• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Klim Latitude

56taskforce

Well have had two zipper failures with my Joe Rocket ballistic ultra pants and have heard from a few that quality with the Joe Rocket stuff has suffered. I really want an all weather set of gear as I not only ride year around with mountain passes involved in a good portion of my rides I often ride through all weather in a single day.
After looking far and wide it is looking like the newest version 2018 Klim Latitude is going to be the best fit, anybody have the new Latitude jacket and pants? I currently have no riding pants, funding is tight, I am relying on the bike for my commute, and Klim isn't cheap. I really like to know what others think...

I tried on the Latitude Jacket at the closest place I could find one, BMW dealer ,it is a nice jacket , I weigh about 205 and I will buy the extra large for myself , I just five minutes ago emailed them to see if they still had it in stock as of tomorrow and asked a price (I know they won’t discount it) so if it is In. Stock I will have it next week, I also have the Badlands pants (never worn) to go with the jacket  I prefer the badlands pant tot the latitude pants !

My brother-in-law is more of an adventure bike guy but also rides a Ducati Multistrada, he wears the Badlands stuff don't think he wears it on the Ducati but have to ask him what he thinks.

Grant said:
My brother-in-law is more of an adventure bike guy but also rides a Ducati Multistrada, he wears the Badlands stuff don't think he wears it on the Ducati but have to ask him what he thinks.
[/quote
I prefer the less black colors and has some nice sized vents on the thighs of the Badlands pants.

Thank you for your reply I will definitely be looking into it.

I have the older Latitude jacket and like it. I also have the older Latitude pants. Not sure if the new ones are different, but mine are riding pants not over pants. You can only wear underwear or cycling type shorts under them. Just a heads up.

Eddie-FL said:
I have the older Latitude jacket and like it. I also have the older Latitude pants. Not sure if the new ones are different, but mine are riding pants not over pants. You can only wear underwear or cycling type shorts under them. Just a heads up.

I too have the older Latitude jacket in hi-viz.  I bought it on the last day of COG Nationals in 2014.  I am six foot, 210# and wear Large.

I bought the Latitude overpants/rain pants in Large at the same time.  I wear them over my khakis or jeans when I go to work.  Not insulated but wind and waterproof.

I bought the matching Latitude riding pants at the COG Nationals in 2016 in Georgia.  I also bought KLIM riding long underwear then.

Previously, I had been using Cycle Gear hi-viz jacket and pants from BILT.  Good but not Gore-Tex like Klim uses.

When I rode back from the Nationals in 2014, I encountered a heavy thunderstorm on the south side of Chicago.  I had the Klim jacket and BILT pants on.  I stopped under a bridge for the first time ever because I wasn't sure other drivers could see me well enough in the downpour.  I checked the front pocket of the Klim jacket to find it had caught and kept a cup of rainwater.  I had forgotten to check the Velcro flap when I had last stopped for gas.  My wallet was safe but soaked.  The pockets are that waterproof!

My jacket has faded a bit says my wife.  But I have washed it a couple of times to keep it clean.

I like my Klim gear.

MWH

If money is tight, I would stay away from Klim.  IMHO, it is great gear...but over-priced.

I've been using Olympia gear now for years and ride like you do, year around.  I've been fortunate to save some money by getting the closeout versions of their gear, but even at full-price it is far far less expensive than Klim and I think comes with more features.

Chris

Watching with interest in further responses.  Just was in WV over the weekend for a 4-day trip, and had to ride home from WV to eastern PA in the monsoon yesterday.  Rained non-stop, sometimes heavily, for the whole 5 hour ride.  I have a nice pair of Gore-tex Sidi boots -- that were totally useless because my Tourmaster Caliber pants(which are supposedly waterproof - HAH!) let enough water through that every time I stopped after the first hour I had to dump 3-4 cups of water out of my boots  because it had soaked through the pants and ran down my legs and collected there.  My Sliders jacket(also made by Tourmaster - and also supposedly waterproof) allowed enough moisture through that my phone, in an inside pocket, got wet enough that it fried it.  Had to go buy a new one today.  I had not taken my waterproof gloves along as they are insulated and the forecast was not predicting the monsoon and 50 degree temps that we ended up seeing on Sunday, so my street gloves were as soaked as can be.  My fault, and lesson learned.  I've already ordered a pair of 'Stich three digit overgloves for the future.  Now I'm looking at upgrading my riding gear so I don't get drenched next time I'm caught in the rain.  One of the features I really like about the latest Latitude model is the leather in the abrasion areas.  I assume it would hold up better in the unfortunate event than the ballastic of the 'Stich.  I also really like the redesigned venting of the Latitude, but I'm not as much of a fan of Klim's tighter fit.  I like a little room for my Knox back protector and extra layers, and the svelt Klim may not provide enough extra space.  I'll need to try one on to see.  I'm also gangly, so am worried whether Klim's one-size-fits-all will cover me appropriately.  I'm leaning towards 'Stich for the pants.  Probably the Roadmaster.  I don't ever wear my gear over street clothes so the unlined Darien isn't what I'm looking for.  With what these company's both cost, it's nice to hear experiences before dropping such a large sum.

