• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Mexico

greenie

We're on our 4th motorcycle trip in Mexico (10,000 miles so far). Warm weather, fairly favorable exchange rates, amazing roads, and competitive riding with lax traffic rule enforcement. Forget what you've heard or thought about Mexico - it's worth a try.
Near Puerto Vallarta 
cAKfRWUOhwaTsmcx6CzCNS7tTRrsUUf9LSFgLoPrQb3mK9N_G236RBFHavcnrLM6Qg2M295CVl93APAJADpLY7G2CXlZhzfEgA8f6CijCrDJx8P89-UuR07Q8g3HsqBhggyj_Lx_OuowdaF4y-RfOpA_sNLeoHEQiW3ZdZ6ZgzVxA5EVmS2qHxBZYwGziBkCrStwxxzslTGXmzNzXI2nW_PzC6faLm0ZBtaFSPjkD7LNy2jWQ3DIZfwqd2yVOa6TQOuNDUTyAYBBwZWn3cG6RS2lfMxzazaRg-4yMK8l3IBnXzhGt8OKAg19YPfdRLIH97f31trrdPe9Elz6-MXjynbMB_F34nQ97FrMpIEb-_NsqrwwyMN-l-G-ZnOLTl05N3lvZ3j5YtSK4rW0xO-Jvuo7cASutD9eBQLBGtrFC-gczM6XizZb7WI8r1oJ6-wICKn2ENyzkyAY-0CMn9Ez5hBGMNHnffkiqrJJ56GF1aL_PB7iOAkFpeEL4hadyRFPl9-Q85Jg32_yahVQRBy_cWx8DnbnmVFmfs4Jk0ndZVFME29GMFosslPdZT4OBvR_F5P7QeCq_bxzWdnUOs9sppJcU96UtOhWXGWFPtOHYo9tf2bq=w374-h249-no

William,
Many of us are VERY weary of even considering Mexico.
Ever consider doing a write-up, with pics, for the Concourier?
Might encourage some of us to consider it...
If there are areas in Mexico that are safe, it would be nice to know them.

Jorge

I wouldn't mind being warm, riding and eating fresh food right now - live it up  :motonoises: !

Jorge said:
William,
Many of us are VERY weary of even considering Mexico.
Ever consider doing a write-up, with pics, for the Concourier?
Might encourage some of us to consider it...
If there are areas in Mexico that are safe, it would be nice to know them.

Jorge

I might try to submit an article for the Concourier. It took us years to work up the courage to travel in Mexico, first with a travel trailer in 1999, did that for 7 years, and the last four times on the motorcycle. Acapulco is the only place I've been where I didn't feel very safe. The border cities are a poor example of what the country is like.
People are friendly, helpful, and kind. The news we hear in the US is pointedly negative. Honestly, the biggest danger is traffic - people drive very fast and close. It's a great way to sharpen riding skills.
Most of Americans live much closer to the border than we do in Maine - it's trailering the bike 2,500 miles to Laredo and then back again when the trip is over.

Thanks for sharing!!  I have considered a fly and ride (wife flies, I ride) to Mexico with a buddy.  I have been to Puerto Vallarta via airplane, I assume you take two days from Laredo, so where do you stay in the middle?

We're taking it a bit leisurely this trip. Laredo - Saltillo 180 miles, then to Durango, 280 miles, then Mazatlan, a fun filled 160 miles via Mexico 40 Libre, then 260 to P.V.
Tomorrow 350 to Colima.

Mama always said when you take your time you get there quicker  :great:

I'll post a pic or three on here if you want. Just email to: faisalpetro@yahoo.com

Many safe miles  :motonoises:  :beerchug:

Baja rocks! The pacific route is fully paved to Cabo. The gulf route has about 14 miles still to be paved (based on last trip) Folks are fantastic. Food and accommodations vary. So friendly. Dig it!

Most definitely stay away from the border towns.  My ex lives in El Paso and will not go to Juarez to visit her family members still living there.  Cartels suck.  Have fun, the food is awesome and so is the riding and scenery.

It took us years to get past the border towns - they got their start during prohibition and it's been downhill ever since. 

The dual sport ride to the Copper Canyon in 2000 was awesome. Destination was down to Batopilas in the canyon region.

Left US from Deming NM. Had 6 on the ride.
Remote dirt roads from Nuevo Casa Grandes  to Madera.
Stayed in hotels with secure courtyards and bikes inside. People and food was great.
Drank bottled water. Used that to brush teeth.
Agree, stay away from border towns.

danodemotoman said:
The dual sport ride to the Copper Canyon in 2000 was awesome. Destination was down to Batopilas in the canyon region.

Left US from Deming NM. Had 6 on the ride.
Remote dirt roads from Nuevo Casa Grandes  to Madera.
Stayed in hotels with secure courtyards and bikes inside. People and food was great.
Drank bottled water. Used that to brush teeth.
Agree, stay away from border towns.
And don't get ice in your cocktails. Unless them S'cubes are from purified water. Don't ask how I know.  :-[

The ice machines in the hotels all mostly use tap water - we got away with using the hotel ice for 3 years but this time it might have got us. Not terribly sick but not great either. I smell chlorine in the tap water, so they're trying. It's much better than it used to be here though. We are back to using purified ice again. The trick is to get it back to the room before it turns into a bag of purified water.

