• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

KIPASS Failures

Cap'n Bob

Although I was hoping to avoid this thread and subject. Folks never want to believe other folks that KIPASS does have a history of trouble. Although IMO, the troubles are fewer and farther between lately. Hopefully the (unofficial) changing of the KIPASS actuator return spring by Kawasaki has made a difference in this. I decided to quote some of the posts that some of the folks had made in the past. This came about a short while back in another of many KIPASS threads. One of many KIPASS threads that tend to always divide folks on the subject and create riffs in the forum. Just to note, most of these quotes were before the data crash on original COG forum (Concours{dot}org) that happened a little earlier this year.  ::)
So although I had hoped to avoid this. It seems that there will always be a forum member who will want to see KIPASS failures for himself. So by posting these quotes, there will not be a thread that we can provide that will hopefully satisfy folks curiosity. Hopefully this might avoid the need for future full blown KIPASS threads and polls. I want to point out this this is only an example of some of the past KIPASS failures. This does not mean that this is by any means all of the failures. But it also does not mean that you will have KIPASSS trouble because of these.  These posts are only to show that KIPASS does have a past including problems.

4Bikes said:
<snip>
The poll stays, because I want to see how widespread the Kipass issue really is.  I’m also not buying the notion that a large number of folks gave up on the C14, and are no longer hanging around to place their vote.  I do concede that no poll will perfect, but if we see large numbers of failures, I for one want to know that.  <snip>

For reference, this quote is from another thread.
http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php?action=post;quote=146057;topic=31190.0

OK, to start this thread off and since I was the first KIPASS failures that I can remember. My C14 had plenty had KIPASS failures. They started in late summer/fall 2007 when my 2008 C14 was only a couple of months old. These continued for three years on and off. Most were temporarily rectified by spraying lube in the 9 o'clock position outside the key switch (where the KIPASS actuator is located, under the switch housing).
I do not want to go into all the specifics of my C14's problems. I would prefer to avoid more KIPASS confrontation. So I am only posting the information that the system failed for the purpose of this thread.

JS_racer said:
i have had incidents two different times. once i think i tweaked my key just the slightest amount opening the gas tank, had issues right after that. The other time was just last weekend, on a long ride. When i pushed down nothing happened. i still had spring tension on the key but had no display indicator or click. My key was in the fss position so i removed it, rubbed it, spoke nice to it, still nothing good. tapped the key lightly on the black part at around the 10 o'clock position and it worked, didn't want to shut it off again. At each stop after i just flicked it to fss then back to on to shut the headlights off. got home and used contact cleaner and silicone spray to clean and lube the area. people on the ride couldn't understand what the system was for and why it could strand me out in the weeds. wasn't such a big fan of it that day, but i made it home. Last visit to the dealer o asked about any maintenance on the system, cleaning or lubing, was told there is nothing required or recommended. if i need to do some contact cleaner and a shot of goo once in a while to not get stranded i can handle that. The two times i had issues i was on group rides hundreds of miles from home with no cell coverage, not like i was at the local gas station by the house. That made it more stressful for me.

My question is to speculate what might have happened. Is it the small micro switch that sticks, or something inside the housing ? i hear about the plunger sticking, would that hold the ring for the key down or does that have a spring of its own ?? any light that can be shed here would be great.

thanks for the time,
Joel

CWick said:
If you own a KiPass, you need to remember two things:  hammer and 9 o'clock. 

My KiPAss failed today and prevented me from riding on one of the last nice days of the season (Western PA).

After searching threads, and studying Fred's pictures, I was able to get it to work.  I hit it with a hammer at 9 o'clock. I heard a faint click of the plunger returning.  KiPass worked fine after that. 

My bike is an '08 ABS with 9,500 miles.  It goes out of warranty at Thanksgiving.  I will be taking it into the shop on Tuesday to see what they will do.  I am sure that the dealer will take care of it, but I am very dissappointed.  How do you trust it from here?  Not only is it unreliable, you can't diagnose anything.  Is it a dead battery or KiPass...can't tell because you can't get to a working guage.  Stupid, overuse of techinology that does nothing postive and decreases the reliability of the bike.

