• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

brotheriam6109752

Joined up. New Connie owner. She's messed up right now, but she will get better.

Attachments

• IMG_20240326_184747.jpg
    IMG_20240326_184747.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20240325_152606.jpg
    IMG_20240325_152606.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20240326_180654.jpg
    IMG_20240326_180654.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20240326_184721.jpg
    IMG_20240326_184721.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20240326_175607.jpg
    IMG_20240326_175607.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 9
Welcome to the COGdom.
I've been following too. At this stage I think it's repairable but suspect you might have to pull the head.
If so, that's do-able.

But,,,, before you get into it too far, do a hydrolock test to be sure none of the rods are bent.
See post #5

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
It was the generous advice and the good natured Rodger that squeaked the money from me.
Glad to see you joined @brotheriam6109752!

Will look forward to seeing the next chapters of this journey. Heed the advice above, quick hydrolock test - if sticking with this engine. Depending on how much damage from valve contact that broker the adjuster arm may be more work than it’s worth. All depends on what your timeline and availability is.

Go check out the technical files and start planning what you’ll be doing next after repairing your machine.

Wayne

More of the story. Did the hydro lock test. All cylinder's at same depth when all the way recessed. Yeah me. Now to see if the valve punctured a piston. Since I'm changing the oil upon completion, can I fill the cylinder with gas? If no leaks, pump it back out? No compression gauge available. I'm an A/C tech not a motorcycle mechanic. Guess I am now. Friends and family keeping an eye on me. Waiting on the success or failure. I'm rooting for success!!!

I would advise against ever using gasoline for purposes unintended. You can get a cheap lighted bore scope for under $30 that connects to your cell phone. You can use this tool on lots of other projects.

Wayne

I ordered one from tumi. What are the chances that I avoided damage unrepairable??
In other words - “What are the chances I avoided damage not requiring more tear down” - Given the fact P/N: 12016-1126 (Rocker Arm) is broken this indicates an internal interference. Any internal strike is a reason for alarm.

Could the rocker arm have ‘sacrificed itself’ and prevented all damage to the valve head / combustion face and or the piston??? I think that would be very very lucky.

Even if there is minimal sign of contact, long term reliability / subsequent failure from loss of material stability would be my concern.

This would be an individual decisions.

BTW, Have you located the source of the metal piece you found?

You mentioned not being familiar with engine work, well this is getting you deep into it. Disassembly and reassembly will be requiring significant guidance from the factory manuals, measurements, torque specs, tooling, etc.

Where are you located?

Wayne

In other words - “What are the chances I avoided damage not requiring more tear down” - Given the fact P/N: 12016-1126 (Rocker Arm) is broken this indicates an internal interference. Any internal strike is a reason for alarm.

Could the rocker arm have ‘sacrificed itself’ and prevented all damage to the valve head / combustion face and or the piston??? I think that would be very very lucky.

Even if there is minimal sign of contact, long term reliability / subsequent failure from loss of material stability would be my concern.

This would be an individual decisions.

BTW, Have you located the source of the metal piece you found?

You mentioned not being familiar with engine work, well this is getting you deep into it. Disassembly and reassembly will be requiring significant guidance from the factory manuals, measurements, torque specs, tooling, etc.

Where are you located?

Wayne
He's close to the coast in Texas.