• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Looking for new fork tubes

Zig

Big Wheel
I followed the 3 links from my other post "best place to find parts". No luck on finding new fork tubes for my '92 ZG-1000. Any other suggestions?

Are you saying that you can't find the part or that they are too expensive?  Ron Ayers has them listed, part number 44013-1254, for $236 each, though for that price I would recommend buying some good used ones.  Here's the diagram on Ron Ayers

http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeID/26/Type/Motorcycle/MakeID/3/Make/Kawasaki/YearID/33/Year/1992/ModelID/3622/Model/Concours/GroupID/106797/Group/Front_Fork%28ZG1000-A7_A8%29

As mentioned in your other thread, you may just need to polish the ones you have, and/ or replace the bushings along with the seals.  Worn bushings can result in leaking seals.

HTH,

Ah, thanks Gary! I couldn't find  the part #. I feel a little better now just knowing that I CAN get new ones. I have already been a few rounds with my local Kawasaki dealer. I took it in because the left seal was leaking. I got it back and it was STILL leaking. Then they said my fork tubes were scratched and they couldn't get new ones for a bike as old as mine. They supposedly got a used set from Ebay. When I went to pick it up the 2nd time, they had broken my left mirror bracket off, scratched my windshield & side plate and dented my gas tank. They did replace my windshield & mirror and fix my tank and sideplate, but a few weeks later my RIGHT seal is pouring oil out much worse than the left one did before they fixed it. I'm afraid to take it back there after everything I've been through with them. I guess I need to find a good mechanic who can tell me if it IS actually the fork tubes. I don't have the tools to do this. I don't know how to tell whether it's the bushings or the tubes....or just a botched repair from the dealer.

By the way, that's Mancuso Power Sports in North Houston TX.

Sorry to hear about your experience with the dealer, it sounds like a good idea to cut your losses with them.  I know there are some COG members in the Houston area, maybe one of them could help you with the job.  If that doesn't work out, perhaps someone could recommend a better place to get the work done.  Having replaced a few fork seals myself, I can say that it is easier than it looks, and can be done with common tools and a couple that can be made easily.  Here's an article on how to do it, to see if you might want to try:

http://www.motorcycle.com/how-to/how-to-replace-fork-seals-3442.html

HTH,

ZigZag:  If you decide you don't like or want to do business with a dealer I've had good service from Forking by Frank in the Chicago area.  Not related to, employed by or affiliated with them in any way, just a satisfied customer.  Here's their website  www.frankmain.qpg.com/

Thanks again to everyone who has responded. I got a call from the dealership today. After talking with the service mgr., I decided to let them try one more time. I hope I don't end up regretting this....