• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Looking for Boot recommendations

JPinNC

Mini Bike
Hey all. New to my Concours 14 and looking for some boot recommendations. I don't really want a "race" boot, but I don't want a "harley" type boot either. Riding in sneakers make me nervous...

Suggestions?

JeffP said:
Hey all. New to my Concours 14 and looking for some boot recommendations. I don't really want a "race" boot, but I don't want a "harley" type boot either. Riding in sneakers make me nervous...

Suggestions?

I like a full height touring boot and I've used ones from Alpine Stars and Sidi.  Others have had a good experience with Oxtar.

I wear the harness type Harley brand boots and they work well for riding but are awfull for walking but hey...I own a connie not a Harley so I won't be walking much anyway  :rotflmao:

I still use Sidi Way Rain boots when I know its going to be wet, and Sidi Cobra Air boots when I know its going to be hot.

Someday I'm going to get a non-Air non-Rain boot, but so far the budget has gone to other stuff.

I use three types of boots. I use Red Wing loggers (work boots) when going to work or in cold weather. They are good for just about any riding and give me extra reach to the ground. But they can be a little heavy in the hot weather. Although they do work fine.

I use Oxtar Jupiter (now TCX) boots in the hot weather. These are really light weight and cool on your feet boots. Although I don't use them in the cold weather. They probably wouldn't be that warm when it's cold out.

And I just bought a pair of Tourmaster Solutions boots that I will be using for all around and travel. So far I like them. Although I haven't tried out the Solution boots in the wet yet. Although reviews all gave them good reviews.

And best of all,  All of these boots are water proof.

I bought a pair of Alpine Stars FastLane shoes a few weeks back. Great ventilation, good traction (even though it looks like a smooth sole - it's not), and great fit.  I also just ordered 2 days ago the Alpine Stars One on One boots.  I think they'll be my "everyday" shoes - I can wear them to work, and they're comfortable to walk around in all day.

The Fastlanes are great, but no real heel on them, so I consider it more of a riding shoe rather than an everyday shoe.

I like Motorcycle Superstore as they're great on returns and will match lowest prices.

I like my Alpinestars, but I don't remember the model. They're waterproof and quite stiff for a long time, but now, they're about as comfortable as my Vasque hiking boots. I can wear them all day. Hot in the summer, but there's a reason for that.

Actually, at Big5 I buy tactical boots with zippers and love them. For $35, you can't beat it.

For actual motorcycle boots, Revzilla has some great video reviews online.

I wear a pair of Milwaukee harness boots like the Harley riders wear.  Zip up the back makes them very easy to get off and on.  When it's pouring down rain (or when I'm on tour) I wear a pair of Alpinestars waterproof boots which I got on sale as "last year's model" a few years back.  They only get occasional wear, so they're still in great shape.

I found Skechers boots to work for me.  Comfortable enough to wear off and on the bike.

Skechers 61200 BLK - Men's Verstal Villous - Biker Boots
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Skechers-61200-BLK-Mens-Verstal-Villous-Biker-Boots-BRAND-NEW-/120830911704
$(KGrHqNHJDME63ZMVB1cBO7Sv7uSYg~~60_57.JPG

I have 2 pairs. One is a police "swat" type boot, very light, sneaker like sole, about 9" tall for good ankle protection. Warm for the winter. My other pair is s Icon Tarmac mesh boots. These are more like a high top sneaker/hiking boot. Very comfortable both on and off the bike.

Thanks for all the comments guys. I ended up ordering a pair of TCX X-Cube boots at Revzilla. Looking forward to trying them out.

I've been riding dirt for a long time and know first hand the difference a quality boot will do for ya.

I bought the Icon Accelerant boots mostly because they were waterproof.  I like them so much, they are the only boot I use now, and they are not hot at all during long summer rides, and have adequate ventilation.  I put Bungee Laces on them, which makes it simple to pull on and off, and the straps add crash protection and makes sure they stay on.  They are very comfortable to walk around in.  If you are planning a multi-day ride with any chance of rain, these do a nice job.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/36/16961/ITEM/Icon-Accelerant-Waterproof-Boots.aspx

I wear the Sidi Strada sport touring boots... just wish I'd have had them on when I had my recent wreck.  The one piece of my ATGATT that was missing... I'd just hopped on the bike (boots right there) to test it for a minute.  Had the ret of the gear on.  Probably wouldn;t have a broken foot had I had the boots on.  :-[

A cowboy or harness type boot offers little protection.  Better than a tennis shoe, way better than a flip flop, but motorcycle purposed footwear is still way ahead of the rest at keeping your tootsies safe.  It ain;t cheap, but what I'm paying for my current stainless steel and titanium footwear is MUCH higher.

Well, I've been looking for years for a good summer boot, haven't found it yet. What peeves me a lot is the boot manufacturers DO NOT list widths for their boots. I had W-I-D-E feet and most boots are canoe shaped.

I do not need them to be water proof, they must breath. My feet get really hot with any shoe/boot (I wear sandals all the time winter or summer) so any riding boot needs to be heavily meshed.

I also prefer zipper closures with lace adjustments. Allow me to lace the boot to my comfort level then use the zipper for putting them on or taking them off.

I have not found a boot that is wide enough and has these features, looked at a ton of them, mail ordered then returned been to many cycle shops and I've struck out completely. I have on old nearly worn out pair of HD Presidents that fit perfectly, lightweight, zipper enclosure, lace. The new versions of these are too stiff.

Dan