There you go BDF...a fresh KiPass thread

badinc1 said:
One day, while out riding with a bunch of new riders that I just met, though my friend who has a Harley Davidson Roadglide, and my KIPASS on my fairly new [only 1200 miles on it.]  2009 Kawasaki Concours14 ABS acted-up on me with it not wanting to turn to the on position to start the bike. Everytime we stopped, when it was time to go again, it wouldn't turn to the on position. Everybody had to wait for me, and it made me look bad. One of my worst riding days ever. I didn't bring it to my Kawasaki dealer, because I was able after fighting with it, to get it to turn on again. Maybe I should of taken it to the dealer, I don't know ? But it did do this on occasion. Just not everytime. So..... I wonder how many other owners that have KIPASS has had this happen to them, and not report it ? I mean, it didn't actually leave me stranded, but it didn't work like it is suppose to, and a key would of had no problem and just turned and started the bike. Of course, to make matters worse, the group of riders I was with was nothing but Harley Davidsons, so this really, really made me look bad, and made the Harley Davidson owners even more proud of their bikes.  Needless to say, this really left a bad taste in my mouth regarding all things: KIPASS.
Bobby.

fj52 said:
Got the bike back this morning with a new battery (unrelated to the Kipass failure). The service manager & mechanic said they first they got it started as described by others here, taking apart the connection at the grey switch gizmo then totally dismantled the ignition at Kawasaki's direction, looking for any dirt, grime, etc. They found nothing wrong, so, again at Kawasaki's direction, they reassembled it without replacing any parts. Kawasaki wouldn't authorize it unless something was found wrong with the parts in question. The service manager seems confident it won't happen again but this is also the first time he has had a bike come in this way. The mechanic showed me the shortcut for a one-time re-start with the grey switch gizmo (OK, I don't have the technical name). So, unless everybody here has been exaggerating for three model years, this is a known problem with one piece of equipment and Kawasaki has been unwilling or unable to fix it. Am I correct? If this were an automobile, would NHTSA force a recall? Are motorcycles exempt from this process?

While I was picking up the bike, three guys came in together on a Valkrie, Harley and a 2006 ST1300. They were drawn to my bike by the CalSci windshield but asked how I like the Concours after I finished promoting the windshield. I had to confirm, again, that my 2003 ST1300 was almost flawless in its seven years with me and that this bike, while great in a side by side tests in magazines, isn't panning out well, with this issue and the initial driveshaft failure.

My impression has always been that Honda and Kawasaki were comparable as far as quality. Was I wrong or is this a recent problem? Unless the forum is wrong and my case is not unique, I am starting to worry Kawaski may be close to becoming a victim of the economy.

johnnyc said:
Add mine to the list of bikes that have had Kipass issues. I had the ignition switch failure the other day and only got the bike going by holding the key down and letting it snap back up a few times. Good thing that strategy was posted here because I probably would not have thought to do that on my own. After the switch stuck a few times it seems to be working normally again now. I hope it lasts until the snow flys then the dealer can have the whole winter to fix it.

1WARLOCK said:
Well I wish I had read this posting before now :'( I had 8900 on my c14, made my yearly voyage to the mountains for Dragon carving, my second day out was stopped beside the road in Tn talking to a friend and was going to restart for a short trip to his house, k-pass was dead, :mad: got bike trailered to his house and started to make calls to Kaw dealers for help, when I mentioned K-Pass they dummied-up. :-\ Finially a Harley/Kaw dealer was located that said he knew about K-pass problems, I trailered the bike to him (about 50 miles one way) he said his Kaw mech was off til tomorrow but he would take a look at it, I explained the symtons and he unplugged the grey connection and replugged and and walla it came to life. ;D ;D I spent the rest of the week unplugging and plugging the grey connection for ignition starts. I lost a day and a half riding but still able to ride more than 3k on her this week.  ;D Also the hard riding in the mountains seems to have wharped the front disc(she really trimbles when I get on the brakes). The dealer here in Fl will put her back in top condition. The C14 is a fine machine!! ;D

defrazier said:
I had this same problem in the 'middle of nowhere'. Second dealer I contacted (first was clueless) got advise from K and they cleaned and lubricated the switch. Has not failed again. This snap technique is the one others (and myself) have used and it appears to be some sticking inside the key assembly. I first tried banging it, but the push and snap is the best band-ade. Get the dealer to understand the problem (if you can't get him to reproduce it). There is definitely a field report on record at K. They may want to replace the key switch but that takes some drilling out security screws and not sure what else. I have gone 6K without it happening again. But I am now careful when I push down and release. I think banging down hard may be what starts it. I usually only take the FSS key out for gas, bags open with my fob key.

busadriver said:
OK, finally back from Canada.  Had I known about the K-Rock I'd probably be in Fairbanks and looking for tires.  The bike did quit in Wyoming and Banff.  Both WY and Calgary dealers don't know about issue.  They did get on the phone with Kawasaki.  The 1st recommended the 360 + blowing it out with air.  This did work in both cases, but the light spray lube seemed to fix.  Of course, my presense in Texas might be due to lack of rain along the way. 

