• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Loud pipes for safety; an anecdote

tlr-boise

Anecdote for you all:

I don't generally believe that loud pipes are a safety feature.  Others do, however.

But, today, my wife told me about driving on the interstate, center lane, and she thought about moving right.  She looked in the mirrors, turned her head right, didn't see anything, but she thought she heard a motorcycle.  No radio on, no distractions, just cruising along.  She couldn't see any motorcycle, around, but thought she heard one.  She didn't move right, but slowed, thought about putting the turn signals on, and in a few seconds, a motorcyclist appeared beside her on her right.

He had been cruising along in her blind spot for a while.  He slowly passed her.  Young guy, no helmet, cruiser bike with loud pipes, no ATGATT, etc.

Her car is a 2005 Honda Accord sedan.  Has a HUGE blind spot, as do many newer cars.  Some cars are like sitting in a tunnel;  forget about seeing things off your right rear.

Anyway, my wife told me she wants me to be careful out there, essentially.  Be aware that cars like hers have blind spots.

Motorcycle safety course I took here emphasized "split the danger" and be aware to not sit in a car's blinds spots.  Motorcycle Consumer News once had a story about a motorcycle racer who felt in much more danger on city streets than on the race course, and he always rode in his head, "Blind spots, blinds spots, blind spots."  and was most conscious of staying out of them.

So, the mantra I keep in my head often while riding, is, "Split the danger, blind spots."

Fyi, split the danger means to look ahead and ID possible sources of danger, and stay as far away from them as you can;  meaning position yourself to the right of a lane or left, as the dangers come toward you.  Might be telephone poles on the right, might be cars on the left;  whatever you don't want to hit or to hit you.

For me, "Split the danger., blind spots" in my head is a useful trick to keep my awareness up.

Just fyi.

I am happy your wife had the presence of mind to reCOGnize there was a riderr in her blind spot. All riders (everyone for that matter) needs to understand that if you cannot see the driver in their mirror then they cannot see you. And passing on the right can get you killed.  I regularly tow a 34' trailer with a Ford diesel duelly extra cab (full of motorcycles) and I am amazed at the number of vehicles that ride directly behind me in the "NO ZONE", let alone those who insist on passing me at 1 mph faster than I am going!  They fail to understand on so many levels how dangerous this is.  There is no excuse for riding in another vehicles blind spot.

I guess I need to find a shirt that says "I have loud pipes AND I know how to ride....what have you got to say now?"

Offending people is never the answer!

Sport Rider said:
I guess I need to find a shirt that says "I have loud pipes AND I know how to ride....what have you got to say now?"

Offending people is never the answer!

I can airbrush one! :))