• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Longest Day Ride

I'm on for June 15 for the north cascade loop, I have a late start of 8-9. Check your calendar. Lunch in Chelan. Going over north on hiway 20 first then returning on Stevens. Last year it was a bikewash, hopefully I'll have to use the hose when I get home this time.

I'm planning on having SP Cycle Barn do the brake pedal recall the day before, then riding over the North Cascades with you since I'll be staying at SP with friends. Might do lunch in Chelan but its 25 miles from home the wrong way. I'll pack bikewash gear. 

Thinking about it, if you want to go 12 miles total (6 miles to and 6 miles from SR-97 and SR-153) out of your way we could do BBQ burgers and dogs at my house. We could even make Charlie pay for it maybe. Chelan would have a nicer view though if the weather is nice.

Interesting, I'll let Charlie respond. We usually have lunch at Campbell's. Being a long ride, anything would have to be on the short side. I get some riders that want to be back by 6 or so, this ride takes longer without Loop-Loop and a couple of extra side roads. I'm not adding much since the late start, not Tonasket, Curlew, Republic, Cache Creek, and Bonneville. That was an 800 miler I did, got home at 11. I'll keep it about 450 or so this time. Keep it on the backburner though for a little while, I'm fine with that.

Back burner it is. I know to avoid all of those extra places, you have to come down 153 from Twisp which isn't to bad of a road either. I'm 6 miles north of Pateros where 153 runs into 97.

Cache Creek? It's been a couple of years now since I've been on it and can't count the number of times I've ran it.

Campbell's will have the better view. Heck, I might have to go that extra 25 miles myself. I also understand your ride is a long one and is why I would jump off at Pateros. 

Perhaps my knees and butt are wimps, but I have a hard time doing much over 350 miles in a day.  800 would likely kill me. :)

That's why I'm doing the geezer version, too many gray hairs. I'll keep the pace moving, provided the revenuers stay on I-5.

I cannot comment on my participation until I get my employment situation sorted out.  I may be working someplace else in a couple of weeks.  I should know more after today.

Charlie, Sorry to hear this. Course it could be a good thing too. You'll be in my thoughts for it to work out in your favor. Tim

Start a sunday ride thread, some have both days off. Brunch day run. I know others that have midweek rides. Or a good weather, kickstands up thread. Memorial Day(if it doesn't rain). Any good vehicle shows, one group went to an annual truck show at a plant in Burlington, Peterbilt? been a while.

If you believe it, forecast for Saturday is good. The Connie is not running well again, maybe j-box. I will be on the silver FZ-1. Time for a new ride, maybe over the winter. Haven't decided on what yet, a lot of new(expensive) adventure bikes. I'll wait until the MC show. I'm doing the short(450 mile) version. The roads are in good condition though, I have already ridden it in reverse twice.

I hope you can make it.  It would be quite the bonus if your new camera got some footage of people play follow the leader on the North Cascades Hwy.

I had a good time, everyone was on their game. I think I found the middle ground on the pace. It is a long ride. I think you're faster on the old Connie than a new FJR. My 95 is a smoother ride on a long ride than the FZ-1. If the weather holds on a sunday, we could some roads north to Sumas for brunch. It would be half the distance. Sort of an impromptu thing. I may look at vintage cars in downtown Issaquah today an give the body some exercise today. Check out www.backfiremoto.com See you on the next one.

Charlie_Gary_NWAD said:
I had a good time.  Thanks for leading, Roland.  :You_Rock_Emoticon:

I agree with Charlie. Was a good time. I enjoyed passing the group of Harleys at Mach 1 who were making all sorts of obnoxious racket. (I ride with the ALR too. Non of the guys I ride with who ride Harleys never have made the amount of racket these guys were making)

FYI, The friend I was trying to go see in Tacoma who is on his way back to Alaska was ordered by his wife to come to my house. Sure makes it a little simpler for me. We met while stationed at China Lake, CA back in the early 80's. Our kids were little, some not born yet. Our wives were good friends too.

it's a good thing we didn't do it on Sunday...I drove my Lexus over Stevens on Sunday and got hit by wicked thunderstorms at just the same time we crossed over on Saturday, the storms started on the east sie of the pass and were  off and on again all the way home, had one lightning strike a few hundred yards ahead of me on the Ben Howard road (FLASH/BOOM all combined)...drenched would have been an understatement!

My friend John, got a wash job on his way over. He was pulling a sweet 36 Oldsmobile Business Coupe on a trailer. Still had the OEM interior, OEM hubcaps with a straight 8 and 3 speed on the tree.   

Great day. Shock lost its gas on the way back, bike was bouncing passing traffic. We didn't do it last year but have been riding to Wings and Wheels on the first Saturday in October. We were meeting at Snoqualmie then over Blewett. The way back was BBQ in Cashmere and over Stevens. Maybe this year.

If I put it on the calendar there might be a few more people showing up. Hmmmmm............