• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Michelin R5 review

OMoaC

To start Stats. 2011 C14. Spooned on before the 3 Sisters nat out of Hendo NV. Total mileage about 6k because I really don't keep track of that poop. About 500 mile days. Both panniers and top case packed and dry bag in the counterweights spot. Me 6'3" of squishy love about 270. Not a super aggressive rider but I consider myself smoove. Those I've ridden with may differ in opinions. I don't wear out the chicken strips, don't need to. Don't drag hard parts. BTDT. Didn't like it. Have been on Pilot Road 2,3 and 4's since ditching the stones so cannot compare to other brands (though one day I might). Stock size leading and the 55 profile flavor in the rear cause I like it and have the inseam to support it. Not GT type. Not available but I have ridden 3 and 4 non GT and really never notice a diff. Maybe now tho'. Rode from NV to CA to UT (tar snake heaven) CO, NM, TX, AZ, CA and back to Hendo NV. About 2k of the trip was serious twisty no fog line no guard rail no shoulder 20 mph stuff. Another 1.5k of high speed sweepers and banked turns. The rest was slab getting to the fun stuff. Rain, Hail, Fog, Hot ace heat. Did it. Temps from 112 to 42. Both tires set to 42 PSI but according to TPMS dropped to 41 and 39 rear over the trip.
The 1st 500 miles the front end seemed vague with not alot of feedback. Break in I thought OK. After that the front end felt better and input was good. Drop in felt right and no slip's or moves under both braking and accel. Except on the paint. More later. Wear seemed to be holding up well but you noticed more scuffing on the side (like a sport tire rubber build up) than before and could see a clear delineation of the center and side compounds. Got to Texas and looking at the wear pattern looked odd. Was it the TX sun? Angle of the dangle? Dunno. Back in the Garagio. Battery dying. Will continue.

Come on  Mark you know I have been waiting to hear your  results :great: :motonoises:

Plugged back in. OK Back in the garagio wear impressions. After the run it looks like these tires could stand another 6k. The previous 4's (GT) at this point for me showed some cupping starting on the front and the rear was showing a flat spot on the center. About 2k left. Not these. The side sticky grip stuff still showed what looks like a sport tire build up and the same previous delineation of the compounds not seen on the 4's on the rear and a nice still crown down the middle. Still way far from the wear bars. No cupping on the front and the looks from TX weren't there.
Handling impressions: The start on the front end was vague and not a lot of feedback but this improved after the 1st 500 miles. The thing that bothered me was how these handled the paint and center line. It seemed they corrected when you hit the paint. I don't know if it was the rumples if there on the center line or just the paint. They didn't step out like tires would on a tar snake (those impressions were normal) but would correct and move you off of them. There wasn't a sensation of slipping as much as moving over 4 inches. Just POP. your were here and now your here. Weird. Was this because of the sidewall difference between the norm and the GT? Dunno. Wet road handling was great with no 2nd guessing. I'll be happy to put another 6k on them and then maybe move to the GT's but this was my thoughts on the 5's so far. Still like the Michelins. Like these tires but again I am admittedly limited having ridden no other brands (except for the stock stones which should burn in hell My Opinion). Remember this is 1 mans simple opinion, I am not a professional tire tester, I have no affiliation with Michelin and do not let my simple opinion sway your choice of motorcycle condoms. These choices are deeply personal like oil, windscreens, underwear and saddles. Let the dreaded tire thread begin.  :beerchug: ;)

Thanks Mark, along with what my buddy who just put 5s on his FJR is  experiencing you have just made me confident in running the 5s on my 14...

I just put Michelin Road 5's on my '08 Concours. I have an Ohlins rear shock and GP 25mm cartridges up front. I am very familiar with adjusting preload and clickers. My first ride, to scuff the tires a bit and wear in new front brake pads, made me very nervous about my decision to not wait for the GT version of these tires. The reason being my bike feels so slow to steer and heavy it is like riding with flat tires. Both tires are set at 42 pounds using a tire gauge not TPMS. Michelin's website says these are Sport Touring tires but when I called Michelin they said they are Sport tires and my bike needs Touring tires so if I use the Road 5's on my Concours Michelin will not waranty the tires.

Slow steering! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thats why I dumped the road 4's after 4K miles. Hated the turn in and overall feel of the tire. They cupped weird too in the front.

I am staying with the Dunlops RS's and or the Avon's from now on. My try the Metzlers at some point.

So I rode from Hendo NV to Springerville AZ (about 3k) and then from Hendo to Lone pine CA (about 2k) and these still have life in them. The weird stepping on the paint is still there. Never experienced the slow turn in (55rear). Don't know if this matters (Rear profile) but it seems to be a diff from the 50 to my simple brain. Looking forward to try the GT's to see if the stepping on the paint changes. For me except for the paint thing handling is equal to the 4's and longevity is doubled. FWIW.

OMC, thanks for the review.

I've been trying to find a tire that lasts for my itty bitty six fiddy Versys. The best I've gotten on the rear is 6 and 6.5k miles from an Angel GT.

Will likely check out the PR5 when the time comes.

:beerchug:

BadgerApaches said:
Old Man on a Connie said:
handling is equal to the 4's and longevity is doubled. FWIW.

Where is the longevity meter at for mileage?
Prolly 10 to 12k for SW roads. The addition of sea shells in the SE may change estimates.  ;)