• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

KLR 650s Whos has one?

KLRIDER

This is my '99, an A13 KLR 650, Dulcinea. http://klrider.smugmug.com/photos/573612865_xN9dg-M.jpg Pat COG 1887 IBA 5830 NRA LIFE VSSA LIFE Assorted bikes own me.

I had one. Same color. Rode that puppy all over the US, including up to the Arctic Circle and into Mexico. I miss it. Think I am gonna get me a new one.

A wonderful bike. Mine turned over 40K while I was in Moab last month. --chris - on the trailing edge of technology

Damn, I miss mine :( Wonder how Pookie is doing. I still have a David "Jake" Jakeman original Doohickey on a necklace, one of the last ones made at Sagebrush Machine before he passed.... does that count as still owning?!!? Damn.... http://millerized.com/pegs I'll be in the garage
welder.gif
COG 6425, CDA 111 a through g
member8960.png

Haven't ridden my Concours much since getting the KLR. Put 35K on it in 8 months after retirement a year ago. Had a couple of 1500 mile days with the Rick Mayer saddle, which in my humble opinion is the best out there. Rick is a KLR rider and has ridden the "big rally", so he's got a pretty good handle on what it takes to go the distance. You need a center stand to make tire repair and maintenance easy(er) for yourself. Then it's just a matter of how far you want to go with everything else. If you are looking for an older model, go with something of 2000 or earlier vintage. That's good advise I got from Guy Young, who also rides the snot out of a thumper. My 00 has 55K, never worry about a breakdown(like my Concours),easy to mess with the gearing.....55+ MPG and you can load it like a mule. Best bike/most fun ever on anything. Mine's pretty distint with the way I have it set up, and always draws a crowd. I'm headed to Labrador shortly and know it will treat me right on a Florida to Goose Bay run. Get one,,,,you won't be sorry. 09 Rat Bike National winner Al Norcross

Hey Now, I have an A19, it was my first 4 stroke motorcycle 8^). I like it a lot. I have been prepping it out for some long distance riding. Don't know when I will get the time, but it is fun to work on. I find it compliments the Concours well. I usually commute on it during the summer and the Concours during the cooler months and winter. Here are a few pics:
KLRwithPelicans04.jpg
KLRwithPelicans05.jpg
KLRwithPelicans06.jpg

Cool, guys. Yeah, the KLR is just a most versatile bike. IF (Heaven forbid!)I was restricted to just one bike, the KLR would have to be it. Dulcinea's saddle is a Rick Mayer, made about six months before he died. He designed the original Russell Day Long saddle, I believe. She has 54K on her now, I put on all but 1200 of those miles. She's been in Montana (twice), Labrador, NewFoundland, to the Run With The Wolf rally four times, and on most of West Virginia's "roads". Yup, Al. The KLR has a way of causing other bikes to collect dust and spider webs. After being asked "don't you have a Concours?" for a couple years I finally sold the Connie. Gotta ride 'em. Guy has a set of TKC 80s that he placed STUDS in for his KLR, Isabel.(Named for a hurricane). ;p No more slip slidin'. I remember seeing your KLR at the R&P rally, Rich. I think the bug was in my mind then and that just kicked it up to "must do". Ain't it fun when other riders ask, "did you ride that thing ALL the way here???". Wish I had been on Dulcinea this past weekend on the COG North & South ride. The Wee Strom needed exercise. Jay Shaffer led an excellent ds ride in MD and PA....not really sure where we were......my Wee Strom got through the tank traps and mud bogs OK but not as easily as the KLR. I'd love get out to Utah for a couple weeks............ Pat COG 1887 IBA 5830 NRA LIFE VSSA LIFE Assorted bikes own me.

