, but handy, or should I say FOOT-Y?

Many riders have totems. Some have bells. My own is a hair clip that is on the handlebars of every bike I've taken on a long tour. I call it my lucky hair clip.  I've always returned, WITH my lucky hair clip.
It also identifies my big macho bikes as belonging to a woman, without putting anything pink on it.

Please lets stay on topic here. Is this thread supposed to be about a C14 farkle or deceased animal remains?    ;)

Thanks Bob. I was getting tired of all those distractions- those guys, sheesh! Give them an inch.... and they run away with your nuts.

Besides, the KiPass activation switch Bypass is so good it doesn't need any embellishment to make a great thread.

Kirby

Cap'n Bob said:
Please lets stay on topic here. Is this thread supposed to be about a C14 farkle or deceased animal remains?    ;)

Mr. ElkHoof  IS a C14 farkle, is he not?  Just kidding.

I AM sorry for getting off topic, but I couldn't resist some banter when I saw Kirby holding the KIPASS ASS Saver. (Which is probably what I woulda named it)

The COG forum never ceases to amaze me...  :-\
Forget chain-wallets Brian, I'd make that elkhoof into a stovetop-key keychain! Guarantee you'll never have any more problems out of your KIPASS with that gnarly thang resting on your tank and triple-clamps.

I bought this switch Bypass in 2013 or so and this week after a stretch at a viewpoint my key was locked. It took me several minutes of cussing and looking for a Krock before I remembered my purchase and then a few more words I will not mention before I remembered how to work it.
I sure was happy with my wise purchase even if it took 10 years before it was needed!

I ran across mine the other day. Still in the original USPS shipping box. My 08 bit the big one before I got it installed.
Met BDF at Johnson City. Great guy. FUnny as heck.

Brian was a walking mechanical engineering encyclopedia and fun guy to talk to. Only got to ride with him once years ago and he will be missed. I also bought one of these way back and have never needed to use it but I like the ability to keep moving without using a K-Rock.

Brian was the professor. I met in person at several rallies and we exchanged quite a few emails on a range of topics. I use his fuel warning eliminator gizmo and think of him every time I can ride past 200 miles without the display going bonkers with warnings. I miss the guy. One of a kind for sure.

Brian was indeed a character, a very intelligent character that I was very lucky to know.

I'm assuming that the KIPASS bypass device is, either no longer available, or is soon to be unavailable when Andrea runs out of them.

I would point interested parties to read the Concourier Spring 2011 edition page 17 for more info. (<--available in the Tech pages)
I was able to make my own using the information Brian provided there and using the C14 wiring diagram from the Tech pages that Fred Harmon made.

If you wish to test the one you make or the connector that Brian references in his article, you need to simulate a stuck switch by having somebody hold the stove knob down while you fiddle with the connector or your own bypass device.

Finally got out to the barn...sub zero and no place to ride so I went and found my BDF Rock.

Still in the original box

BDF 1.jpgBDF2.jpgBDF3.jpg
BDF4.jpg

I'll take 25 and shipping USPS flat rate 9.25. (new box and bubble wrap) Paypal . PM me