• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Lessons of Hubris: U-Turn + Front Brake

combustify

Bicycle
I was riding around town this morning, happy that I could fit my new torque wrench and socket set into my saddlebags somehow. I'd been having a little buyers remorse from the tip-over bars I hadn't yet installed; I was feeling confident at low speeds and there were other performance/maintenance costs on my mind. As I was pulling in to grab some lunch, I swung a U-turn through an empty space so I could park facing out...

Whoops! I didn't fully straighten the wheel out before I pulled the front brake, and inward it went. I was able to lay it down gently, hit the kill switch, and pick it up before anyone could notice. Not a new scratch on it, but I'll be installing the tip-over bars in the morning.  :))

Given the pain I now have from hossing that beast gingerly to and from the ground, I'll jokingly call them murph's secondary knee-savers.

Or, don't stop with either brake until your bike is squared up.

Did exactly the same thing, left hand sharp U-ey into a strategic parking space, stopped the bike with the REAR brake with the bars nowhere near center.  :eek:

PLOP.  :-[

Someday I'll post the video.  :-X