I will say that there's no problem knocking down 900+ mi/day on this bike (when it runs).  Now looking for a fix for the 120 mph head shake problem.  Seems to only occur loaded and with the top case.  I understand the dynamics, but geeeez. 

fj40dave said:
Add me to the list:

Happened just a few miles from home - running errands.

I thought the battery for the fob might be dead....nope.
Battery connections in the bike loose? (dealer charged up the battery when I bought it - maybe diodn't get the connections on tight enuf?) - nope.

Owner of the Kawi Dealership showed up and set up a tow back to his dealership (Cliff's Cycle - Bremerton).

Ended up not needing it - the dang thing just started to work again.

This thread has given me a great place to look for a solution when it happens again though!
RECALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Art said:
Ok, add me to the list of those having problems with this switch. :(
At least I was able to rap on the switch hard with my fist to get going. Bike is currently at the dealer.

Euring said:
I'd been looking forward to my trip with my bike all year www.jaimiebrown.com and it seemed like I'd spent most of it getting the bike ready with one farkle after another. We took a boat from the UK to France and were already 500 miles - and a sea - away from home when the KIPASS just would not work. I couldn't believe it; SWMBO even less so! :eek:

It cost me $100 in cell phone calls to my dealer in the UK who was trying all he could to help me and giving me all of the Kaw stock responses. I had the battery disconnected in the hotel car park and had been able to fit a new button cell in the key fob too but no luck. After a couple of hours of constant trying it fired into life and we got it to the nearest Kaw dealer we could...in France...on a Saturday afternoon (those of you who know continental Europe will know what that usually spells!). We had nine more days of touring to do - 2,500 in total - and non-refundable reservations at hotels along the way.

Kaw could think of nothing more than the old "hold the fob in front of the ignition cylinder...at the place especially designed for it when you remove the mechanical key from the fob", as if a) I hadn't already tried that for two hours and b) it would bl**dy well work!

The French mechanic spoke not a word of English but we managed to determine that when he waved a magnetic screw retrieval tool over the top of the ignition, he heard a faint 'click' and then the whole thing worked like a charm. He believes that a relay, pivotal in the workings of KIPASS, was somehow reset as a result of this; perhaps it was sticking...who knows.

His theory was that our hotel was next to a large transmission tower and it's possible that some type of RF transmission had effectively been activating the KIPASS all night until it just shut down in some way. Me? I go for the theory that the bike is a collection of thousands of parts, all made by the lowest bidder, and some cheap, crappy relay in the ignition system just got plain stuck in the off position.

What really gets me about the whole deal is that we had prepared for everything on this trip. We had extra fuel, oil, water, coolant, tire inflators, tool kit - you name it, we had it. The one thing we could do nothing about, and yet completely disabled the bike, was KIPASS. And I mean that it TOTALLY disables the bike, you can't even get the key out or the steering lock off so what the hell are Kawasaki playing at when they tout this as the great 'Grand Tourer' and yet build-in that sphincter-tickling lack of confidence moment every time you go to start the bike, miles away from help, thinking "will the damn thing start or am I going to have to eat my own leg to survive out here".

Get a grip Kawasaki! I don't care whether you go back to basics with keys, bags or any other manner of work-around but what I would like is an admission that you've produced a product which is sub-par, clearly has a demonstrated ability to let you down enormously when you could least do with it. Most of all I want some proper resolution that treats us like intelligent people who, when we have told you that the stupid 'fob-in-front-of-the-ignition' solution doesn't work you come-up with something that does!

:mad: Grr!

sqwuch said:
My failure occured on the way back from Frisco.  Traveling hours in a dusty, sandy crosswind in UT.  After filling up in Hanksville UT the ignition would not intialize.  The fob pressed in but no reaction.
Luckily I had some cell phone reception (and a charged cell battery)  My dealer hooked me up with Kawi Irvine, where I got some good info. 
(As mentioned here)  The initation relay was stuck in the down position.  This is located beneath the key switch, near the 7 oclock position.
I looked around my locality and found a beautiful 6 oz stone, which I rapped several time along my ignition.  This popped the relay switch loose ("Click" and display came on), and zammo i'm back on the road.  I have had to use this "K-Roc" a few times since.  Although the last 1 1/2 weeks it hasnt stuck-- I'm still going to get it replaced  (it needs a redesign)