Grant,

I have the Latitude jacket and pants. They are great, however I did have some leaking on an earlier model. The Klim sits in my closet, however as I have preferred Aerostich Darien. I too ride every day through any weather and I like the pockets and functionality of the Darien. Klim looks better, however I find it sits in my closet.

Staylo said:
...my Tourmaster Caliber pants(which are supposedly waterproof - HAH!) let enough water through that every time I stopped after the first hour I had to dump 3-4 cups of water out of my boots  because it had soaked through the pants and ran down my legs and collected there.  ...
I had those same pants once.  Eventually they leaked.  What seems to happen, is the stitching in the seams for the waterproof lining get pulled as you put them on over your boots.  The boots catch on the lining material and that eventually pulls those seams apart.  When that happens, they leak.  I resorted for awhile to putting duct tape over the seams and that worked for quite awhile till the material all over just started leaking.

I ended up buying some Olympia pants.  (I have no connection with the company, other than being a satisfied user.)  At first, I didn't understand their design philosophy.  Later, I understood.  The closest model now offered is the XMoto2 pants.  I got mine on closeout for about half the price, but they seem identical to the current version, except for the name.  Anyway, here's what I like about them.  You have two parts to the pants.  A textile outer layer that you wear all the time.  Pockets in front and back.  Full length zippers.  And this is what makes them a bit different.  The entire top of the thigh unzips and tucks into the knee to shin area leaving you with a mesh pant on top for ventilation. 

The other thing that is different, is the rain/wind proof liner is separate.  If it will be raining, or cold, just slip that on first.  You can put it on separate, or just pull it on and off along with the outer layer.  Since it is separate, your boots don't catch on it and pull on the seams.  And since it is separate, if it does begin leaking, just go to Big 5, REI or Cabella's and buy some rain pants to wear.  They don't have to be "motorcycle" rain pants.  Just waterproof. 

And like when I went to Iceland in between legs of my last motorcycle trip, I took the rain pant liner with me.  They work just great as a separate rain pant.  Then when I was coming back through Zion and it was hot, the liner was tucked away in my pannier and the outer pant shell was opened up to the mesh layer.

They are extremely versatile and probably the last riding pants I'll ever own.

One more word on the Olympia jackets.  I owned the AST2 till recently.  I thought it was extremely well designed and constructed.  A lot of more inexpensive jackets have a waterproof liner, and the "venting" opens up into the waterproof liner area...not directly through to you inside.  The AST2 has chest, arm and back vents that open up through the liner to put cooling air directly on you.  Olympia took the extra effort to make sure the vents had waterproof zippers to keep water out when closed.  The only reason I still do not have my AST2, is that the replacement, the Ranger went on closeout and had a huge price cut.  I sold the AST2 and use the Ranger now.  There's not much difference.  The Ranger has the same kind of waterproof liner and has a quilted liner that works with it to keep the cold out.

I also bought the closeout version of the Dakar jacket.  (Notice a trend here?  Buy the "closeout" version and get what used to be the latest and greatest...and save a lot of $$$.)  It is a full mesh jacket with a rain proof liner and cold weather quilted liner.  Both can be worn as separate clothing items.  I mix these liners with the AST2/Ranger jacket and have a lot of versatility.

FWIW, since buying the Olympia gear, I haven't used rain gear while riding.

Chris

Well I have been looking around for what I want in a pair of riding pants that are #1 all weather #2 over pants that are easy on and off. I believe I have found what I want in the Klim Torrent, the price is premium but not out of question and they will team up with my current Joe Rocket Ballistic  Adventure jacket until finances allow then I think I will upgrade to a Klim  Apex jacket.
I really like how the Apex looks, it's the only piece of gear that I have found that is  specifically designed as a sport touring piece. According to Klim the Apex is Badlands function in a street sport riding jacket, I am thinking Klim had the Connie and FJR rider in mind when designing the Apex I hope it performs as well as I think it will because the only thing I don't like so far is the price. As far as the Torrent pants as of now my size is out of stock everywhere.

A pair of Torrents in my size popped up at Cycle Gear so I got them coming.