I would like to hear more about the do & don'ts of Mexico. Always wanted to ride there. Like most everyone else, I've been concerned about the dangers. Which I'm guessing is not nearly as bad as made out to be.

Kinda like reading about the horrors Kipass on this forum. What you read will scare you away, when reality it's great!

Cliff  :beerchug:

Just Cliff said:
I would like to hear more about the do & don'ts of Mexico. Always wanted to ride there. Like most everyone else, I've been concerned about the dangers. Which I'm guessing is not nearly as bad as made out to be.

Kinda like reading about the horrors Kipass on this forum. What you read will scare you away, when reality it's great!

Cliff  :beerchug:

I buy Medjet med evac insurance - not just for Mexico, but any accident 150 miles or more from home and they fly you back to the hospital of your choice - they bring the bike back too.(about $450 per year for the wife, bike and I)
Mexican liability insurance is a must too - about $200 for 6 months (2-3 weeks is rarely cheaper)
Traffic moves fast. Never change lanes assuming you're the fastest - there's usually someone getting ready to pass. Although traffic seems chaotic most drivers are very disciplined with lane position.
You'll see a strong military and police presence. Almost all the time they'll wave you past checkpoints. Most hotels will find a safe place for you to park the bike overnight - but I have never had anyone as much as touch the bike. I think Mexican Nationals are very honest people - don't confuse them with the Mexicans that come to the US and join gangs and engage in crime.
Topes - (speed bumps) are Mexico's answer to speeding tickets. There's very lax speed enforcement but the Topes need to be taken seriously. The C-10 will hit plastic and steel if you hit one too fast. Most are marked with signs and are painted - but occasionally one will be lurking in the shade of a tree.
Hope this helps...

Spent the weekend in Durango and had the bike washed and detailed for 30 pesos ($1.57). Next day, along Mexico 40 -
8kDCOE58TKUoMLVhKgnsyxO5SOy7woFPqemsSWSsA17EKfJLK3xmRr5irzglWokPGznOuwb1eBE-gEXuFHmkJ0oBRsPnT518YJ8OWuHqg7lEqGHFGRh1kZ4TrQ0Nhx3S5Ks9_avxNSXBZMbFG9BJFSldsHdNPR44EysjtuoisyREmL__PHjinCmOHdDnlpJ-cNFNNfO7RJdkNI5xkvl7YIUAElYlQp2y7Vn91vV1IF40afUChWmq385u02STPFeYn2u9L-b6vJc-GAYzGLQ_zjm3FUAb6_2VpI7NpdgeCHx5tKJddA5099Afs7WmeSFRH30sq8XbjVWJi2LYQdygvxwq2tznNCwZgNJxlgTFV12JQ618PDNUNso6HoDubDovLaqd6WuEBS0l8fbi6N82kjM9VFYv0SM8bnL93F7DF_eWcghhd0iKyerNfsKHiKZjA93Z2N8CG8E7mqFPWi-NHdDrXYYtG7zRegmRwNqaNXTQ2ARvI4SYHj3faJYDU7TqFdypr8Xivo_--etm1SlZP-3Q5bMbGL2sOr2hLdLZyHu8KMMMra1mmmNehOr97p7kjIERuGH0qVYhWa5De9zcZ11yDepvIhtW2KkJ6vqnAeabjM_OYjnm=w915-h610-no

jtleoE5RXyKehc7EZERhQytT1dn6-4UTy0Ey0AlonVgc0GRdp-4t1cALSC5J0_XF7gdc7pZeVnSJ4pD8PYByYggTaEvsWHPghEm_IzWbxBybhc_z1SEpN1QQtbC1yoLbu1aK_wVDVFZv-u_b_jtscJHYu9lzEo737Bf3M7R5Ptwn8xOEu4VVJPX_SU2nEqm2D5TN-nbIb3kUR8ogtVqUlvI0_INNV0RVwSN-0i3flzQizPdjpvct0BIYqD9XemUiQlnkeXZHfL-l2HyQv_cXATAytgBKiIE8f9FAgSHlc1nEtFaNEaMMaYONbD1mfvBevlpPUmiIi0xS1gUJ3v6iVG_SOg-97Ahz1SuLZlzTw-Vl2gU4mzQy1EN28ZnO18fzfkhCmNqxJn7g5g8IbgNhqycksYLP_H9oM-vG_4Bz4IURkg8Z38SKhpWAPQh4LFf0Xol32IZJ_Zt7RnLxE1z8XuZiiI4weFFUiDUWlrUjFJhQHNrm3I2j_fM1FqS61uCc3_QHGWqfIvCjm4r3oELu9L61ZBSvGtpiUo4iXIPe4WDjLc8VH0c_7pVDQEbM-subY9b4mYVIX-FuFSBtrKbE8WB7xT3iqnrlRN0hHbEzxxXtHR3kveg8=w915-h610-no

There are two Mexico 40's between Durango and the Pacific Ocean - the Libre (free) and the Cuota (toll) - fast and easy with 60 plus tunnels and a crazy high (1,300') suspension bridge. Mostly two lanes, the toll road trims hours off of the 130 mile ride between Durango and the coast. Despite two lanes, the breakdown lane is often demarked with a dotted fog line meaning slower traffic rides to the far right. Motorcycles reign here, passing in tunnels, and almost everywhere else.