c14androck.jpg

DSCF1536.jpg

DoninReno said:
Until today my Connie14 has been great....no electronic or KIPASS problems at all in about 6700 miles. HOWEVER, today when I stopped out in the middle of nowhere on I-80 someplace east of Fernley, Nevada to do a little clothing re-arranging, the DAMNED thing would not start when I got back on to proceed. I did take the knob-key out to open one bag and when I replaced it to start up again...N-O-T-H-I-N-G!!!! Well, the little red security light was flashing, so I knew that power was there, but still not a DAMNED thing happened. I could not turn the knob-key from the FSS position, though it would push down and come back up via spring presure. I could also remove and replace it as often as I tried it. I did that a lot of times..swore a lot...and, Lo and BEHOLD!! I got action as per normal and rotated it to the on position and started it and proceeded, thinking that it was just a momentary problem. About 20 miles later I got to Fernley, NV, pulled into a gas station, turned the key-knob to the FSS position and removed it to open the gas tank and, after refuelling, put it back in and had the same thing all over again...no DAMNED start! I read the book, tried EVERYTHING and then replaced the fob battery thinking maybe it had gotten weak...all to no avail. I tried everything, to include LOTS of swearing, but nothing worked. Finally I tried one last thing..held the knob-key down against the spring presseure and slid my thumb off of the end of it, letting it "snap" back into the up position. WOW..that worked! After all that (about one hour of screwing around) the push and snap up worked and I started it and rode home to my house in Reno. Once there, I shut it off by turning the knob-key to the OFF position and, after removing bags, etc, found the the damned thing would not operate normally, not turn from the OFF position and, of course would not start. Hmmm...immediately tried the push in and let it snap up technique and VOILA!! it worked..it started, etc! Shut it off again and had the same problem....did the push and snap up and it turned and started!! It seems to make the thing work that way every time after it fails to turn!! Hmmm..I think we have a bad switch here, huh?

Now, I would like to ask several things....

(1) Will any of you that have the problem try the "push in and let it snap up" technique to see if we all have the same symptoms and "solution"? I would like to know if this works in all or most cases...and I bet the group would like to know, too. (And maybe even KAWASAKI and the dealers, huh??)

(2) What kind of responses/repairs has anyone or everyone had from the dealers with this same problem? Have they all just changed the switch and stuff and made the problem go away?

I now don't trust the bike enough to take it anywhere that I may either have to shut it down or just shut it down naturally, without thinking about it first and refraining.

Comments/experiences/ideas/whatever, PLEASE!!! My email is dondlhmn@aol.com for anyone that wants to email me directly.

Thanks!

Don Johnson
Reno, NV

BAMA said:
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by 08GTR14</i>

I have never removed my key from the ignition since the day I bought the bike Feb 27th. Why remove it?

I like the KIPASS system, the bike is dead in the water if anyone wants to steal it. I have not had a bit trouble with it yet. And if there is a recall I will have them replace whatever needs replacing. In the mean time, I ride.[:)]

JMHO.

Dave
Concord, NC
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

read the other posts.....problems are lurking in the ignition switch;  not sure how many issues actually involve the ECU/KIPASS or a mechanical defect with the switch itself.  I have over 6200 miles and BAM....it got me one night.

exbanditrider said:
My turn - saturday afternoon, having a great ride, stopped to take some photos and that's it.  Came home on the back of a ute.

The bike is in the shop and they say that they are going to have to replace everything once a new one gets here - 3 weeks!

And now for what I really want to know: is Kawasaki offering any sort of assurances on the new parts ie are they going to last until the bike wears out or could they cause the same issue?

Thanks for the parts numbers - I will check to see if I'm getting the correct replacements.

roadracer98 said:
Update !!

My Kawasaki dealer was suposed to have my new KIPASS ignition yesterday. He called Kawasaki USA and was told that the part has been updated, all the ignitions that Kawasaki USA has in stock are not to be installed.. The new parts are inroute from the land of the rising sun (Japan) I guess its gonna be 2 weeks from what Im being told now..[:(!][:(!][:(!] [B)]

VirtualNorm said:
I searched and found a "few" complaints on the Kipass system here.  I want to throw my whine, rant, complaint into the mix.  I have an 09 with 4200 miles on it.  It would not work this morning.  I felt the need to punch the ignition key and then tried and it worked.  Had to do it three times today already.  Once per stop.  I have no desire to beat on the bike just to start it.  This sucks, off to the dealership I go.  Has anybody found a quick fix for this short of Fred's dissection report??

