• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

List yer gear!

shawmutt

Tricycle
Approx how many miles you've worn them, and a brief "how do you like 'em" Helmet: HJC CL-SP, 24,000 miles, love it Jacket: Olympia air glide, 24,000 miles, it's OK as far as dealing with the elements, but the shoulder padding's a bit extreme and makes me look like a football player. The newer models are a bit improved. Pants: Olympia air glide, 20,000 miles, they're pretty good, but leak in through the zipper seams on a very rainy day. Boots: Redwing 980s, 20,000 miles, love them. They kept my feet bone dry in many storms and warm on many cold mornings, without being too hot on the hottest days. Pretty comfortable to walk in too. Gloves: (summer) Olympia Gel Palms, 12,000 miles, not pleased. Left thumb pad wore out in short order, palm stitching is falling apart, they still bleed my hands black after being in many storms. (winter) Tour master winter elite. 12,000 miles, love them. They keep my hands toasty warm for a good while in above freezing temps. Nifty built in rain/wind cover is helpful. Other: ER6 earbuds, 11,000 miles. Like 'em. These earbuds do a really great job of keeping the road noise to a minimum and piping the tunes in. The only issue is that my ears need to be squeaky clean or wax quickly clogs the filter. Replacement filters can be purchased, but at a cost that works out to $5 a set, I keep my ears clean.

Dunno how far I have ridden any of them but: Schuberth C2 modular helmet, white. About one year. Much better than my old HJC Symax. Much quieter. MUCH lighter. MUCH, MUCH more comfortable (the Symax hurt my forehead). Much more expensive. No need for sun glasses, it has a flip up sun visor on the inside that really helps. Good (not great) ventilation on hot days. If I gotta wear a helmet, this is it. Joe Rocket "antique" brown leather jacket. 5 years. I love it, my favorite MC jacket. It is even fairly comfortable on hot days--as long as you are moving. Cortech GX white textile perforated jacket. 4 years. The only way to go when riding in the desert in the summer and on hot days in town. Olympia AST fluorescent yellow textile jacket. About 6 months. It seems nice and has a million zippers to allow airflow and they work pretty good. Yet even with all the zippers open, it can still get clammy on hot, humid days since the jacket is also waterproof. I have still been cut-off twice while wearing it! Icon tan leather short gloves with padded knuckles, perforated. 3-4 years. Good 3 season gloves. Don't remember what brand my winter gauntlets are. 8 months. My hands still got cold, but not as cold and it took longer to get cold. They're black, I don't like black. Triumph lace-up 3/4 boots. 5 years. I likee. Comfortable even to walk around in on hot days. More comfortable even than a lot of street boots. Waterproof without clamminess. Look darned good for MC boots!!! BUT, they're black, don't like black. Draggin' Jeans, blue. About 3 years. OK. "Coin pocket" is on the wrong side. Not comfortable to walk around in when used with the knee pads. BMW tan summer riding pants. About 1 year. They are OK, look good (like cargo pants), comfortable even walking around with the knee pads in. Legs zip off below the knee, but can't get the zipped off legs over my boots. The belt that comes with the pants is useless. Route 1 "antique" brown leather chaps. About 4 years. OK, chaps look stupid, but they keep the bugs off my pants and while I don't find them too hot in the summer, they do seem to keep my legs warm in the winter. I just bought some Firstgear Air overpants but I have not taken a ride with them yet. They're black and, well, you know how I feel about black. raulb 2003 Connie COG #6043 CDA #281 AMA #699463 "It may not be smart or correct, but it's one of the things that make us what we are." --Red Green, "The New Red Green Show"

Shoie Multitec helmet - 60k + Excellent Stich one piece suit - 17K, so far. Easy on, easy off. Waterproof, comfortable, warm enough, cool enough but not cheap. Held gloves.60k + - The best gloves money can buy Boots. I usually wear my Whites Packers. But serious waterproof bike boots are Sidi's. Nice, very nice 2001 Connie - 117K and more to come! AKA "2linby" That's 2-lin-by folks! Northwest Area Director COG #5539 AMA #927779 IBA #15034 TEAM OREGON MC Instructor http://community.webshots.com/user/2linby http://tinyurl.com/njas8 (IBA BunBurner Gold Trip) http://tinyurl.com/lwelx (Alaska trip) Kindest Regards,Your Name. hehehe