The toll road between Durango and Villa Union (terminus at the Pacific Ocean) is a engineering feat - 60 plus tunnels and a long and high suspension bridge - 2nd highest in the world.
Na2GN6zVlUSjKRKKo-_ID1c5d8Z2lqsq9P-aqhUstiQu-A4gl1DKP-tJCnZYhlZheT1O-Q58-9k4ow-GrgWBIsRwDthsormfd9TknYcc6iJgBZ0-YsBrgPUYTIcXMFxO0vyAtxfgMaYJmMCmWcsb-2VSf5TmIeFUPFlS7IapYnfAuGsmpxLROfroouBW4OnDwxmXO83rUlwwP5bxL5vodg95_-mnTNSu9K0nXP17gBSIVajX5-wmEDzm4T7ImWlqMN8_P2NYYy4ZuMtyuE3iOPSu16xKdbOr3pHMi0I3aXHsKcuD9eGoSDf3f2JA5MbGzDbQXAAWPMjUfR82aAh1yVB4pDSuwY0FrhNwlY0YJmHAgfi2gnZExA5bk1c647C1Uj-hVBPuCk2e-ygbW0k3xEHig5I9IOwo5dzJsy8bXoZW5QMY8_QZ8ySQp9RDFmmLTpuIDB3BY9H4-wRVZwqYJhg7M_ETZwJRx2S9fCxmcn355JhjYEAr1a9qvxbemlxIhoTTUuYgOxSWanWu_cVHJpgrzrNGPvt9a_nmU14UkJmom9rOHX7psq8qvKF8-AqZmf9XFWoX-J-PGZatKwpJrks8ysQky6GaXxvSnRKNUZnkJhQhwOAK=w915-h610-no

xUsK3Qqes6zIvpdlD8St4wSp4HU04b6wm7qWG80r2epI6sZTTLEHmmOcoXO5lq-pQDqxgS3IWVruDsZSyC-9C3wIlPCYpWcFHzUeCZojxaN_nDpjWNvWjHi5ii9lP2zu5XPxf-4D3bZLxp4AMTJKIhoFvsppJmCVjvVCCnLxn_pZiQsUtvntoUJKp2xMw-rP_7bUOv1neHn4tu_0BXqxy1LVuZCfW8muaK62WAQEqnuOl9b5RHxvEc-fhEeGIttsHgfPDVVmiBN5JLZqUBdWw2BIxIHKi7xPlW28IXkZfORl-HaDkWkQ_fscwQ5idTV-5LvKT2LhQPQ6jA5H4spjJBbSYvv2YcMfdwE_M26__AvvfShC0uyXHm7gy_svqmUg87tyZ_vZCOedyuk1kMjVWEUKIripxjS9RzjDGhl3D1DwygFLKjUMqc_1Zd9Tkvm9MYPTcousnuxaAUejvZWB4D6EobpK1bDhisJxVKPrYNyFIXBtJbZOzcpqe8P9ksvKfhl3lvMcp3gm8Q3XVgzQTQwHAbrtwEeTJtzEcvqkARgIsSu_xkEgRkmJFAnzeKf6jGPkPo8PD-aZuNonzAQ2yRjxMPHHgP1vVecdo8-FVz179feu-CcL=w915-h610-no

I just saw this. I too avoided a ride to Mexico as I don't speak the language.
Always thought I would give it a try if I had someone with me that could communicate.
Is the language problem bad, or can you speak the language?

Ride safe, Ted

Whatever part of the brain that allows a person to learn other languages I was born without. I know a few words, think I do at least but can never seem to say the word right. Just the same, we get by - very well not knowing Spanish. Many Mexicans can speak english, and in those rare times when we can't communicate a bystander will help out.
We always get by very well. Numbers are tough, but most merchants/desk clerks have a calculator they will punch in the amount which I can then read. We carry pesos only, buying them at an ATM using credit union debit cards.
If the fear of not being able to communicate is keeping you from visiting Mexico - take my word for it. It won't be a problem.

Greenie - email the pics to me if you'd like me to try to post them. I(we) want to see them - the captions are great !

Keep on keepin' on  :motonoises:  :beerchug:

faisalpetro@yahoo.com

You can't see the photos? I can see them in this post. I'm using a VPN and IP changer.. maybe that's screwing things up...

Found these:) Thanks for sharing them Greenie. Keep on keepin' on  :motonoises:  :beerchug:

-

-

-

Thanks Fais!  I'm trying different settings on Google photos - if the photos show up in my previous posts please let me know. I see them just fine, so I can't tell what works and what doesn't.

I dont use Google pics but you aren't the only one having trouble with it.

Just worry about the ride and keep us posted  :great:

Have fun  :motonoises:

kdev8st

Most Mexican cities of any size have walled in motels for the purpose of trysts. Safe from the prying eyes of the wife or the wife's family, a man can drive into one of these motels and not fear anyone seeing the car or the man. Some even have a closable garage you can park a bike or two inside. These motels list very good prices, we've never tried one, but they are there, cheap and walled in.