L8R

Tstien said:
I also believe that the switch is the blame. I just wish when I contacted my dealer they would have told me that Kawasaki had a TSB about the problem, bring it in and we will fix it. I still have the problem with my bike, even if most of you have not. It is offensive to me to be told that there is not a problem when I have experienced it first hand. Not just told that they do not know anything about it. In this poll I was trying to find out if there was a enough people with the issues that Kawasaki should know about the problem. I think that enough people have had the problems to warrant the belief that Kawasaki knows of the issue. It seems Kawasaki has dropped the ball. I just want my expensive motorcycle to work as advertised. I just don't want to have to carry a rock around to get said motorcycle to start. You may find my desires unrealistic, but, my friend, I want what you have, a KIPASS that works. I don't think that is too much to ask, do you?

T@ctical Mik said:
I did have to play with my nob a couple of times this morning to get the plunger to work, but I voted that kipass has always worked.  I expected as much since my baby has been subjected to numerous thunderstorms of late and probably had gotten a little grim in the switch.  When I get home to the arm pit of America (Kansas, or maybe it should be another body part since it is always so stinkin' windy  ;D) I will spray some silly cone or Houdini in the switch to lube it up and clean out any debris.

Also, for the sake of argument, if you could get real world, accurate numbers of failures I would bet a substantial amount of money that the failure rates would be below 2 percent.  Maybe even less.

:popcorn:  ;)

Son of Pappy said:
Only stuck once.  After reading a certain KIPAS lover  ;) I knew what to do, a coupla quick jabs with my finger at the key and she was working as designed.  37k miles, rain, snow, stop and go, even some miles out in the Mojave.  I could live with it or without it.  If I had a choice I woulda elected to not have it.  It is one more thing to break and short of convenience serves no real practical purpose, kinda like chrome or tassles on a Harley.  Oh well, dosnt seem to stop anyone (well, most of the time anyways) from riding the snot out of her, I mean really, is there such a thing as a perfect anything? 

Rawman said:
At around 4000 miles I had to use the K-Rock (a large text book) to "unstick" the KiPass switch (April '09).  Coincidentally that was the only day I removed the stoveknob key.  I have had 12,000 more trouble free miles.  I don't believe mine is a habitual "sticky" switch.  I think the more you complain about KiPass, the more it will get you.

BobbyC14 said:
My KIPASS failed on me for the first time Sunday night after riding up the Blue Ridge Pkwy. Went to dinner and came out at 10:00 at night 500 miles away from home, pressed the key down and.... nothing!  As my Memorial day was becoming memorable for the wrong reasons, I got online and came across this thread. Disconnecting the gray connector worked like a champ and got me back on the rode home.  Thanks to you great folks for putting this information out there. I now am armed with info for my trip to the dealer tomorrow. You saved me hundreds of dollars in hotels, rentals, etc. and definitely saved what was otherwise an amazing trip.

Again, thanks!
Bobby M.

SINSTR said:
All is well with the world once gaain.  The bike is fixed, new parts in place at Mama Kaws expense.  Apparently the ignition on my 09 was a hold over from the )8 and they overnighted a part in and I pick up the beast this afternoon.  Thanks to all of you guys here on the forum for your suggestion and support.
[/quote

m919 said:
I have seen two types of failures on the key pass system. One is the symbol for the low battery in the key fob which shows a battery on the display and you need to replace it soon. The other which is when you think it may be the battery in the fob but its not. When you go to start the bike and the knob will not turn but you still get a display of ''IMMOBILIZER FAILURE'' this is not good! This means that the ignition system itself needs to be replaced. If this does happen make sure you request that your dealership rekeys the new ignition to your old ignition. Or you will have to get all new fobs and all new lock sets.

ange said:
I had the same thing happen to me on an extended trip last year. I sprayed with silicone and waited overnight, and it worked fine. Has been fine ever since, but I spray it every few months.

Bill P said:
Bought mine in 11/07.  I had the initiation switch failure (not ignition switch) in the KIPASS system.  Ma Kawi fixed it under warrenty 2/08.  I haven't had a problem since.  lol...but at least I know the "on the rode fix" if it were to crop up again.

tjhess74 said:
Well, it was bound to happen i guess...my apologies if i ever criticized anyone with kipass issues in the past.

