• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

look'n for more Torque

jeff413

Tricycle
Just purchased a '03 Connie & have been look'n @ possible engine / timing advances . . My question is ~~ Would a 4degree timing advance or exhaust cam sprocket be a better choice for increasing low & mid range TQ & better roll-on performance

Jeff, Don't think I can answer your question but... Wondering if you are interested in attending the May 1st Tech Session in Monson, MA? I know of at least one person who has installed the exhaust cam sprocket mod and could comment on the difference. Details on the Tech Session are on the Calendar. Greg H from Mass, Connie Droppers Anonymous Awards Dude COG# 7010,a Tracey CDA 120 (2.0) 99 Connie "Herrin Christabelle", 05 Ninja 250
2211123920053849446TvPbOP_th.jpg
6n2c6z

Jeff - the difference btween the sprocket and advancing the timing is that the sprocket actually helps trap a stronger cylinder charge by cutting the cam's overlap period, whereas the timing advance increases the timing 4* everywhere, which on the connie isn't a good thing when operated in a torque fashion (low rpm) as detonation can result. I'd also like to mention I'm just about done with my newest jet kit - the "2 minute mod kit" it involves blocking 50% of the intake and rejetting the carbs. the power is immediate and very noticeable. Nothing like you'ld ever expect from just a jet kit. I'm gathering components kits now, so soon, very soon... Steve

Sounds to me it would be a great ride and info gathering time . . We'll out it on my calender . . Is it all about connies ??

Was thinking that by advancing all timing would not be as good for the motor with available pump gas . . Liking the exhaust sprocket idea /0*^0

Howdy Steve Thanks for the info on the exhaust sprocket . . But now should I purchase the jet kit you are offering with the sprocket or wait and go for the the 2min mod w/jet kit & sprocket seperately ? How would each effect the way my power would track . . I really like "seat of the pants feel" but don't want the back tire breaking lose in i.e. 90 degree departures from an intersection / parking lot etc. ~~ Jeff

Steve, you try the stick coils yet? How do they go with the Jet Kit / Sprocket / 2-min Mod, in YOUR experience. Thanks. 2003 Concours, 58K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://home.comcast.net/~slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

Jeff, Correct, the MA Tech Session is all about Connies. We've got 3 valve adjustments lined up, tire changes, tip-over bars, brake pads/fluids. Come join us, always a good time. Greg H from Mass, Connie Droppers Anonymous Awards Dude COG# 7010,a Tracey CDA 120 (2.0) 99 Connie "Herrin Christabelle", 05 Ninja 250
6n2c6z

Sounds like I could learn a lot . . Where do I find more info on the gathering ? Time ~ address etc . . . :)

Member area calendar has almost all scheduled events for each area "If it hasn't killed me yet, it's runnin out of time" COG # 8062 AMA # 1084053 ROMA or Scarlet harlot acording to my wife

Gee Greg, I was going to ask if you wanted to try a valve adjustment on an opposed twin this year. :p Bob

Nice one Bob! Greg H from Mass, Connie Droppers Anonymous Awards Dude COG# 7010,a Tracey CDA 120 (2.0) 99 Connie "Herrin Christabelle", 05 Ninja 250
6n2c6z

Jeff, Check out the Northeast Calendar on the Home page Here's the event listing: http://www.cog-online.org/clubportal/EventDetail.cfm?clubID=1328&EventID=110447&mo=5&tDate=%7Bd%20%272010%2D05%2D16%27%7D Contact me if you are interested in doing work and/or learning on your bike. Greg H from Mass, Connie Droppers Anonymous Awards Dude COG# 7010,a Tracey CDA 120 (2.0) 99 Connie "Herrin Christabelle", 05 Ninja 250
6n2c6z