We're back in the frozen wasteland having spent almost a month and 3,000 miles in Mexico. Great food, great roads, cold beer, great folks. No speeding tickets, no stray bullets.
Imagine a great motorcycle road here in the US - Blue Ridge Parkway, Pacific Coast Highway, Needles Highway South Dakota, or Going to the Sun in Montana. Now imagine no radar, no $500 plus speeding tickets, fairly light traffic that are mostly all also moving along at balls to the wall  speeds. Fantastic mountain or ocean views if you dare take the eyes off the road.
No ethanol either.
We met a lot of genuinely nice people, heard no disparaging words about any wall or our President either. In fact a few Mexicans if they spoke at all about the current political situation, their views were surprisingly unexpected. But I won't get political.
It's a huge investment for us to travel 2,500 miles to even start a motorcycle tour in Mexico. Staying in hotels every night, two meals a day in restaurant, it gets pricey for almost a month. But we had oceanfront rooms with balconies ($75) and ate great meals washed down with a couple of beers or Cuba Libres (rum & coke) for about $40 for two of us with tip. Try doing that in the United States.
We're getting old, but God willing we'll do it again next march.

No ethanol in the fuel and organic is the only food available. In the States 'organic' is a fancy word for 'normal unpoisoned' LOL

I've never ridden Mexico but you describe it a lot like Ecuador and S.America in general. I spent much less on lodging and eating but the rental KLR with gps and gear was $90/day. Totally worth it - i miss the wasther and food daily. Im in NYC for a few days - so grey and dirty. You have me itching para hablar en español!

Thanks for sharing and glad tou made it safely home to plan the next one  :beerchug:

Gearing up or another trip next March - this time I'm doing all the repairs and maintenance on the bike (just turned 100K) early so I can ride it before winter closes in. In the past I did repairs in the winter and had to hope everything was good since riding in Maine December - February is pretty limited.

Very cool read thanks for sharing. I was only able to see two of the pictures you posted, but the two were great.

Wouldn't it be great if some cogger with experience were to lead a group ride through Mexico for say 2 weeks next year.  :)
Each rider could be charged a small fee that might pay for most of the ride leader's expenses.
I figure that's the only way I could ever pull this together and just dreaming out loud.  :beerchug:

I might buy into that.  I want to go but want to be lead buy someone that speaks the language and knows where they are going.

Grant said:
Very cool read thanks for sharing. I was only able to see two of the pictures you posted, but the two were great.

Fais kindly helped with the pictures - they are all there. I'll have to figure out how to post Google Photos this winter before I go on the trip.

Greenie said:
How about this one?

Code:
https://www.amazon.com/drive/v1/nodes/I1E_3rkET7WxDiBXCG2vMg/contentRedirection?querySuffix=%3FviewBox%3D1149%2C766&ownerId=AKM0FX3BH20V3&cb=1520195521245

I can't see it - it appears the "link" you entered is to a page on an amazon server and not the actual photograph.  And I'm thinking that page is both accessed by a user/password  and part of a viewing "system".

There may be a button or link on that page that says "Share" or something that looks like a Y with small dots on the tips - click that and see if it provides a link to the photo

We've been in Mexico since the 8th, about 800 miles on a '04 C-10 I bought last Novemburr! with 11K miles on it. I rode it about 100 miles last fall and it seemed great. Spent hours on it going over everything. Bringing an untested and unproven bike down here was a gamble and so far I'm not sure how it will turn out.  I'm having some rough running issues which I'm doing my best to figure out.
It's in the 80's here in Queretaro - no pictures yet.
What a fun place to ride a bike!

Mex gas. Did it come from a 55 gallon drum with a hand pump? Was a soda bottle involved?  ;)

Just like to add I am not promoting  Mexico is a wonderful country  Helpful people for sure. Every country has problems even the US of A. Get around Gary Indiana after dark. A young couple that I follow on Facebook "Moto Migrants"  have done Mexico and South America 2 times in as many years ,months at a time. They are on The Suzuki dr duels. Really seem like great kids. They post there travels and lots of pictures. Worth a peek I myself is right there with them when they post.

Old Man on a Connie said:
Mex gas. Did it come from a 55 gallon drum with a hand pump? Was a soda bottle involved?  ;)

No, You might be surprised. Mexico is not at all what you think. I buy gas (and diesel) exlcusively from  Pemex, and as I might have already said probably 1,000 gallons of gas and diesel over the past 20 years.
No, this gas came from a pump in a city.