Warm Temps: First Gear Mesh jacket (could use better armor) 10,000 miles Field Sheer 4 Season mesh pants (excellent, well made, great armor, light grey to reflect heat) 9,000 miles Mesh gloves (nice and cool) 5,000 miles Olympia summer leather gloves 20,000 miles Cooler Temps: Joe Rocket Jacket and Pants (pants could use another pocket, but overall good) (20,000 miles) Wider Electric gloves (now out of business, but serve me well), 15,000 miles Cloth hood, full coverage (cut out ear area) 15,000 miles Liner from Fieldsheer mesh pants works great under JR pants for extra protection from the cold. Hipora cool weather gloves, waterproof (good all around glove with liners). 10,000 miles Other HJC-12 helmet (too noisy) 20,000 miles. Will replace with an X-11. JR boots (decent but starting to separate the bottom from the top) 20,000 miles Earplugs - custom (ok, but not as good as foam) 15,000 miles. Socks - various wicking. LD Comfort riding shorts - Monkey butt is gone! 10,000 miles. Tshirts - Coolmax wicking. 10,000 miles Chilis long johns - 3,000 miles Fog Tech anti fog for the helmet shield. Very effective but needs to be reapplied every 4 days if needed(easy). Some extra glare at night. 10,000 miles. Rain Gear - Frogg Toggs - good stuff (10,000 miles). Greg H from Mass, Connie Droppers Anonymous Awards Dude COG# 7010,a Tracey CDA 120 99 Connie "Herrin Christabelle", 05 Ninja 250

I don't dare post a list of my gear on the internet. It could be used in divorce proceedings if it ever came out how much stuff has "mysteriously appeared". ;) Ducati-The thinking mans V-Twin

Does my extensive doo-rag collection count?? ;) Dave Muir 1980 LTD1000 - Rocket 1999 Concours - Rocket II 1997 Dyna - wife's CT-COG #3649 Merchandise Czar

Absolutely Dave. Count all your cotton helmets and add 'em to the list. :| Ducati-The thinking mans V-Twin

<b> Does my extensive doo-rag collection count?? </b> As long as you don't consider them "helmets". AKA "2linby" That's 2-lin-by folks! Northwest Area Director COG #5539 AMA #927779 IBA #15034 TEAM OREGON MC Instructor http://community.webshots.com/user/2linby http://tinyurl.com/njas8 (IBA BunBurner Gold Trip) http://tinyurl.com/lwelx (Alaska trip) Kindest Regards,Your Name. hehehe

At this stage of my life, my doo-rags serve as solar protection. :) Dave Muir 1980 LTD1000 - Rocket 1999 Concours - Rocket II 1997 Dyna - wife's CT-COG #3649 Merchandise Czar

HJC's (asst) Fieldsheer Mach IV mesh jacket (no liners) but with over jacket for cold or wet weather. My home-made electric jacket under this and I'm good to any temp. Joe Rocket pants (mesh with liner). Gloves are usually some form of MX gloves for summer and some home-spun electric liners in thinsulate gloves for cold. Sidi tepor boots River Road rain gear. Doo rag for summer under the helmet. ATGATT here. I don;t own a lot of different gear, but I never ride without it.

HJC CL14 First gear mesh with liner out for hot weather Leather for cold weather Magnum boots Olympic jell gloves Jeans flip flopps,shorts and and tank tops for long trips ;p CT AAD COG #7011-A 2003 Concours-Mary Ann 1995 Honda Nighthawk 750 wifes
2404055870098914013eWgtrD_th.jpg
2032479400098914013vMhfsR_th.jpg

Scorpion EXO 700 12,000 miles, It's good, little noisy. Olympia AST (for non-summer) 12,000 miles, good after break-in AlpineStars Bionic S2 Armor (for summer) 6,000 miles, cool and comfy. AlpineStars Reflex Elbow and knee guards 6,000 miles, could be more secure FirstGear gloves for summer, Olympia for Winter 6k,12k, both serve well. Brahma Commando boots (cheap, but oil resistant, waterproof and good enough until I decide on something better)12,000 miles(second pair) Nelson Rigg AX-1 Rain Gear 4,000 miles, serves very well.

Aerostitch Roadcrafter Two-Piece Suit. In cool/cold weather I use either a Gerbing or Aerostitch Heated Jacket with rheostat control. Approaching 200K miles in the last ten years. Sidi Sympatex Waterproof Boots. They are four years old and still water-proof. Before them, it was a set of Beemer Gore-tex lined boots. Nolan Flip-top helmet. I'm currently on my third one. Several pairs of gloves depending on the weather. I like everything I have. If not, it would be tossed and replaced. Hope this helps.

HJC SymaxII helmet - I'm disappointed. This was my first modular helmet. It's noisy and hot. At $280. I expected more. Hein Gericke Timbuktu mesh jacket for hot weather - nice jacket and cheap on some websites. Do a search. Olympia AST Jacket/Ranger Pants for cooler/cold weather - I like them both. A bunch of different gloves. Olympia overgloves - I don't like to wear gloves except when it's really cold. These are good. 5.11 tactical gloves. These are cop gloves. Very soft and good feel through the gloves. I wear Ariat work boots. I hate the way touring boots look. The Ariats are not waterproof, so I got some of those Tourmaster rain over boots. I have a Fox Creek Leather jacket left over from my cruiser days. Great jacket. Thick, heavy, soft.

