• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

LD/Touring fitness

fourwayz

Moped
I read through the previous post of how long to ride. The subject of being physically fit did not get addressed. I have the seen the fitness programs of pro riders that seem to translate to long distance and adventure riders. Being in good general health and fitness for long rides seems to be a no-brainer for me. Does anyone have a fitness "routine" to help with the long ride preparation?

:iagree: I was thinking along the same lines.  I read a short article [ Road RunnerTravel] that confirmed my thoughts.  The article briefly discussed the importance of 1) stretching, 2) increasing endurance and 3) core strength without going in to much detail. 

I would also like to hear what folks are doing to improve in these areas in preparation for long rides. 

I'll share what works for me. I follow a Triathlon training approach year round. The swimming, biking, running will work everything in the body and increase endurance.  It may not be for everyone, but the bonus is entering into some Triathlons and other races for some added fun.

Despite doing the endurance training, riding a motorcycle for long periods of times will still be a challenge. It's not as much about getting tired physically, but more about just dealing with monkey butt, neck pain, wrist pain etc that ergonomics can solve. Basically, no matter how good of shape you are in, long miles will still hurt. Fortunately compared to long bicycle rides, the pain will be tolerated well. 

If not doing the swimming biking and running, I think overall core strength and conditioning is a key area to work on.

The 12oz curls aren't working for me.

I was once 305lbs. Feeling good at 225lbs is fine and all, but my hamstrings need to be repaired from all the seat time. And I could be 190lbs, sure would be a performance gain on the bike.

My lower back was killing me this summer after about one month (KLR, some logging roads, etc, for hours a day) on the road. Went for a massage and the masseuse said it was my kidneys. I had been drinking plenty of water but for whatever reason wasn't able to utilize the water efficiently. I needed more nutrients between meals. ATTGATT across the deserts in the west will do strange things to the body apparently. She also said if I wanted to continue to sit on a bike as much as I do that I needed to work on keeping my hamstrings from curling up into little knots. Money well spent. And I was glad it wasn't my back...

I think some body-weight squats have helped me to warm up and then stretch. Does feel good. After a long bumpy day on the KLR I roll around on the floor in an attempt to massage out my back and kidneys, also feels really good. At home I have an inversion table, but I'm never home, and about to rent my place out again so I will be needing this advice more than ever. Need good habits if I want to ride until my spine turns to dust....

I need to lose weight and strengthen my core. As bad a shape as I'm in, what works very well for me is forcing myself to sit with perfect posture. Roll the pelvis forward to get off the tailbone, straighten the spine completely and pull the shoulders back. All that together will lean my torso forward a little, even with my "ape-hanger" PE bars, but puts no weight on my wrists. Cruiser riders look at me funny...he's one of "those" guys. ;D

DDP Yoga (Sun, Tue & Thur), Swimming (Mon, Wed & Fri).  On the road to recovery (blown knee, ankle and shattered collarbone) and loosing weight.  Was doing Kettle bells for the core but collar bone was still too weak for it.

Thought I'd resurrect this thread.  I've signed up for the GCE Rolling Rally and am trying to get ready physically.  In my younger days, I rode a sport bike (v45 Interceptor) half way across the country in a couple of days (Ft Worth to San Diego).  I'm not physically up to that kind of torture without a significant amount of preparation. 

I figure this trip will cover about 3000 km or about 1800-1900 miles over two weeks.  So over the next 3 months...aim to work on my core strength and lose some more weight (at least 20 lbs more).  I've been pretty diligent over the last month...squeezing in some exercise and watching my diet(not much  :beerchug:).  I'm already down over 20 lbs (274-->253 lbs) and feel quite a bit better.  I've been working on the basics using an old Bowflex to tone myself for about 35 minutes per day.  I do 3 sets of 10-12 basic exercises...at a fast enough pace to start breathing hard and to sweat.  I'll be trying out some of the ideas from this thread to change things up and keep interested.

Of course the real test will be the rally...  :motonoises:

I've started doing some yoga and that has helped a lot as it's not only a stretching program, but also helps to strengthen some of my weak areas and remind you to breathe properly. In addition to core work in yoga, depending on some instructors, you can make big gains on working on tight hips and glutes/hamstrings for the long rides. I've also started doing some mountain biking which helps on both upper body, spinning up on climbs plus  the downhills and technical sections translating to better handling on the motorbike. Every person is different, so do what works to get you going, but what ever you do, make sure it's fun and you can do a few times a week! My stamina on the long rides are now better and my legs and back are not as sore.

I don't work for these folks but the workouts are pretty good and they have versions for those of us not so physically able in some areas.  It has helped me a lot so passing it on.

Take a look at DDP YOGA.

http://ddpyoga.com/

And I have to admit I was too manly to give it a try at first until a friend of mine pushed me into it.  Surprising how much sweat develops in a low/no impact exercises.  Pretty crazy.