Your right Bill. Kinda teasing. I did get some gas from a Soda bottle my last trip down though.  :)) Used to mark my dirt bike gas cans Mex Gas so nobody snaked them in the night  :beerchug: :)

Something new about gas in Mexico - It used to be only state run Pemex stations - now there are Mobil,Shell, BP, and a host of other stations popping up. Gas & diesel prices remain non-competitive though. I have been buying 92 octane premium for about $4 a gallon. Regular is just a little cheaper.
Yesterday between Queretaro and GDL a Federale stopped us for speeding - about 85mph in a 66mph road. After checking all our papers he bluffed that he was going to write a summons but let us go with a handshake. It happens occasionally here - despite traffic hurtling along I have been stopped on occasion but have never gotten a ticket. Once, I had to pay $20, but that was to a transito (local police) The Federales I have found to be honest.
We did see other Federales sitting alongside the roads, I usually don't slow down. Speeding down here is widespread. Go the posted speed limit and you're setting yourself up for getting rear-ended.

y7psfuom

Here's a bungalow we stayed at at Chimulco - natural hot springs south of Guadalajara. Each day the pools are filled with new water - about 110 degrees. It goes well soaking the aches and pains of old age and wrestling the C-10 around in traffic.
We've been in Mexico 12 days / 2,000 miles now.
ybyzqhqk
  At San Blas, on the Pacific side.

smithr1 said:
I might buy into that.  I want to go but want to be lead buy someone that speaks the language and knows where they are going.

I may be interested in this and I am fully fluent in Spanish, English and some portuguese (Born and raised in Buenos Aires) :)

Awesome ! I don't think I have the guts for a trip like this . We use to drive down to Ensenada from So. Cal years ago . Always had a blast....and hangovers.. :beerchug:

Jerdurr said:
smithr1 said:

I may be interested in this and I am fully fluent in Spanish, English and some portuguese (Born and raised in Buenos Aires) :)

I'm very interested in doing this, also. Camping and/or hotel would be fine.

Car washes are popular here - for $4.82 (80 pesos) the bike got a thorough pressure wash, soap, degreaser, drying and detailing. #1 spark plu didn't fill with water either...
ybfp6ngn

The hotel has me park the bike in a locked (and unused) tennis court. Almost every hotel in Mexico will find a place to park the bike in a safe place. Motorcycles in Mexico can drive around parking lot gates, lane split, and get half prices on toll roads....

Greenie said:
Car washes are popular here - for $4.82 (80 pesos) the bike got a thorough pressure wash, soap, degreaser, drying and detailing. #1 spark plu didn't fill with water either...
ybfp6ngn

The hotel has me park the bike in a locked (and unused) tennis court. Almost every hotel in Mexico will find a place to park the bike in a safe place. Motorcycles in Mexico can drive around parking lot gates, lane split, and get half prices on toll roads....
I wanna be you when I grow up  :beerchug: Looking good. Where you at now?

We are still at Mazatlan, Sinaloa on the Pacific Ocean, Old Man on a Connie.

I'm not sure why I have so much trouble with posting photos - I've tried both Google Photos and Amazon Prime - both with the same results.... Any suggestions?

yaodxjnu

In Teacapan, Sinaloa - it's difficult to get a bad meal here - shrimp is really popular - breaded, wrapped in bacon, coconut,...all sorts of different ways to cook shrimp.
Beefs is great too. Most meals with 2 drinks each for the wife and I are less than $25.

Mexico Route 40 starts on the Pacific coast and crosses the Sierra Madre as it winds east. It might be on of the best motorcycle roads in North America with hairpin turns and tens of thousands of curves - and great mountain views along the way. Up until 10 years ago this was the only route that crossed this mountain range for hundreds of miles. It was a major trucking road too - trucks often would have to take most of the other lane on sharp curves. About 10 years ago a toll road was constructed that crossed these mountains - one of the longest suspension bridges in the world and 65 tunnels. This toll road has taken all the trucks and most other traffic from the old Mexico 40 - which is still maintained to a very high degree.
The wife and I took this 180 mile road yesterday - 110 pounds of gear including a tank bag that really limits low speed turning radius kept our speeds down. No peg dragging, plus we're too far from home to take too many chances.
What an amazing road! I'll try to upload a few minutes of the scenery - no high speed showing off, just the amazing opportunity this road offers - within a day from the border.

I've been noticing some movement in the fairing/mirrors and it was that 12 mm bolt that everything relies upon. My toolkit included one 12mm open end wrench - which didn't do the job tightening this crucial fastener. The maintenance man at the hotel produced a toolbox and we tightened the crucial nut and bolt in the hotel parking lot.
Many mechanics in Mexico have the skills and patience but they don't have the tools this fellow did. This worked out great. A loose fastener causes all sorts of issues - I broke a windshield on a washboard once in Colorado due to the loose nut and bolt that holds the front fairing to the triple tree.....

Greenie said:
I've been noticing some movement in the fairing/mirrors and it was that 12 mm bolt that everything relies upon. My toolkit included one 12mm open end wrench - which didn't do the job tightening this crucial fastener. The maintenance man at the hotel produced a toolbox and we tightened the crucial nut and bolt in the hotel parking lot.
Many mechanics in Mexico have the skills and patience but they don't have the tools this fellow did. This worked out great. A loose fastener causes all sorts of issues - I broke a windshield on a washboard once in Colorado due to the loose nut and bolt that holds the front fairing to the triple tree.....

It's good ya caught it before it self destructed.

Have fun.

y7xdf9ad

La Bufa is a mountain, close to 9,000 feet near the city of Zacatacus. This area has a rich mining history and is a fun place to visit. We saw lots of other motorcycles here - unusual for Mexico (large road bikes at least)... This might be bike week in Mazatlan too....
Today we were stopped at an immigration checkpoint and had to provide passports, driver licenses, tourist cards and the vehicle import hologram... Luckily we had everything in order... This was the first time we had a serious stop - usually we are flagged through the various checkpoints within Mexico.
Our month in Mexico is just about over - the best vacations are the ones you're ready to admit that it's time to get back to work... and we are.
Today we had our first cool ride - 60 degrees and sort of foggy.... Tomorrow morning we get an early start for the border, load the bike and trailer it back to Maine - just ahead of a minor snow storm.

