• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Low fuel warning?

FTB530

Has anyone found ou how many miles (est) you can go before W?
I don't intend to find out just curious in case i find my self in that position'

Of course it is different for folks depending on the riding conditions and type of riding your doing. My 08 C14 would go about 200 miles before the warning totally took over the dash display. Sometimes a bit more if warm and on the highway. The newer bikes probably go farther with the economy mode.

I normally tried to fill up long before the warning would come on since I normally would need a break before it came on. 

When my Low Fuel Warning came on - I then rode a few miles to a gas station and filled it up with 4.9 gallons.

So IF it really holds 5.8 gallons then I had .9 gallons left.  I believe I was averaging around 44 mpg at that time so
in theory I could have gone maybe close to 40 more miles.

But this is all subject to how YOU ride.  There are no hard and fast rules about how far you can go after the Warning shows up.
To many variables enter into the math involved to answer that question.

So in a nut shell I would figure 240-250 miles range in perfect conditions.
I would be really worried though if I was over 225 miles without a gas station near by UNLESS I had extra fuel in a saddlebag
which is something I'm going to do this year - get a 20oz or 30oz container a put one in a saddlebag.  Just for "what if I run out" situations.  ;D

Hope that helps some.

Of course in a perfect world you would get gas before the low fuel warning came on.

I don't live in a perfect world as I have added the Low Fuel Eliminator to my bike - so that the Low Fuel Warning will never show up.
The range function still works thought and that I will not test below 10-12 miles of range left just in case it lies about the range left.  :)

I don't plan on pushing my luck, but the warning came on after my second ride and I just parked it,she has been parked over a week, dang rain,but now I know how to end a drought in California,buy a new bike.

Sailor_chic said:
Here is the link for the fuel eliminator. It's the best farkle.

http://www.incontrolne.com/

Best farkle?

Really?

I wonder why I don't get it . . . but it's nice that there is at least one accessory for this bike I don't want(!)

FTB - when the fuel warning comes on you can hit the top dash button, then while keeping it pressed, hit the bottom dash button. It gets your dash info back and turns on a warning light until you fuel up. Unless you buy the thing that disables the fuel light this might help you out.

:beerchug:

I want to thank everyone for the responses, I know I have been asking alot of questions,the warning doesnt bother me(yet) ,first tank of gas,I was more curious if anyone had ran their c14 empty and how many miles after the warning.

soonerone said:
Sailor_chic said:

One of the best, and I concur...

Those of you that have it never tell people about how to deal with the warning light - just how to order the thingie - come on now - I loved learning the trick and it works on all the other warnings that BDF doesn't sell a thingie for. It's the little tricks we share that make this forum great. Sure, order the thing, but until then  . . . . . And again, any warning starts flashing, you can hit those buttons. Worst one for me was when I was a few weeks away from home with the 'low tire pressure sensor battery' warning flashing . . . I got really good at hitting those buttons :-[

Fais said:
soonerone said:
Sailor_chic said:

Those of you that have it never tell people about how to deal with the warning light - just how to order the thingie - come on now - I loved learning the trick and it works on all the other warnings that BDF doesn't sell a thingie for. It's the little tricks we share that make this forum great. Sure, order the thing, but until then  . . . . . And again, any warning starts flashing, you can hit those buttons. Worst one for me was when I was a few weeks away from home with the 'low tire pressure sensor battery' warning flashing . . . I got really good at hitting those buttons :-[
Yes it is that good !. Why have to mess with hitting buttons. After hitting the buttons the warning DOES go away but you loose the fuel/miles you empty read out. With the "thingie" I don't worry about anything & can "stretch" my tank if need be & not worry about guessing how far I can go till I run out of gas. It now operates how I think Kawasaki should of made it from the beginning "pun not intended" 

Zarticus said:
Fais said:
soonerone said:
Sailor_chic said:

Yes it is that good !. Why have to mess with hitting buttons. After hitting the buttons the warning DOES go away but you loose the fuel/miles you empty read out. With the "thingie" I don't worry about anything & can "stretch" my tank if need be & not worry about guessing how far I can go till I run out of gas. It now operates how I think Kawasaki should of made it from the beginning "pun not intended"

Zarticus, thank you, and well said.

UNTIL THE NEW GUY GETS ONE THERE IS USEFUL INFO ABOUT THE BUTTONS - AS I MENTIONED IT HELPED ME A LOT WHEN MY TPS SENSORS WERE DYING. IS THERE A THINGIE FOR THAT?

ALSO WORKS FOR LOW BATTERIES AND OTHER WARNINGS

I'LL STAY OUT OF IT - GEEZ -  :-[ :truce: :-\

THANKS SAMMIE TIMMONS FOR TEACHING ME HOW TO HIT THE BUTTONS. I HOPE YOU GOT A THINGIE RIGHT AWAY :great:

Fais said:
UNTIL THE NEW GUY GETS ONE THERE IS USEFUL INFO ABOUT THE BUTTONS - AS I MENTIONED IT HELPED ME A LOT WHEN MY TPS SENSORS WERE DYING. IS THERE A THINGIE FOR THAT?

THANKS SAMMIE TIMMONS FOR TEACHING ME HOW TO HIT THE BUTTONS. I HOPE YOU GOT A THINGIE RIGHT AWAY :great:
Okay, We get that you don't like the fuel dongle. To each their own, I'm glad I have it but it's my choice. As far as the '"Secret button combo push" You don't need a decoder ring, It's written clearly in the owners manual. All is good brother  :beerchug:

HAHAHAHA - I don't have any problem with the fuel thing! I just think it's nice to share the info that could get a person through a blinking dash until their fuel thingie came in the mail. AND that the buttons work on other things than fuel. But now I'm repeating myself so many times I feel stoopid.

