• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Loose Saddle Bag Bolts

tundra tom

T-clocking the C-14 for a long trip, going through various fasteners I found the 8 acorn nuts that hold the hinge inside the saddle bag VERY loose. Also check the phillips screws that hold the latch assembly from the inside, not real tight either. This will go on the PM as I've tightened these before.
Good news, the header bolts were still tight after one tweaking long ago.

Acorn nuts? Mine were riveted on both sides of the hinge! It made for a real pain changing the lid after it fell over!

Most of mine were loose too.  I only noticed because one completely fell out and was laying at the bottom of the saddlebag as I was packing for a 1700 mile trip.  I was going to post this up too however you're quicker than I am.

I guess I have one of the early designs? I purchased my 2008 in 2007.
Loctite is my friend. ;D

DSC03759.jpg

I purchased my C14 the beginning of July 2007. I think it qualifies as one of the early bikes. It only had rivets. Go figure!  ???

My 2010 has rivets on the outer (lid) side of the hinge, and bolts w/ nuts on the inner side.  Perhaps it's a 2010 and newer thing, or it's just what ever the factory had on hand when they assembled them.

This is really kind of weird how some bikes have rivets and some have nuts and bolts. They must use different suppliers with slightly different contracts. How else could this be explained. Were looking at the difference in too many year bikes!

Did you buy your bike new? If so, maybe the previous owner dropped it and replaced the saddle bag lid and used screws instead of rivets.

Survey time?

Mine: '10 Calif. model purchased new (in TX.) rivets through backing plate on outer case half, acorn nuts on inner case half.

I'm pretty sure that the INSIDE part of the hinge on ALL C14's have acorn nuts on them, because you can't access the outer side of the screws when the bag is closed, as that part of the hinge is inaccessible. The screws are built into the hinge assy and come with it when you order it.

It is the OUTER half of the hinge that should have rivets on it, because it is exposed when the bag is closed.  It's a theft deterrent so a thief can't simply unscrew the hinge bolts. Not that anyone would probably ever try to.

http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeID/26/Type/Accessory/MakeID/3/Make/Kawasaki/YearID/51/Year/2010/ModelID/8479/Model/Concours_14_ABS_%28ZG1400-CAF%29/GroupID/409428/Group/Accessory

92210-0434 NUT,CAP,4MM

92039A 92039-0072 RIVET