Here's a YouTube video of Mexico 40 - the old free highway that links Durango with the Pacific Coast. Note the lack of traffic, and of course the scenery. The bike was fully loaded with the two of us and 110 pounds of stuff so I rode at a leisurely pace.
https://youtu.be/Yn-bMAyO--I

I agree with you about Mexico.  It's great riding there.  I must get my ride report up so I can share my experiences.  Where in Maine do ride from.  I'm in Penobscot.  I rode from Maine to Oaxaca last year and can't wait to do it again!

I work in Camden and have a home in Bangor. Since we usually go in March we trailer the bike to Laredo, Texas. 2,500 miles each way and lots of gas burned before the bike even turns a tire proves how much I enjoy motorcycling in Mexico.

The wife and I have started our 6th motorcycle trip in Mexico entering yesterday at Laredo. No caravans and gasoline appears to be plentiful again. I forgot to pack our RAM mount for the GPS but I was able to buy another RAM mount with 4 adjustable, spring type holders. We'll see how that works.
It was raining when we first entered Mexico and the roads were super greasy. Accelerating moderately while turning the rear tire broke loose and tried to come around. The wife let out a little yell but off the gas and the bike came right back. The pavement here is often worn to a glass-like surface and when it rains some of the roads really are slick.
Today we ride 350 miles from Saltillo to San Luis Potosi. 

connie_rider said:
Greenie, I'm regretting not making the trip with ya'll..  :-[

Ride safe, Ted

Let's plan it Ted, I'll go even if it means traveling with you.  :nananana:  :rotflmao:

Vote Cliff OTP traveler  :motonoises: Vote Cliff OtP traveler  :motonoises: Vote Cliff OTP traveler  :motonoises: Vote Cliff OTP traveler  :motonoises: Vote Cliff OTP traveler  :motonoises: Vote Cliff OTP traveler

y5642hjs

We are about 1,000 miles south of the border - in Oaxaca. Probably the furthest south we'll go this year. As always the riding is great. Tomorrow we'll head over the mountains to Puerta Escondido on the Pacific and then head north on Route 200 through Acapulco and then north again.

Greenie, my stupid computer won't open your pictures. (and I'm too dumb to fix it)
How important is having someone with you that speaks the language?

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
Greenie, my stupid computer won't open your pictures. (and I'm too dumb to fix it)
How important is having someone with you that speaks the language?

Ride safe, Ted
I reached out to him this morning offering to play go between to get pics posted in a thread for his Mexico trip.  Waiting to hear back from him.

Hi Ted,

We've been getting along pretty well without speaking Spanish so far. Most folks we run into can speak a little English, and with the few words I know of Spanish we get by OK.
I've had a kind offer from Bud to help with the photos so hopefully pictures will show up eventually.

Bill

Yesterday we rode 230 miles from Oaxaca to the Pacific coast. Through the mountains with thousands if not tens of thousands of curves which kept speeds down below 35. I'm 66 and reasonably healthy, but this ride took 7 hours - 110 pounds of luggage plus me and the wife. As we traveled on it got progressively hotter - this was a very tough ride, but hopefully a ride that will improve my skills and endurance.
On edit - on the 230 mile ride yesterday we saw 3 groups of motorcyclists all riding dual sport bikes,

From Bill:
Here’s where it started.. A $3,000 Ebay car bought right in 2011 now with 220k miles on the clock, 2,500 miles from Maine to the border in Laredo, at 80 mph. Not a lot invested, but a trip like this costs money and if that means driving a “beater” to make ends meet, it works for our priorities.

Attachments

• 2007-12-11 04.51.29.jpg
    2007-12-11 04.51.29.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 258
From Bill:
Either side of the border is dangerous for the first 50 miles or so. The Mexican border towns got off to a bad start during prohibition and that reputation is hard to shed. Here in Laredo Texas the police had this tower set up with a running inverter generator. I’m not sure if it was manned, but here it sat so it was a great place to park while we spent the night in Laredo getting ready for the trip. We did the 2,500 miles from Maine in two days and no tickets.

Attachments

• 2007-12-14 02.05.11.jpg
    2007-12-14 02.05.11.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 259
From Bill:
It’s an engineering feat to cross this rugged terrain with a road. These mountains go on for many miles which makes for a windy road. Oaxaca has done  good job with this road – the surface was all pretty good with few potholes or washouts. Oaxaca does go overboard with their topes (speed bumps) but they must have figured that speeding on this windy road was not going to be a problem.