Helmet is a Nolan N100E that I've just started using but that I've owned for almost two years (got a deal on it just after I'd bought another new helmet so it sat in a box). Suit is a one-piece Aerostitch Roadcrafter that I've had for about 15 years. Probably have 60K miles or so on it. I've also got First Gear Mesh-tex jacket and pants that I wear occasionally; probably got 4K on the pants and 5K on the jacket. I've a pair of Matterhorn insulated 10" boots that I wear in the winter and a pair of 10" uninsulated boots for warmer weather but I've also taken to wearing some 6" Vasque hiking boots for really warm (e.g. summer) weather. Gloves are elkskin ropers that I've got about 8K on right now.

Ya know I had some big long post all made up. I clicked to submit and I went to the calendar. Now I am back and there is no post. I aint typing it again. :( 2003 Concours http://mysite.verizon.net/slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm

Helmet - Sparx S-07 - 3,000 miles, Very comfortable. Well ventilated. Some road/wind noise, but was reduced when I installed a Rifle fairing system. Customized with reflective tape. Jacket - Joe Rocket Ballistic Touring 7.0 - 3,000 miles. Very comfortable fit, but rather hot on 90+ days, even with all the vents open and velcro'd outward, but very strong material and great fit. Gloves - First Gear Gel Palms - 3,000 miles, Not the most comfortable for long rides, may also be the "buzz" that gets to me after an hour or so on the bike. I will be trying something new next year, but no defects to complain about, just don't fit me correctly. Boots - 1989 circa Corcoran Field Combat Boots - Five resoles in 19 years, 3,000+ Road march miles, 3,000 miles riding, Most comfortable boots I have ever owned both for walking and riding. Pants - still using the old Jeans, but after reading up on the Bionic Knees may be giving those a try next season. 04 Concours (Fenris) (mostly stock)

Helmet-I have an AGV_XR2 full face Helmet. Runs a size samll.Best helmet I have ever owned. Jacket- AGV Sport Leather & Mesh combo w/Armour & waterproof liner. Very happy with this item. Gloves- AlpineStars SP2's- They run a size small but the quality is great. Jean-Levis. Boots Dr.Martens.

Start at the top... Nolan N-102. Have about 14k miles on it. Not impressed. Had some issues with the hinge going out of alignment, exterior sunshade contacts the clear shield eventually leaving a scratched-in line. :( Going to try an HJC Symax II next.UPDATE...Got that Symax 2 and I'm very pleased with it so far. Only nitpick, sunscreen could be slightly darker. Maybe they make a darker replacement? Aerostitch Roadcrafter 2 piece. Probably have about 40k?/7 years on it now. Does it all. Reasonably waterproof, reasonably cool in hot weather (when moving, that is). Crash tested one unfortunately and walked away with some bruises, it works. Made in USA but not cheap. Think of it as a long term investment, mine's just getting broken in (the new one that is) Gloves- Fieldsheer unlined gauntlets (don't remember the name) for general riding. Rev it mesh armored gloves for the hot stuff, work pretty darn well and still have good protection. Tourmaster winter elites for the cold stuff (would still get cold hands in the really cold stuff, invested in heated grips..problem solved! :)) UPDATE: Bought some Lee Parks Deersports with Outlast phase change material. It really seems to work well. Distributes heat nicely from the grips and very comfortable. Boots- Gaerne waterproof boots (again don't remember the model). Waterproof liner has bitten the dust, the tootsies are wet if in a protracted gully washer. Thinking about the new Sidis or Oxtar (or whatever they're called now :p) Cold weather-Gerbings heated liner with electronic thermostat. Indispensible. Had an Aerostich Unobtainium vest for years and was happy but the heated arms make a huge difference on my FZ-1 due to limited wind protection. Terry Faherty COG #792 AMA #526406 NYC Metro AAD and chief bottle washer Bikes may change but a COGer forever!

Guess I am the cheapskate of the bunch. From top to bottom Helmet: HJC SyMaxII modular helmet. Like it alot! Cold Weather Jacket: Leather 3/4 length, well padded, no armor. Better than nothing. Warm Weather Jacket: light weight leather jacket. barely better than nothing Gloves: Goat skin work gloves on warm days, insulated leather work gloves on cold days. I have worn purpose built biker gloves, in my opinion... they are not any better than regular old work gloves. Winter Suit: Carhart insulated overalls, well padded, no armor. I can slip this on over my slacks and look like a farmer riding to work, gets me lots of smiles from motorists. Boots: Redwing steel-toe, lace ups, or old MX boots if it is really cold, or the redwings are wet. saving up for a roadcrafter suit. last kid starting college next year, she is doing a good job of taking care of any disposable income! LK