• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

luggage screws

thanks steve. Went to my 2 favorite hardware stores and nothing was even close. I think bolts and nuts may help. I will let you know 98 Windsor Green Connie 15k COG #8566 AMA #1084059 CDA #0308

I got either a #2 or #4 machine screw to work. Probably the #4. Used lock tight and haven't had a problem. - on the trailing edge of technology

I had to replace the screws because I hit a monster of a pothole and the locking bracket on the side of the sidebag that makes it lock onto the bike. Luckily I got the locking mechanism back after it fell off and onto the road. The screws got bent to hell and I have traded some from the others to make due until I can find replacements. 98 Windsor Green Connie 17k COG #8566 AMA #1084059 CDA #0308

A long time ago I got paranoid about those latches after reading of some that came off on the highway, so I found a way to drill my bags and antlers and secure the bags with small bolts. Look at the inside of the side bag and you'll see a sheet metal doubler where the latch is mounted. Remove the antler from the bike and mount the bag on it. You will see that the triangular section on the bottom of the end of the antler lines up with that doubler. Drill through that area and through the doubler with a #10 (3/16) drill and install a self-locking bolt. Don't cinch the nut down too tight or you can crack the bag. Or, do like I did and use a full thread bolt with nut tightened down against the antler only, with the end protruding into the bag. Then drill a hole in the end of the bolt and run a cotter pin through it, so the bolt is retained in the antler and the bag is still sort of quick-release. Now you won't have to worry about that crummy latch and it also makes it a little more theft resistant. WORD OF CAUTION: If you do this, you run GREAT risk of GREAT damage if you hit something with the side bag, as it will not shear away like the stock latch might. It will likely cause you to crash big-time, but at least your bags will stay on. And, no...water will not get in. I ride in torrential Olympic Peninsula rain and mine have never leaked, and I have no type of sealer on them. If you need pics I can take some and email them to you direct.

Nosmo - I would love some pics - I think that you can PM me 98 Windsor Green Connie 17k COG #8566 AMA #1084059 CDA #0308

Pastor Andy: Too dark when I got home tonight, and had house guests. I'll try to get you some pics next day or so. Thanks for your interest.

Pastor Andy: I have a couple of pics for you of my bolt-in installation. Sent you a PM, but I don't know how to send an email through that system, and I don't have pics on a hosted website. Looks like emailing them direct to you may be the only way - ?? PM me with your email address if you want, I'll shoot them down the wires.