I've found there are 2 sides to LD riding; physical and mental. All posts about the physical side of the equation are most valid. In addition to the suggested ways, riding increasing distances always helps because it uses the muscles required to ride the bike. Your bike must be comfortable; no pinched neck muscles, aching shoulders, lower back pain, hand cramps, leg cramps, etc. If you cannot make the bike comfortable for you - sell it, and get one you can make comfortable.

The mental side of the equation includes having the desire to ride longer distances and maintaining a high level of concentration and riding skills to reduce your risk. Most importantly, you must be aware of your body's circadian rhythm - your body clock. Fatigue is the ultimate limit to riding big miles.  If it is not managed properly, your ride may not turn out well. For further information on this subject go to the Ironbutt Association's "Words of Wisdom" (www.ironbutt.com) and the excellent articles written by Dr. Don Arthur, former USN surgeon general, dealing with fatigue.

robertv said:
I've started doing some yoga and that has helped a lot as it's not only a stretching program, but also helps to strengthen some of my weak areas and remind you to breathe properly. In addition to core work in yoga, depending on some instructors, you can make big gains on working on tight hips and glutes/hamstrings for the long rides. I've also started doing some mountain biking which helps on both upper body, spinning up on climbs plus  the downhills and technical sections translating to better handling on the motorbike. Every person is different, so do what works to get you going, but what ever you do, make sure it's fun and you can do a few times a week! My stamina on the long rides are now better and my legs and back are not as sore.

I think you hit upon one of the keys, "...make sure it's fun and you can do a few times a week!"  Not sure that yoga is for me, but might give it a try.  I'm a bit worried about being in class around all those ladies in tights, though  :)  But I can imagine the benefits from all the stretching.

ChrisD said:
I don't work for these folks but the workouts are pretty good and they have versions for those of us not so physically able in some areas.  It has helped me a lot so passing it on.

Take a look at DDP YOGA.

http://ddpyoga.com/...

I can see why you recommend those guys.  The website testimonials are pretty powerful.

If I was to try Yoga, I would probably have to go that route (DVD's).  The opportunities on post for Yoga are few and far between...not too certain about out in town.

Larry_Buck_FL said:
I've found there are 2 sides to LD riding; physical and mental. All posts about the physical side of the equation are most valid. In addition to the suggested ways, riding increasing distances always helps because it uses the muscles required to ride the bike. Your bike must be comfortable; no pinched neck muscles, aching shoulders, lower back pain, hand cramps, leg cramps, etc. If you cannot make the bike comfortable for you - sell it, and get one you can make comfortable.

The mental side of the equation includes having the desire to ride longer distances and maintaining a high level of concentration and riding skills to reduce your risk. Most importantly, you must be aware of your body's circadian rhythm - your body clock. Fatigue is the ultimate limit to riding big miles.  If it is not managed properly, your ride may not turn out well. For further information on this subject go to the Ironbutt Association's "Words of Wisdom" (www.ironbutt.com) and the excellent articles written by Dr. Don Arthur, former USN surgeon general, dealing with fatigue. 

I agree 100% on every point you've made.  I'm working on the comfort part.  Lots of money spent on farkles that will contribute to physical comfort.  I am concentrating on the making myself ready.  Everything you've mentioned has been or is going to be considered.  I've still got about 3 months to make sure the bike fits me and to physically/mentally build myself up to the challenge.

RWulf said:
For me I have found a rowing machine is really good.

I've used a rowing machine before and can attest that it's a good workout....however, I don't have one handy.  I'm doing the best I can with an old bowflex and seem to be able to get a decent 35 minute workout with it.  I've been at it for over a month and can honestly say that consistency has been key.  I've dropped 20 lbs and am still going down. :great:

My wife uses the yoga dvd's several times a week. I just use the stretches I learned many years ago as an Army Master Fitness Trainer.

Ranger Jim said:
My wife uses the yoga dvd's several times a week. I just use the stretches I learned many years ago as an Army Master Fitness Trainer.

I'm going to start the Plank 30 day challenge on Sunday.  Depending on results I may go ahead and give the Yoga DVD's a go.  Will probably use the ones mentioned by ChrisD or try one of the other DVD exercise programs like P90X for 30 days or so....Have to mix it up to keep it interesting like previously mentioned.  That leaves me with about 2 weeks (until the Rally...which will be my test  :)).

Amphib -

I've had back/neck issues for 20+ years now (CONSTANT pain, severely reduced mobility) - I've found yoga was a HUGE help, but too me years to find something that I cared to do/could get into.

Classes suck, because, well, most instructors are clueless about true limitations and think everyone's just "not trying hard enough".

DVD's seem to move too fast, especially for a newbie trying to learn the positions while struggling against weakness or stiffness. Plus you have to figure out what to do, what to skip.

My wife came across a book that we both find approachable - she presents yoga as a mechanical exercise process, without any of the mystical mumbo-jumbo. It's been an incredibly effective part of my improvement - within about 4 months I've gone from barely being able to touch my knees to doing a pose where you bend over and tuck your hands under your feet. It's some of the hardest work I've done, but the improvement has been fast, and it's completely altered how I ride, and nearly eliminated leg pain both on the bike and driving a car for longer stints.