5/2008, 21,355 miles, and today i left work with no problems.  i stopped at the parts store to get new horns for my zrex.  some SUPER annoying dork kept talking to me about my connie and how he has a raging fast ninja...blah, blah, blah.  so i push the key to wake her up...and NOTHING. i cant get away from this guy!  i push several more times, nothing still.  the dude was pissing me off about his top speed and i was pissed cause this douche bag is seeing the first ever failure of my bike.  finally i thump it hard and she comes alive...sorry dude, gotta go!

so i stop at another parts store just down the street from the first one.  go to leave after about 20 minutes...and NOTHING again.  i thump it...nothing.  after about 10 minutes, i haul off and punch it with my armor glove out of frustration...ah, there she is. off i go. i tried all the fixes in the owners manual to no avail.  i then remember stories about 'rock' keys...

i go straight to my dealer who apparently has no mechanics on mondays, but service is open?! ???

the service rep and i know each other and he says hes not wanting to turn it off in case it doesnt start again.  he is pretty sure he knows what the problem is, but im the first in my area to experience it. he called maw kawi and they are going to replace the ignition switch...and ALL OF MY LOCKS...the gas cap (i have to do fred h's mod over again), saddle bags, and keyfob keys.  thats gonna cost them a pretty penny.  oh well.

the guy even got kawi to express ship the parts so they will be here first thing wednesday.

when i got home, i tried to start her with the same level of success.  each time requires a slightly harder hit to get her going.  i have to give her a good tap with a hammer (which i must now take with me).  bad weather for tomorrow dictates i have to ride her instead of the zrex.

im frustrated and now lacking the confidence in my bike to start when im away from home.  will the new switch go south on me next year too?

in the mean time, im starting my $12,000 not-even-a-year-old motorcycle with a hammer. :mad:

Donald said:
mine acted up several times, I was always able to get it going by tapping on the switch housing. talked to my dealer he talked to mother K and they sent a fax that shows what is wrong and how to fix it. when I had it in for the valve adjust they removed the switch and did the fix. have had no problem since then. but it sure gets you hot when the ol gal will not start

djohnso said:
Mine only did it twice in the first year or so. The second time I went straight to the dealer. Pulled-up, turned the bike off and of course it started right back up. Thanks to some posts on this forum I knew how to get the bike to run after it happened.

A few weeks ago I went for a 1,000 mile trip to Arkansas. It started the first day and was consistently a problem everytime we stopped after that. I had to wack it a few times with the butt-end of a screwdriver to get it working, every time we stopped. At least the thing is consistently not working. So I took it into the dealer Saturday. I’m hoping that he has to tear it down and fix it. I don’t want it to happen again in a 1,000 miles or so.

MotherGoose said:
I'm the buddy.

Andrew went out of his way, as he always does for any fellow rider, to help me this best he could. Yesterday was one of those days that make you question why you participate in this hobby and is it all worth it.

I was riding around Elk and Cameron counties in PA, north of I-80, truly God's country. You find yourself humming the Deliverance theme song on occasion. It was raining off and on a majority of the day. Nothing too severe. Stop to get gas, removed the key to open the gas tank, no problems what-so-ever. After leaving the gas station, road into a heavy downpour for the better part of a half hour and decide to pull off the side of the road and let it pass. While waiting for the storm, removed the key to open one of the saddle bags, put it back in the ignition and tried turning the key, nothing.

For better part of the next two hours I tried everything that I could think of including swapping batteries in the one kipass I had with me. (A used car dealer just happened to be down the road from where I pulled over happened to be in the shop and was kind enough to let me try a few batteries that were the exact match) Even tried removing the key from the fob and placing it next to the steering column as suggested in the service manual.

So at this point I'm getting a little nervous. Called Andrew, decided the something might be wrong with the primary kipass and I need to get to 2nd one from home. Called the wife. Wow, what a phone call. "You're where?", "You need me to drive how far?", "What's a kipass?". Regardless, the trooper that she is made it in a little less than two hours using a combination of google maps and a Garmin.

2nd key doesn't work. Call Andrew again. No ideas between the two of us other than a calling a dealer that might be open in another state and speaking with a tech. But, on a Sunday at 5:00pm this is a slim chance and slim's been leaving town all day. At this point I had what I call a Lewis Black moment. I called the bike and it's lovely Kipass every derogatory name I've ever heard at the top of my lungs in the course of thirty seconds.  I calm down. Wife gets the idea to drive to a wifi hot spot so I can check "with that forum thing" to see if there's any other ideas. If not, we decide that as late as it was in the day that we'll try to contact the nearest dealer on Monday.

