• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Kuryakyn ISO grips + Murphs bar end weights... installed!

kwolf

Training Wheels
Only a minor project, but it turned out great.  I put black Kuryakyn ISO grips on my '02 Connie, and also installed Murph's bar end weights at the same time.  Used stacks of stainless washers between the actual end of the bar and the bar-end weight so the weights are firmly attached to the bars and not putting pressure on the grips.  The throttle-side grip was modified by enlarging the hole on the end (the bar-end end) so there was no rubbing on the washers and the throttle snap-back was unaffected.  Neither grip has the Kuryakyn end cap on... the bar end weight makes it look "finished".  The clearance between the grip and weight on the throttle side is somewhere around 1/64".  Added a rubber washer between the clutch-side grip and bar-end weight so there's no gap on that side.  Used clear silicone adhesive/sealant to glue the grips on.  Note- there was no possibility of dry-fitting the throttle side... the throttle tube was big enough that the Kuryakyn required the uncured silicone to slip over the throttle sleeve.  I'll post a picture or two in a bit.

-KW

A few more things for anyone else who might want to try this.  The bolts that came with the bar end weights weren't long enough due to the washer stack required... so I picked up a couple longer ones at fastenal.  Also, the Kuryakyn part number for these grips is 6341.

At some point a solid spacer might be a little more elegant than a washer stack... but what I've got is working fine.  Here are a few pics.

-KW

Attachments

• side_view.jpg
    side_view.jpg
    327.4 KB · Views: 118
  • kuryakyn_and_barends.jpg
    kuryakyn_and_barends.jpg
    331.2 KB · Views: 142
  • clutch.jpg
    clutch.jpg
    339.4 KB · Views: 126
  • throttle.jpg
    throttle.jpg
    323.9 KB · Views: 147
I've only put about 40 miles on since doing this yesterday.  I like it so far.  It reduced the buzz a little, but not quite as much as I was hoping.  I really like the larger grips.

I did a lot of fiddling to get the throttle snap back to be as responsive and smooth as possible.  Took throttle sleeve completely off, sanded the bar, used some white lithium grease, lubed the cables, made sure the cables were the right tension and routed perfectly.  The snap back is perfect now, probably better than brand new (can't say for sure though since I didn't own a brand new one)... matter of fact it's so easy to twist the throttle now I feel I may have over-achieved.  :))  Any little bump and if I'm not paying attention I just changed my speed.

I think it's pretty fugly now with the blue tank... not digging the mix of colors.  The original tank is a mess though, peeling tank liner over a ton of rust... and this was the most expedient and cheapest route I found to getting it back on the road again.  Eventually I'll probably have the whole thing painted, but that's pretty far down on the list of things to do.  17" wheel conversion is next.  Followed by a front suspension upgrade.

-KW