• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

lowering, my experience

samh

Training Wheels
I had my shop put on lowering links today.  They also installed soupy's adjustable sidestand.

A couple of notes: 
1) It's realy lower!  I am in a much more comfortable position, and might even be able to put on a russell sport seat without needing stilts.

2) The center stand is non-functional.  I can stand on it without the bike budging an inch.

3) I rode about 100 miles on it.  I'd say the bike doesn't handle deep potholes as well after the lowering, but otherwise the handling seems unaffected. 

The only time I use the cs is airing up the tires, so I can probably live without it.  I might just take it off.  I'm surprised that noone makes an aftermarket lowered centerstand.  That would be awesome.

Anyway, hope that info helps someone.

YMMV

SH

Just curious, did you also raise the forks in the triple trees a corresponding amount to match the rear?

Fred_Harmon_TX said:
Just curious, did you also raise the forks in the triple trees a corresponding amount to match the rear?

I sure hope so. Although he didn't mention it. So it does make you wonder.

Yup, raised the forks.  We'll see how it goes, I'm liking it so far, but it's not that hard to reverse.

SH

My local dealer lowered mine using the Muzzy links... AND raised the forks as well.  I FEEL more a "part" of the bike now... if nothing else, I am more confident on the thing (esp, with bags loaded, 2 UP)....

CS is not useless, but a chore !  side stand has less angle - I just watch for parking on the downslope and I'm fine. 

And remember, when you lower, you change rake, trail, and a couple other pieces of the geometry puzzle that KHI solved so well in the ZX14 and the ZG14.

So it will not handle as well in the twisty stuff, and if you push it, you'll ground and she will spit you off.

I just put the Muzzy links on mine this morning (purchased here in C14 emporium !) and raised the fork tubes 3/4" as well. Put the adjustable sidestand on. And rode it a while.

First, it rocks to be able to put my feet flat on the ground at stops. I can't put in words how much better my riding experience is because of this simple change.

I see I will have to lower my cornering speed a little, but its not so much I can't make good pace through the mountains anymore. It will be fine, just have to roll off the throttle a little from now on.

Other than that, handling doesn't feel any different at all, because my changes were symmetrical, front to rear. Which is nice, because she is beautifully neutral and balanced - even more so than my ZX14 was.

I guess I am officially an old man biker now, I care more about my comfort and the sureness of my footing when stopping than I do about keeping the front tire scrubbed to the sidewall.

I removed the centerstand too, will take it over to my machinist friend's shop and get him to cut 2" off the height, which will make it easy to use the centerstand again.

The rear is lowered about 1-1/2" by Muzzy lowering links for the C14.

As I wrote, the front is lowered 3/4" by raising the fork tubes in the triple tree clamps 3/4".

I have the Muzzy lowering links as well.  If you want to use the center stand, roll the back tire onto a 2x4, and you should be able to get the bike up there with ease.

The biggest handling impact I have noticed is that I need to keep my feet in a proper riding position, i.e. balls of feet on the pegs, or else my toe catches the pavement in turns.

MikeK said:
I have the Muzzy lowering links as well.  If you want to use the center stand, roll the back tire onto a 2x4, and you should be able to get the bike up there with ease.

The biggest handling impact I have noticed is that I need to keep my feet in a proper riding position, i.e. balls of feet on the pegs, or else my toe catches the pavement in turns.

My toes had to be on the pegs before I lowered my bike, I dragged pegs then easily. Now I just have to slow down a little in the tight stuff, nothing else to do but slow down. Don't mind....

I'm having the centerstand cut 2" and then I don't have to haul a 2x4 around with me so I can put it on the centerstand at rallys and such.