Attachments

• 2007-12-21 05.33.20.jpg
    2007-12-21 05.33.20.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 258
240 miles north on Mexico 200 fro m Puerto Escondido to Acapulco today took 7 hours. We passed southbound dual sport bikes, and maybe even one Concours - maybe a C-14.
Arrived at the $74 hotel, ocean front, 9th floor kick a** air conditioning! Had the room phone ring, some guy who thought I needed a massage... Ugh. I'd rather have a good tooth pulled than have a massage from a guy.... But that's me.
The wife wanted a ride in a horse drawn carriage- they light them up in Acapulco, formerly with lighted balloons but now they do it electrically with mini Christmas lights powered by 12 volt batteries.
Not long into our trip the horse driven carriage tried to do a  little lane splitting and snagged the front fender of an encroaching cab. Words were exchanged between the cab driver and the carriage driver and both parted amicably. It was a tremendous joy for me to watch all this work itself out as a disassociated bystander.
The traffic on the "strip" here in Acapulco is something to see. Soldiers with semi-automatic rifles now walk the sidewalks in file rather than ride in vehicles as they did the last time were here. Despite high prices for gasoline Mexicans continue to mirror US type of lifestyles.... Mexicans somehow afford to keep gas in the tank as they increasingly take to the roads.

From Bill
Mexico Route 200 winds its way along the Pacific coast – occasionally within sight of the ocean but more often inland from the ocean a few miles. The road is often narrow with thousands of corners, grades, and a few straight stretches to make sure the gears above 3rd still work. A 200 mile ride along these roads takes me 6 hours and not because I am stopping a lot to take pictures. Another big factor are the thousands of topes (speed bumps or sleeping policeman) that are common. Topes are mostly located in towns, usually they are painted white or yellow with signs 100 meters or so ahead of them. Taken at speed on the Concours and there’s going to be some damage.

As we approached the state of Colima checkpoints increased. One military checkpoint Marines stopped us and asked questions – no habla Espanol usually ends the questions but this time there was one Marine who could speak English – asking where we were from, where we were going, checking my driver’s license and taking pictures of us sitting on the bike with a phone. Another checkpoint featured no military , uniforms, or guns – I think this one was a vigilante roadblock – men dissatisfied with Mexico’s handling of cartels and crime. These guys didn’t even acknowledge us – we drove slowly through.

Attachments

• 2007-12-27 01.48.30.jpg
    2007-12-27 01.48.30.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 231
We're now in Mazatlan in the state of Sinaloa. We've put about 2,800 miles on the bike in Mexico during the past 3 weeks. We see more road bikes all the time now in Mexico - just a few years ago it was not uncommon to see only one or two a day in our travels but now we might see a dozen each day. The motorcycles are commonly BMWs dual sport. Big bikes like the C-10 are not all that common although I see some Harleys.
Some of the faster, better roads in Mexico are toll roads - expensive by US standards, but motorcycles are charged 50% of what cars pay. The toll roads are great for making time. They're not always 4 lane divided roads, sometimes they are two lane but drivers are encouraged to use the breakdown lane to let others pass. Yesterday protestors took over two toll booths - not in the booths but surrounding the booths. Booth employees were nowhere to be seen. Well, the first booth the protestors let us through for free. The second booth the protestors dragged a plastic barricade across our path and asked for the fee, which I paid. Then a few miles down the road other protestors barricaded the road trying to get motorists to pay them too. I followed the car in front of me before they could stop me and was on my way without any issues.
It's a different world here - these trips make me a better rider after a long winter of inactivity. The folks we meet here in Mexico are kind and generally very pleasant (except when they are holding a steering wheel - then they can get aggressive).
It's my hope to encourage folks in this forum to try riding in Mexico - it's not at all like what you hear about in the news. Great riding, great food, and warm weather are all waiting for you here.

Last night I had the bike washed and detailed for $3.18, my leather Schlott bomber jacket with sweat stains and bird poo cleaned for $21. My boots shined for $2.12. A great meal with 2 drinks each here is about $50.00. Regular gas (87 octane no ethanol) is about $3.80 a gallon.

Maybe you could organize a group to ride down there with you.  You can be the tour guide for those with no travel experience in Mexico.  Sounds like you're having a great time!  Still want to see some of the food you're eating down there. :great:

Bud said:
Maybe you could organize a group to ride down there with you.  You can be the tour guide for those with no travel experience in Mexico.  Sounds like you're having a great time!  Still want to see some of the food you're eating down there. :great:

Hmmm... This is something that I would really have an interest in doing.

From Bill
Protestors took over another toll booth – this one outside Durango. A clue is that all the lanes have red X – usually the open lanes have a green arrow or light. Coast through this booth and a few hundred feet later the protestors have their own toll collection in place.
mexico

Attachments

• Toll Booth.png
    Toll Booth.png
    267.9 KB · Views: 190
The protestors charged the car in front of
me 100 pesos but let me go through for free.
mexico

Attachments

• Protestors.png
    Protestors.png
    233.9 KB · Views: 195
Slow down for construction zones here and they look at you funny….
mexico

Attachments

• Construction.png
    Construction.png
    259.6 KB · Views: 198
Double trailers here are usually 54 feet long each.  This is a two lane road with wide shoulders for slow vehicles.

Attachments

• Trailers.png
    Trailers.png
    235.8 KB · Views: 201
South of Acapulco some towns had organized vigilante roadblocks in frustration over the police not effectively handling crime and violence from cartels. We encountered this roadblock and thought that this might be a vigilante roadblock. No sign of weapons or uniforms although the roadside terrain provided cover for others who might have had weapons. We passed through this roadblock without incident.