Yeah, add me to the club - an 05. like Walstibs. While I'm heavily invested in the connie, I love the klr, and it is more versatile than a larger bike. My bike had alot of add - ons to it when I bought it. I added a c-stand and some carb / exhaust work, and I have a kl600 tranny waiting to go in it (1st gear is 7.5% lower). I'm doing the tranny so I can grunt around better off - road when I take the bike hunting. I just have to put my voyager back together first - HMMM, too many ikes? Naaaa - steve

I have an 86 Love the thing went through it this spring new top end and clutch new werks performance shock ,fork springs great to take off with and hit the fire roads thought about a new one but if this taps a tree its just fine

You guys are EVIL! After the rains we had, (driveway washouts, mud, etc), now THIS thread, you've got me thinking about getting a KLR! Might have to sell my GL650.... ..dz.. 2003 Concours 1983 Honda Silverwing 2008 Yamaha Majesty (new) 2003 Honda XR70 (son's)

Steve wrote Yeah, add me to the club - an 05. I added a c-stand and some carb / exhaust work, and I have a kl600 tranny waiting to go in it (1st gear is 7.5% lower). I'm doing the tranny so I can grunt around better off - road when I take the bike hunting. Steve, A local friend put the KLX600 forks on his KLR, it's quite an off road beast! But they may be a little hard to find. Pat Pat COG 1887 IBA 5830 NRA LIFE VSSA LIFE Assorted bikes own me.

2006 KLR 650. My wife bought it for me on e-bay last summer. 2,000 miles on it. She tells me, "The good news is that I bought you a KLR. The bad news is that it is in Tennessee." We live in Denver. I didn't think this was bad news, of course, as it guaranteed me a road trip. Due to a long planned family vacation and competing demands at work, I had 2.5 days to fly out to TN and ride it back to Denver. 1,800 miles in 2.5 days. My pinkies and 4th fingers were numb for almost a month afterward and I was shatting hockey pucks for about 2 weeks, as well. Absolutely great bike and the perfect complement to my 1996 Concours Ethan Carter Denver, CO 1995 Concours (~27K miles) 2006 KLR 650 2005 Ford F-250

Great story, Ethan. You're tough, dude! Yeah, a good number of Connie owners have a KLR keeping it company in the stable. :) Enjoy that most versatile bike! Pat COG 1887 IBA 5830 NRA LIFE VSSA LIFE Assorted bikes own me.

I have an 09 Black KLR love it....my connie has to share a lot of riding time with it.I have a campsite rented for the month of Aug.on hwy 29 in NC taking the toy hauler and both bikes plenty of riding for both bikes

I brought a 09 KLR-650 back in Nov & rode it a little bit until it got real cold & when spring came I put enough miles on it to do it's 1st service the 1st week of April as we had some warm weather here in CT to do some riding...then on the 15th of May I picked up my 09 Triumph Sprint ST & put enough miles on it to do it's 1st service in less then 3 weeks & left it in the bike shop while I went on vaca w/ the wife to the COG National w/ the KLR-650 & rode it 2 days out of 2 weeks... when I got back from vaca I picked up the Sprint ST from the bike shop & my KLR-650 sat in the garage collecting dust & I was thinking of selling it or trading it in on a new cage until I went for a 100 mile plus ride last Friday as that was only the 2nd time I used it since getting back from the Cog National in June & now it's 7 miles short of 1100 miles & it is a fun nimble little bike... wife & I have been down sizing & getting rid of a lot of things & if I got the rigth offer for my KLR-650 I would sell it as I have the title in hand & it has the 5 year transferable factory warranty & I would even give U all the accessories that R not on it yet as I'm not that emotionally attached to it since I got the Sprint ST... Plus w/ my physical condition I realized I don't need to be bouncing around in the woods & my KLR-650 has yet to C the dirt or mud & it has been highly modified w/ many more mods still to be installed & if I keep it it's going to be turned into a street fighter!!!...like I said for the right offer I'd sell my KLR-650 in a heart beat as the only thing it's good for now is if the Sprint ST or one of my friends bikes R in the shop getting something done or added to them we have a back up bike to ride... In defense of my 09 KLR-650 I will say I like it waaaaay more than I did my 06 KLR-650 that got totaled back in 9/07/07 as it has more power coming off the line, better wind protection for ur legs due to the tank fairings & even the 4" higher windsceen makes it a little better than stock, but it's not a bike to ride in the rain, at highway speeds of 60mph or faster it is waaaaay more stable then my 06 KLR-650 ever was, & best of all the brakes R a lot lot better then my 06 KLR-650 ever was & I had put the stainless steel lines on my 06 KLR-650 & I want to put them on my 09 KLR-650 if I keep it... ----------------------------- Easy Does It, But Do It 09 Triumph Sprint ST aka Black Phantom 09 KLR650 aka Animal 2