As Andrew wrote, I read the rock trick. Stop at Walmart for a can of silicone spray and two rocks from the parking lot. (If you ever want to observe deer in the headlights looks from others walk into the Dubios Walmart in a Rev'it rain suit and Sidi Vertigo's.) Drive 20 minutes back to the bike, spray the lock, tap the column. Instant click.  Road two hours home in the dark and rain with the wife following. Got home 11 hours after setting off.

Overall, it's an experience. Some may say that cost of admission for choosing to travel on two wheels.

My rear brake recall is schedule for this Saturday. I'm going to mention the incident to the dealer.

evilkevin said:
It happened to me on my trip. Kipass acted up 3x's on one week so I took the bike to the dealer for them to have a look at it... One week later they are still waiting to hear from Kawasaki tech support about this. Fortunately the system didn't work for the sevice tech at dealer so they have first hand experience with it. My issue is that they are saying Kawasaki probably won't ok all new kipass system at $3,000 so they are trying other avenues. Loose wiring maybe, lube it...etc.
I am distressed that as with BBAR them only using a band aid fix and getting stranded somewhere. I need to look at my warranty. I doesn't expire till Nov 2011 and I have an extended also and need to look if it would be covered under extended if it happens down the road.
I guess what I'm looking for is advice, should I push for new system( hard to justify I think since it's not happening all the time)or let them find another solution.
I needed to rant about not having my bike for this long with no definitive return date.
thanks, kevin

vortex2 said:
Just got back from a 5700 mile ride to California and back and guess where KiPass stranded me?
In my driveway! Must have been that 5 inches of rain in Little Rock Arkansas! Let it sit for a few
hours in the garage and it worked again!

VAJIM said:
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BBAR</i>

I'm suppose to take my spring trip south to the Carolina's and Tennessee in a couple of weeks. Here's the dilemma. I have been stranded by my KIPASS already. The dealer isn't sure if he fixed anything. It sat all winter. I've put on about 300-400 miles since the late fall breakdown.
  Now do I chance taking the trip with the possibility of being stranded again. Only this time it probably won't be 100 miles from home. Now it could be 800 miles. And I can't just send my riding buddy for a trailer.
  Or do I scrap the trip until the KIPASS hasn't failed for quite a while? It can be a lot of fun doing chores around the house for a week. Maybe if I feel like I got enough done, I'll go for a ride in the afternoon.
  But that trip is so wonderful around those nice roads. Of course sitting in the same spot for hours or more trying to get help wouldn't be. God I love this KIPASS system. So what do y'all think?[?]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

BBAR, that's a real tough call.  I know, because I am in the same shape as you are.  After mine failed, I think I stayed off the bike for a week and a half.  I was able to get mine to work by rotating the key past the FSS position back to ON.  After getting it back in the garage it failed again and I did the same thing to make it start.  It hasn't done it since.  I rode it some more last weekend with multiple stops and it worked fine.  I am staying local for now just in case.  I personally won't go far from home until the confidence level returns.  I have made the decision to keep riding it and to also only turn the switch to ON and leave it in.  I am using the key in the FOB for gas and cases.  Don't know if that matters but it is something I am trying.  Also, if it fails I can twist the key around or disconnect the ignition connector to get it to start again.  I may take it in to the dealer in a few weeks after the new ignitions make it over here.  But an intermittent failure is hard to diagnose and I will probably have to twist their arms to replace it without them seeing the failure.

idphillips said:
Well, I now know it has nothing to do with the battery or its connections. Conections are solid and battery is reading 13.3.

I'll meet the guys from the dealership over here tomorrow morning and we will wrestle it onto their vehicle. I suspect it'll be 3 more weeks before I see her again, but at least it happened relatively close to home and in the "off" season for riding.

I'll keep you all  up to date as I'm updated.

tinyxxxviii said:
When I went to start my bike yesterday afternoon I discovered that the K-rock feature on my Bike had activated. For those of you who don't know what the K-rock feature is well let me share. When you walk up to your bike and depress the key to activate the K-pass nothing happens. This is because the micro switch that closed the last time you started the bike is still closed in the switch housing. To nonstick this switch all one needs to do is take a dense object( I Like Rocks ), turn the bars to the left, then smack the left side of the switch housing. This will provide just enought of a shock to open the switch.
Now although Kawa included this security measure to protect our investment, I feel that it is going a little over board. I decided to deactivate this security measure on my bike by using some spray lube in the ignition switch and cleaning out the locks on my bags. I cleaned out my bag locks because I use my ignition key there regularly.