Might be the cold wet brain - rode in hours of it today - peace y'all.

Well... to answer Floyd's original question, it is best to figure out your tank characteristics yourself. The book says reserve after the idiot light comes on is 1.1 gal., butt.... Some of us have seen less. I know from my own testing my reserve is ~0.8 gal. I also know that when I get the warning light, I can go ~35 miles if I slow and smooth my throttle inputs, and reduce my speed.

As for the fuel warning eliminator, I probably shouldn't say anything, but having had one, I think my opinion based on my experience is valid. Like I told Brian, it's a good product, but limited in it's functionality. In other words, it's a one trick pony. If your riding is mainly on the long, straight, flat roads in Florida, or the plains states, or... it works great. But in my case, most of my riding is in the Santa Cruz Mtns, Diablo Mtns, Sierra's, and other mountains around where I live. On those roads, where I am on and off the throttle going through curves and up and down grades, the range left was bouncing between like 5 miles and over 90. I was left depending on noticing when the tiny bottom lcd rectangle in the fuel gage started blinking to know when I was into reserve. Uhh, excuse me, but I'm too busy negotiating curves, watching for deer and other hazards, and in general being a hooligan on mountain roads to be looking for a tiny lcd rectangle to start blinking. Basically riding by sight, sound and feel, and completely ignoring the dash.

The only time I found it handy was when I was crossing southern Nevada and knew I had to go 224 miles between gas stops. But even then, I was running the numbers in my head and not really trusting it.

I'll take the warning light any day. The computer averages out the swings in gas level vs gas consumption and is pretty consistent with triggering the warning.

But to each their own.  :beerchug:

I thought the little rectangle didn't blink if you use the eliminator? If it still does I'm so having one.

I don't like the way the warnings take over the whole display. Yes I know the secret handshake button trick and I do that with one finger. Use a knuckle to press the top one. What I miss is the range function. Pressing the buttons won't bring that back and an over exuberant throttle hand can trigger it way before it should. Like, I normally expect to see it with 50km left. The other day it said 90km, LOW FUEL LOW FUEL LOW FUEL! I really wish it wouldn't shout at me.

Fais said:

Quit shouting.  ::)

I've gone 41 miles after the warning pops up. For myself, I wouldn't bet on more than that.

I don't plan on pushing the milage to find out ,inhave a strong aversion to walking. Thanks again,I dont plan on doing manybof these mods,riser and canyoncages  and loeer pegs for now, maybe THE FLASH later.

Daisy said:
I thought the little rectangle didn't blink if you use the eliminator? If it still does I'm so having one.

I don't like the way the warnings take over the whole display. .... What I miss is the range function.

IIRC, yes, the bottom rectangle does blink as normal. The warning eliminator has no effect on the lcd bar graph.

Range function - that was my only complaint with the unit. The only time you will get anything close to a reliable range display when down to the last gallon (~3.7iter) is when you are riding with steady throttle on straight, flat roads. Any other conditions - on/off throttle, hills, etc. - will have the display changing way too much. You'll look down and see 90km's. Next time you look it's 5km's. Look again and it is 58km's.  What are you supposed to believe?  90km's, 58km's... OK you haven't hit reserve. 5km's! You are way deep into reserve. Or are you? When will you be walking? About then panic sets in because....  you    just    don't    know. 

The device works as advertised. I just couldn't live with that erratic range display.

WHen I first got my 2013, has CS-1 pipe but no flash, I put my 1 gallon can in a saddle bag and rode it till it died with reserve flashing. 40 miles at 50 MPH avg. After flash, on a particularly desolate stretch of WA 14, where my one gas stop chance was closed, I made it a very nervous 47 miles at a very conservative speed but still fast enough to not be run over by semis, (about 65), and when I filled up I took 5.65 gallons. YMMV. Now when I see the light start flashing regardless of speed (OK, under 100) I just figure I have 40 miles before Sidi power kicks in.

One thing I miss from my C10 is that huge fuel tank. Never the first to stop for gas on a ride, always able to go a few more to the next stop. But....though both C10's were great bikes, that's about all I miss!

One thing I miss from my C10 is that huge fuel tank. Never the first to stop for gas on a ride, always able to go a few more to the next stop. But....though both C10's were great bikes, that's about all I miss!
Totally miss that 7+ gal tank!

I used the reset button sequence to not have to look at the TPMS front low pressure warning. You know the one that once it warms up starts working. Each time I stop at a light though the tire would cool down and it would alert all over again. The Red light that replaces it is pretty annoying, but I place these tinted appliques over them that are made just the purpose of dulling bright LEDs on devices. Have several of them on the instruments and they are helpful. Here is a link for those interested...

Called Light Dims: They sell a full set of different types or you can get just a sheet...Click View attachment 34863on the image or copy and paste below...

Cheers!

Gilbysan, aka - Fat Ninja

Best farkle?

Really?

I wonder why I don't get it . . . but it's nice that there is at least one accessory for this bike I don't want(!)

FTB - when the fuel warning comes on you can hit the top dash button, then while keeping it pressed, hit the bottom dash button. It gets your dash info back and turns on a warning light until you fuel up. Unless you buy the thing that disables the fuel light this might help you out.

:beerchug:
What? I did NOT know that. Is that info in the owners manual? Great info . Thanks.