Now here's where y'all get to make fun of me - the book is called "Slim Calm Sexy Yoga" by Tara Stiles. Got a picture of her on the cover in a tough pose. Wouldn't mind having a vid of her showing the poses!  :))

11 months ago I had a total knee replacement.  Now I walk at least 12,000 steps a day. (about 6 miles)  It has done wonders for my endurance on the bike.  Now, instead of dragging my bad leg around at the end of the day, I feel great and pain free! :beerchug:

reid53 said:
11 months ago I had a total knee replacement.  Now I walk at least 12,000 steps a day. (about 6 miles)  It has done wonders for my endurance on the bike.  Now, instead of dragging my bad leg around at the end of the day, I feel great and pain free! :beerchug:

Sounds like that knee replacement did some good!  Also, good to hear that walking helps. 

I don't do as much as you (12000 steps or about 6 miles) but I do make an effort to get out 3-4 times a week to walk at least 45 minutes to an hour.  Germany has tons of walking trails. 

I'm still working my Bowflex and am on day 4 of ChrisD's 30 day plank challenge.  I'm not giving up... :-\

reid53 said:

Wow, that's amazing! Was going to say I'm not sure I could walk six miles a day these days, but we do 6 mile hikes at altitude. Two years ago (pre-yoga and pre-intense massage therapist), I couldn't.

I can do more now at 49 than I could at 35. Crazy.

How old are you, reid?

Just checked out ddpyoga.com - the video on Arthur is incredible and inspiring.

And here I thought *I* had it bad. Dude looks AMAZING today (and can run!). Just incredible. Interesting to see his own natural drive take over (again) once someone helped him see it was possible.

JimBob said:
reid53 said:

Wow, that's amazing! Was going to say I'm not sure I could walk six miles a day these days, but we do 6 mile hikes at altitude. Two years ago (pre-yoga and pre-intense massage therapist), I couldn't.

I can do more now at 49 than I could at 35. Crazy.

How old are you, reid?

63 and counting!  Knee feels better now than 20yrs ago.  :great:

Long distance riding requires physical and mental endurance. I try to cross train in general mixing weights & cardio and will intensify this prior to a trip. You don't need a gym membership or allot of gear. A few sets of dumbbells can cover anything. http://www.menshealth.com/fitness/10-pound-dumbbell-exercises
That being said I don't run marathons or work out everyday, especially at my age where recovery takes longer. Trying to incorporate yoga in the off days for the ever tightening soft tissue connection joints.
Bicycling is a great low impact exercise. I alternate road rides (1 1/2 hrs) in my hilly area and mountain biking on single track trails in the woods for an hour or more. Another added benefit is this toughens up your a** for those long days in the saddle.

+1 on the bicycle seat toughening the a** for the long trips.  :rotflmao: The motorcycle seat by comparison seems like the most comfortable thing you ever sat on.

AmphibSailor said:
Thought I'd resurrect this thread.  I've signed up for the GCE Rolling Rally and am trying to get ready physically.  In my younger days, I rode a sport bike (v45 Interceptor) half way across the country in a couple of days (Ft Worth to San Diego).  I'm not physically up to that kind of torture without a significant amount of preparation. 

I figure this trip will cover about 3000 km or about 1800-1900 miles over two weeks.  So over the next 3 months...aim to work on my core strength and lose some more weight (at least 20 lbs more).  I've been pretty diligent over the last month...squeezing in some exercise and watching my diet(not much  :beerchug:).  I'm already down over 20 lbs (274-->253 lbs) and feel quite a bit better.  I've been working on the basics using an old Bowflex to tone myself for about 35 minutes per day.  I do 3 sets of 10-12 basic exercises...at a fast enough pace to start breathing hard and to sweat.  I'll be trying out some of the ideas from this thread to change things up and keep interested.

Of course the real test will be the rally...  :motonoises:

I've been at it for the last two months or so and am starting to feel stronger.  I haven't shed a lot of weight (about 20lbs) but feel that I can physically handle the bike a lot better.  I've been using my old bowflex pretty religiously...coupling it with some things recommended by others...(Plank Challenge...thanks ChrisD...I'm on day 16 and really feeling it within my gut...couple more weeks on this challenge and then on to P90X for a month).  I think I'll be ready.  :beerchug:

I'm still at it.  Working on month 3 or is it 4..??  Slowing down the pace...recently hopped over my weight loss plateau...feels good.  So far, I've shed about 38 lbs and still losing (hopefully).  I was stuck at 250 for almost a month.  Thanks for all the suggestions on building core strength... :motonoises:

I'm in the upper 230's, now.  It's been pretty difficult to keep losing since I broke my foot and toes at the GCE Rally....It's all I can do to maintain what I've lost so far...(over 40 lbs).  Hopefully, I'll lose the titanium wires in my foot within a couple of weeks....that'll signal that I can put some weight on the forward part of the foot.... :great:

I am a fat guy who can only run for about 2min and I am dieing. With that said I can still knock out  long miles 1200 in a weekend. For me tho I have found its  more about how often I ride then how good of shape I am.