sgoetz628 said:
Exact same thing happened to me Tuesday night.  Stopped for gas, bike wouldn't start again.  Didn't matter whether the FOB was w/i range or not.  And I could take the key and turn it around and around and around.  Had to get a ride home with the wife Oy!
Next morning, after making plans to have the bike towed, someone on my local site suggested I hit the key with a rock.  I did - sorta.  I used a mallet with a towel over the ignition.  One or two gentle whacks and the spring inside popped back into position.
Here's what my buddy posted for me (maybe from this site!), "From another source....

the culprit is the ignition activation switch sticking in the down or 'ON'
position. When you push the ign. key down, that switch is supposed to
activate KiPass to search for a FOB and then arm the system if there is one
in proximity. But occasionally that activation switch gets stuck from the
last time the key was pushed down and the KiPass ECU shuts the whole system
down after some period of time (15 seconds?). So the next time you walk up
to the bike and press the key down, nothing happens because the ECU shut the
system down. To reset the system, power has to be cycled OFF and then back
ON again. Tapping the ignition switch shocks the spring loaded switch so
that it snaps back into the up or OFF position and all is well again.
Pulling the connector that powers up the arming switch also cycles power OFF
and ON but does not fix the actual problem of the stuck switch. If you pull
the connector and replace it, you have that time period to turn the key
before the system again override the switch and shuts the system down again.
That is why those people who pull the connector often have to do it again
unless the vibration and shock from riding frees up the switch.

Putting a switch in- line with the KiPass activation switch would achieve
the same thing as pulling and replacing the connector but it would be easier
and more graceful. Not as graceful as beating the bike into submission with
a rock, but what is? :)"

All I can tell you is that it worked and I rode away with my helmet held high (sorta).  This is very valuable information should anyone become broken down out in the boonies.

greyrocket said:
Well, what can I say that hasnt been said? I've been lurking on here some for quite some time, although i usually dont have much time to reply/post becuase of work, family and things. I have an 08, approximately 3000 troublefree miles and really enjoy this bike. I had ridden about 2 hours away from home Tuesday, and stopped at an exit for gas & lunch. After returning to the bike, push the stove knob key and ....nothing! Immediately started thinking, oh boy it got me, its my turn now. After reading up on all the KIPASS threads here, I carry an extra FOB battery in my toolkit. So I changed it, no difference. The system never responded in any way. After a phone call to my dealer, he advised me to unplug the grey connector under the dash panel to reset the switch. Also no change or response from the system. Long story, and skipping ahead here; I ended getting it towed back to my dealer. Was told they found water in the switch and that is what prevented it from working properly. Not sure I trust that one completely to be the only cause.

Oh did I mention that by the time I helped unload the bike off the wrecker, it was pouring the rain??? I had washed the bike about 2 weeks prior to that, Ill admit. Although I didnt bag the ignition switch, I also made a point not to spray water directly in the dash area also. This was the 3 rd ride since I washed it.  Dealer sprayed some contact cleaner in the switch to dry it out, and it does work now. Im just a little unsure about hitting the road again on it without staying close to home just yet.

punkynlew said:
I didn't lose my fob but got a start, err non-start at Daytona Bike Week last Sunday. When I went to leave, after breaking down my Leesure Lite Excel camp trailer and hooking it up to my Australian hitch, the ignition didn't click when I pushed in the stove knob/key and it wouldn't start. It had me going for about 30 minutes of tapping with a K-rock and fretting I would be stuck there. Finally, I pushed on the stove knob/key and it clicked and allowed the key to turn and I could start the bike. Whew, what a relief that was. Many of us have had similar problems with Kipass. So far, it hasn't stopped me from liking the bike. If I had Cap'n Bob's problems with Kipass, I may feel different. BTW, the trailer pulled fine for 500 miles and is very useful and easy to set up. I saw one other C14 at Beemerville/Holiday RV Campground and one in Daytona.  Lew

Supatramp said:
I had the Stovepipe spring issue occur in Sturgis last Sept. while doing a solo ride. I had no prior issues with it, till the failure.
After tapping and beating on the ignition box, off and on for about three hours, it made contact and the bike started.
I wish that it hadn't, because I decided that I was going to rent a vehicle to transport my Connie back to NJ, rather than have the issues, your buddy had.
So, now with the bike running, I make a spontaneous decision to get as close to NJ as I can, while it would still run.
I made it home, with only 30 minutes sleep, never turning off the stovepipe. It has the makings of a great campfire story now, but it really sucked at the time.
People who have never had a Kipass problem, probably would change any positive opinions they have, once they've had a problem with it, especially if it occurred 1800 miles from home.