• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

lowering my 86

cecil281

Big Wheel
        so after buy this wonderful machine i discover that at 5ft=7in i'm just a little short in the leg dept.

so the ? is can the bike be lowered without spending a fortune????

Short answer is yes.  Longer answer is it involves changing the linkage on the rear shock.  A couple of options are available.  One uses a different length of "dog bones", my son used this one, but changed back to stock when he went to the 4-1 exhaust due to ground clearance.  The other changes the link itself.  I believe both are available on EBay.  That's where he got his.
Before doing it though, you might check on different tires or the seat itself.

I found the newer seat is slightly narrower thus making it easier to reach the ground.  Also I noticed a big difference between the Met 880s and the Bridgestone BT45vs when I changed tires 2 years ago.
You may be able to find a 94-06 seat to "try out" in your neighborhood.  Many have gone to custom seats and might have a stock-er you could test ride.  All the hardware is the same 86-06.

Some of the members use a lowering link that is built by someone who is in the club. (I forget who the builder is, but his name can be located)
The lowering link is avaiable in multiple sizes.
Just remembered: Steve Sefsick has one of the Lowering Links. He can give you the name of the manufacturer.

Ted

I am 5'7" with a 29" inseam. I can flat foot my '95.

The newer seat will help but if you adjust your suspension to get the recommended 1.25" front sag and 1" rear sag, you should be pretty close to what you want. The easiest way to get the rear sag is to try to keep the rear shock air pressure around 10-15 psi. If you are not security squad sized, that should work for you. 

I would try the above before going to the lowering links. In addition to their cost, you will also need to drop the forks to balance the handling. Lowered bikes can also have issues with the side stand being too long & the bike too upright.  HTH

"Lowered bikes can also have issues with the side stand being too long & the bike too upright."   
Larry's right about that and the center stand CAN NOT BE USED without shortening it unless you can lift all 750#s by yourself.

bigiron 16 said:
              thanks Ted i can certainly use that info

Boy you just missed a deal. I sold a complete kit to another member a couple weeks ago.  But here is the Addy for Norm Soucy,  sanleonster@gmail.com

Norm makes the center link. You can order it of virtually any drop height you wish. But I would not recommend anything lower than a 2" drop. 

You might have to lower the side stand and you WILL have to lower the center stand if you ever plan on raising the bike on the C-stand without the help of a crane!

You should also consider lowering the front forks .5" into the triple tree to "level out" the bike.

You will be closer to the ground therefore scraping pegs occurs more often!

I have a complete write up on the installation for the link, c-stand and sidestand, if you would like. Just PM me your direct email Addy.

I also have pictures of the lowered c-stand on my webshots album.  http://rides.webshots.com/album/566353769gJgdhG