• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Let's get started

Coolsurlasix

Hello everybody!

Nice to join your community. I am a 53-year old youngster with a difficult choice in front of me: bring my '99 Connie from my homeland in Europe, get a used one here, or both since I have two grown ups here that are interested into riding and have / will have soon their M extension. For the time being I have no bike to ride.

The '99 is only my fourth bike in 35 years, the previous one was also a rock-solid Suzie 850G. I put 100.000 miles on it without a single mechanical overhaul (only maintenance and a couple of exhausts).

We are located in Cincinnati, OH area.

See you on the roads when the above is fixed.

Coolsurlasix said:
Hello everybody!

Nice to join your community. I am a 53-year old youngster with a difficult choice in front of me: bring my '99 Connie from my homeland in Europe, get a used one here, or both since I have two grown ups here that are interested into riding and have / will have soon their M extension. For the time being I have no bike to ride.

The '99 is only my fourth bike in 35 years, the previous one was also a rock-solid Suzie 850G. I put 100.000 miles on it without a single mechanical overhaul (only maintenance and a couple of exhausts).

We are located in Cincinnati, OH area.

See you on the roads when the above is fixed.

Welcome !!  :s_hi:

Thank you guys for your welcome. Breaking news : my local governement has cut the budget for the purchase of the US used Connie. So I must work now on sending my 99 from there quite soon. I'll keep you posted of when my butt and the saddle will finally regroup.  ;)

Welcome puddle jumper! You obviously know a good thing, since you're sticking with our 'ole girl, the C-10!  ^-^
Hope to see you at the National this year, in Vermont!
http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,25575.0.html

As all have said, "Welcome" Coolsurlasix.  It's good to have you with us.  I would have thought shipping a bike over the pond would cost more than purchasing a good used one here.  I guess I am mistaken about that.  In any case I hope you're back on two very soon... both of you.  Meanwhile, enjoy all you can around here.  Lots of good info and folks with tons of Connie/GTR experience... it sounds like you will fit in perfectly and I look forward to learning from you all of your ideas and tips for making living with the GTR a fun and happy experience.  Again, Welcome!

Thanks guys. Now that a decision has been made, I launched the operations this week for Miss Connie third transatlantic move. This is not very costly these days, still about 1 grand, so it is cheaper than a used bike here. and I know her from day 1. I will explain why I am sticking to this Connie. My wife bought her new in 1999 as a very nice gift to me. Well she took the loan on her account, nice right? Then, we moved to the US in 2001 for a work assignment I got here, and we brought it over with us. We moved back to Europe in 2005 with her in a container again. When I say "her" this is for Miss Connie.
Then things got more complicated. My job brought us back to the US in 2007 and I was to bring her again at that time, when an as.. at the company HR and International Mobility Dpt had decided that they cannot take her in the container - even if I pay the box and fare for her -  due to administrative risk for import in the US that would lock up the whole container and induce consignment costs to the company. Hey dude, you did move her already twice at that time and I already had a valid US title. Go figure! As a result, I have been deprieved of my Connie for the past four years, thanks to this oxymoron. Only this year could I - moneywise - think about bringing her over here again. The whole fairing is already here, she is naked there in preparation for shipping.
Now you know the full story of my bi-national Connie with a title on both sides of the ocean. In a few weeks hopefully she will be delivered here to us, and this will be the signal for some preparation/restart work before the summer is over, maybe some upgrade on the carburetors to regain the nominal full power during next winter, and also for my formal registration with the local COG chapter. Sorry for the long story.

Welcome. HoPefully you will have your bike ready for the COG national rally.