• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

MCN article on Crankcase Breathing

Fred H.

I know some folks have found the crankcase breather hose on the C14 nearly plugged closed with goo, and I'm starting to think this may be an item that needs to be periodically inspected.

There is a very good article in the latest issue of MCN about crankcase breathing that is worth reading, and may shed some additional light on this topic.

Hi Fred,
I saw your post before my MCN arrived and since I seem to be collecting some blow by on the inside of the lower right side of my side panel near the exhaust cutout I was very interested to read it.  Well after reading it I found it of little to no help.  First it talks about why it happens, what damage it can cause but does not speak to how to fix it.  Also the writer was quite clear that his article applied to singles, vertical twins and V twins but not triples.  So I'm confused as to how this article would apply to inline 4's, 6's; boxer twins, fours and sixes.  Please help.  Also, what are owners who are finding clogged breather tubes doing?  Of the multiple tubes exiting on the left side of the engine which one is the breather tube?
Thanks,
Norm

I agree that the MCN article probably raised more questions than it answered, but I felt it was a thought provoking article. My suspicion is that this may be just part one of a multi part article. Sometimes they do that with long articles and spread them out over a few issues, like the one on engine blueprinting.

The only good fix I know of is to install some sort of catch can to try to catch the liquid that sprays out of the breather hose so it doesn't go into the airbox, though I don't know if you could fit one on the C14. It would probably take some work. If I were making one, I'd probably put some foam opposite of the outlet hose in an attempt to catch as much as the vaporized spay as possible so it would drip down into the can as liquid. The trick would be not to restrict the air flow, but still catch the vapor spray and collect it. You want it to breath good, you just don't want the spray going into your airbox.

The best diagram I can find in the manual of the crankcase breather hose is on page 17-2 in the appendix. It is buried at the back of the engine.

The crank case breather on my VTX went to the air box, and a lot of us have fixed that by pulling the tube, plugging the air box, and simply installing a crank case breather FILTER on the end of the crank case breather tube.  The filter has an element that catches the nasty stuff and moisture, and lets the moisture dry out.