Occasionally roadside stores blast music with outdoor speakers. As we slowly passed this roadblock I heard the Hokey Pokey song playing loudly.

Attachments

• Roadblock.jpg
    Roadblock.jpg
    294.7 KB · Views: 108
The food:

Breaded shrimp – very popular in Mexico and with me

Family Oyster dip. We start and end every Mexican vacation at this restaurant in Saltillo. This appetizer we really loved. Joyce spoke to the chef and got the list of ingredients which she later replicated once we got home.

This trip I really started enjoying steaks rather than seafood all the time. Arrachera (skirt steak) sliced thinner than this one pictured is a real treat – almost always tender and tasty.

Tempura shrimp taco

We left Mexico and had an amazingly easy border crossing with hardly any wait. We’ve never been searched at the border thankfully as it’s pretty difficult to empty all the saddlebags, top case, tank bag and then put everything back so it would fit.

The motorcycle loaded onto the trailer we started for home – still 2,500 miles away. Interstate 35 in Texas is an extremely heavily travelled road with stop and go traffic and an occasional 80 MPH burst. It was hot and I drove the Pontiac Grand Am mercilessly. West of Knoxville I noticed that when the car downshifted at speed the lower gear was slipping – the tachometer bouncing 100-200 RPMs. I ran the car in 3rd and kept the speed lower – around 70 for the rest of the trip. At a Flying J in Pennsylvania at 2:00am a tractor trailer backed into the front of the car (I tried to shift into reverse, but since the transmission was in 3rd and not drive I couldn’t get out of the truck’s way fast enough) All the plastic under the bumper cover shattered but fortunately the headlight header didn’t break. We still had headlights but no driving lights. The truck driver, new on the job said he’d get fired if I reported the accident. We instead exchanged information and he gave me $280 in cash – what he had in his pocket and told me to send him a bill for the balance. Since the car had very little value and would need a transmission rebuild I’ll let the accident drop. We did get home in 3rd gear. The Grand Am did this trip to the Mexican border and back five times over the years, but this was its last time. We just bought a new Equinox Redline that is supposed to be able to tow 3,500 pounds…. We’ll see.

Attachments

• Breaded_Shrimp_1_32.jpg
    Breaded_Shrimp_1_32.jpg
    297.7 KB · Views: 113
  • Family_Oyster_Dip_3_20.jpg
    Family_Oyster_Dip_3_20.jpg
    328.5 KB · Views: 108
  • Arrachera_aka_Skirt_Steak_20.jpg
    Arrachera_aka_Skirt_Steak_20.jpg
    332.9 KB · Views: 107
  • Tempura_Shrimp_Taco_20.jpg
    Tempura_Shrimp_Taco_20.jpg
    263.4 KB · Views: 108
The wife and I are on trip #6 on a motorcycle in Mexico, currently in Puebla (south of Mexico City). We've made 600 miles in 3 days. Today was a day of rest and a day for the obligatory repair to the tip over bars that snap or vibrate nuts off where the bars meet the frame/engine mounts. Today I got lucky and did the repair in the hotel parking lot by just replacing the nuts that vibrated loose. The C-10 is virtually bullet proof but for what ever reason the Rivco tip over bars guarantee periodic failures. I carry spare bolts and nuts.... Shims and directions were followed.
600 miles in 3 days sounds pretty lame, and maybe it is. It's tough riding here and I am 67. We're hoping to get to the Yucatan this time. We've tried before and failed. The further south we go in Mexico the hotter it gets and the roads become more busy and slow. We'll see...

Yeah, I know Paul.... Besides this forum's difficult photo posting hierarchy I'm also struggling with Windows 10 and the new to me world of smart phones. Plus, everywhere we've been so far we have been before - we're mostly just burning miles right now. I will try to post photos soon.

You know I'll help you if you want to do what is easiest.  If you have an iphone, install google photos and create the account to go with it.  Every time you open google photos and are connected to wifi, it will upload any new photos it finds to your account.  From there, it's just sharing the album with a link, instead of posting each photo.  If you have an android phone, it should already be in the google folder / icon.  Choose the free storage option.  Also, google photos can be viewed in a browser on your computer as well.

Ten days and 2,000 miles into Mexico 
WjUtfjWGQgBCKZzL
We are in Cancun. We've tried to reach Cancun every trip but have always been turned back by heat or tire problems. Thankfully it's been with daytime temperatures in the mid 70's instead of 100.
First night, Saltillo, then San Luis Potosi, Puebla, Villerhomosa, Merida, Valladolid, now Cancun. Years ago I was cheated at a gas station by an attendant who switched the 200 Peso note I offered for a 20 Peso note. Ever since I've been extra careful, and at a Shell station this year the attendant swapped the 500 I gave him for a 100 peso note. I didn't budge, I was that sure. Eventually (after I asked to see his boss) he gave me the proper change.
The bike has run flawlessly and I get a lot of compliments from folks here despite the bike being filthy.
We've done these trips for 6 years now and this time I have no job to rush back to - the wife and I retired after 40 plus years of service. Don't know how long we'll stay, but we hope to make the most of it while we're here.