• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

let the beating begin..

rwjc

Scooter
I KNOW this is a "tired" subject, but new ones have come out..and I am looking for some specifics. Yes, I'm talking...TIRES"!

The specifics...:
I ride daily, irregardless of weather..hurricanes included. Here in South LA, its poor roads and rain & heat. I do not ride the canyons and the closest I get to a twisty is a traffic circle :-\

I need long milage(run about 3500-5500mi a month), good wet traction for highway riding. Also, a tire that handles heavy weights well. I am 6'3" 280, my wife is 6'. (not telling her weight, I value my life) I am seriously considering WING size tires..my previous connie was mostly just me, I think I had Avon Venom..I think... ;D

So if any of you ride like this, or have suggestions...I'm all ears...my front is about gone, sand I have a stock on the rear...THANKS!!!

Well i would recommend Brigestones, Battleaxe's, not sure about mileage, probably about 10K on the rear and 12 on front if you';re really doing 5500 a month you'll be putting on tires every other month regardless of brand.

I run a Dunlop D220 on the rear of my 02. Won't tell our weight either but is well over 500lbs with just the two of us. I get about 10 k on it. Where abouts in south LA are you? I am in Kenner. 8)

I like Wing sized Dunlop E3s. Went 21.5K on the first set-- 20.5K on the second set. Only 4K on the third set so far but look like new.

Tom Taylor COG#7173

Dunlop Elite 3 is a good choice (though the front tends to howl on curves), good wet traction & very good wear. Avon Venoms have a good reputation (I've never used them but have friends who have). Bridgestone Battleaxes also seem to be in the running; Slybones rides them daily in the PNW (which means frequent wet conditions) and seems very satisfied with the grip and the mileage.

Given the riding conditions, I would go for the best Wing Tire you can get with wet traction capability.  I would ask around about the Avon Venoms and see how they work in the rain. Elite 3's as a backup to that.

I had a set of E3's previously and got 15000 miles.  I've since switched to a Meanstreak rear rim.  My buddy has a BMW K1200LT with ME880's.  In looking them up, they have a BMW specific application.  Being that bike is heavier than my 05 Connie, I'm looking at those as another high mileage option.  I've run ME880's on a cruiser in the past and was satisfied with their performance for my needs.  HTH...

What size do you guys prefer for wing size on the rear?? I may get the Avon road rider or or venom on the front in 110/-17

Rob, I'm on my second set of Venoms. Got over 20,000 miles on the first set. Most miles in the flatlands of Floriduh. I've had no issues in the wet with them. I started using them on the recommendation of Larry Buck. At the time, he was on his third set.

I'm running the GL1500 sizes front and rear. 160/80-16 on the rear and 130/70-18 on the front. HTH.

Eddie