• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Leaking Clutch Lever

RICHKAWI

My '15 with 25k miles has started leaking fluid from the clutch lever. The leak comes from behind the rubber boot that covers the pivot and leaves a few drops onto the glove box door.
I've replaced the Piston Assembly (Partzilla #43020) which worked for about 50 miles. Now the leak is back and maybe worse than before.
Any suggestions before I order the entire assembly ($350)?

Thanks

Rich

Did you check where the clutch hose attaches to the master cylinder? You could have a cracked crush washer.

If there's a light scratch or nick in the bore, you could try to lap or hone it out. There used to be such a thing as brake cylinder hone.

The hoses and their connections seemed fine. The bore seemed fine, but I did not do a thorough inspection. If the bore is nicked or scratched in any way, its probably best to just replace the entire assembly anyway.

Are you absolutely positive of the leak location and that it’s not leaking from cover?

After flushing all fluids I did have a seep on the front brake and the clutch reservoir caps. After re-tightening to a point that made me uncomfortable they’ve stopped seeping. I have never experienced this on another motorcycle - so a bit perplexed. I am curious if the rubber reservoir seals are supposed to be replaced after brake system flush - that would not surprise me.

Probably not relevant your situation but wanted to share.

Are you absolutely positive of the leak location and that it’s not leaking from cover?

After flushing all fluids I did have a seep on the front brake and the clutch reservoir caps. After re-tightening to a point that made me uncomfortable they’ve stopped seeping. I have never experienced this on another motorcycle - so a bit perplexed. I am curious if the rubber reservoir seals are supposed to be replaced after brake system flush - that would not surprise me.

Probably not relevant your situation but wanted to share.
Same thing has happened to me. I got a 2009 C14 from a friend a month ago. I flushed the clutch and the front brake, bought some speed bleeders from Murph's. I now have a leak from the front brake master cylinder. Like you, this is the first time I've experienced this.

I'm about to order rubber reservoir seals for both clutch and front brake from Revzilla. I'll report on progress after I install these.

Nick Diaz, Middletown (Frederick County), MD

Same thing has happened to me. I got a 2009 C14 from a friend a month ago. I flushed the clutch and the front brake, bought some speed bleeders from Murph's. I now have a leak from the front brake master cylinder. Like you, this is the first time I've experienced this.

I'm about to order rubber reservoir seals for both clutch and front brake from Revzilla. I'll report on progress after I install these.

Nick Diaz, Middletown (Frederick County), MD
Nick after tightening both the brake and clutch reservoir covers (excessively) all seeping ceased. Not until after I got some brake fluid on the gray top fascia / panels and hand warmer knob - thankfully only one small dot of a blemish resulted…

I'll try excessively tightening the reservoir covers first. I did get some brake fluid on the old storage bin cover (I own a 2009, old style).

If not, I'll order new reservoir seals (the black rubber pieces). Thank you, 2andblue, for your input.

After upgrading to the Galpher braided stainless line clutch and brake lines, I too had the weeping brake and clutch reservoir covers. Never sure why and I can’t recall what I did to make it go away, if anything.

After upgrading to the Galpher braided stainless line clutch and brake lines, I too had the weeping brake and clutch reservoir covers. Never sure why and I can’t recall what I did to make it go away, if anything.
Due to the fact we travel to nowhere at times and experienced the issue - we have a small sealed container of synthetic DOT4 on the bike. I feel stupid carrying, for a high performing machine, a container of fluid for when it leaks…

As I stated after jumbo tightening never leaked again but have kept the extra fluid with us just in case…

Wayne, Carol & Blue

Due to the fact we travel to nowhere at times and experienced the issue - we have a small sealed container of synthetic DOT4 on the bike. I feel stupid carrying, for a high performing machine, a container of fluid for when it leaks…

As I stated after jumbo tightening never leaked again but have kept the extra fluid with us just in case…

Wayne, Carol & Blue
Hi, Wayne. I tried what you suggested, "jumbo tightening" of the front brake reservoir cover, and it worked. I went on a 100-mile ride early this morning, and no weeping at all. Thank you! If either the clutch or brake cover leaks again, I'll share with you on this thread. I hope not, though.... :)

Went for a 150-mile ride on Friday, 8/20, and glad to report no leakage from either the clutch or the brake reservoir cover. Tightened the screws in a "jumbo" way and it worked, at least for now. :) Nick Diaz, Middletown, MD

If you have to jumbo tighten, you may have warped the plastic reservoir cover.
I've never had to jumbo tighten, but I went to a set of these aluminum covers recently as I liked the looks.
Aluminum covers might be a solution to your issues.
(Sorry, can only see covers that are shipped from China right now)

I would probably look at the cover seal before going too nuts on tightening the screws up on the cover. I use goodentight on most things but not so tight it makes it a pain to take off the next time.