• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

MICHELIN Road 5

Thanks for the link. I was automatically going to re-order the PR4’s in advance of the next change.  Now I might nurse my current tires to see what these new guys are all about. 

Not every NEW product is an improvement from the previous generation.

But motorcycle tires do seem to be one of those Products that never go backwards in performance
or technology.

That said.....they'll pry my Pirelli Angels from my cold bent rims.  :beerchug:

gr

If I can get a 55 rear profile in one I will most likely try them next as soon as the Angel GTs are gone which I hate the front Pirelli, true wobbler :mad:

I have been a Michelin tire buyer since 2000 on street, dirt and race track. First time I buy something different and I quickly see why I bought Michelins all those eyars. :)

GT version of Road 5 not available until 2019, according to
http://motorcycle.michelinman.com/US/en/tires/products/road-5.html#

"MICHELIN Road 5 Standard versus the GT version

The above sizes of MICHELIN Road 5 tires are designed for naked bikes and roadsters such as the Triumph Street Triple and the Suzuki SV650.
Heavier grand touring bikes such as the BMW R 1200 RT or the Kawasaki 1400 GTR require the GT version of MICHELIN Road 5, which will become available in 2019. Until then please choose MICHELIN Pilot Road 4 GT tires."

^good info. PR4’s it is. Got a great price from Jake Wilson and know what I’m getting.  :great:

the road 4 and the road 4 gt. both have the same load rating and speed rating.. i prefer the standard road 4 for , to me , the ride is better... :)

It is killing me looking at my set of pre-release Road 5's for testing glaring at me from the rims of the 1250 Bandit. I hope to get my last parts today that will allow me to finish the build and make it road worthy....and today winter decided to visit. Freezing rain. Maybe up to 43 on Wednesday though!!! Woot Woot. Report will be pending over the next few months. For the record, I have never ridden on any of the Road models, but plenty of the Pilot/Power versions.

ZXtasy said:
It is killing me looking at my set of pre-release Road 5's for testing glaring at me from the rims of the 1250 Bandit. I hope to get my last parts today that will allow me to finish the build and make it road worthy....and today winter decided to visit. Freezing rain. Maybe up to 43 on Wednesday though!!! Woot Woot. Report will be pending over the next few months. For the record, I have never ridden on any of the Road models, but plenty of the Pilot/Power versions.

I understand...just got these...and, they don't fit a thing I own...well, OK...maybe the front fits...but, it's not like I need tires right now anyway...figures that it's in the 50s here...I'm probably going to go with Dunlop RoadSmart 3s...or, Avon Storm 3D XM...so I can have a 70 profile tire on the rear...

The rear is about what I expected...but, I'm surprised at how soft the front is...impressive!

Attachments

• Michelin Road 5.JPG
    Michelin Road 5.JPG
    321.5 KB · Views: 143
CRocker said:
ZXtasy said:

I understand...just got these...and, they don't fit a thing I own...well, OK...maybe the front fits...but, it's not like I need tires right now anyway...figures that it's in the 50s here...I'm probably going to go with Dunlop RoadSmart 3s...or, Avon Storm XD...so I can have a 70 profile tire on the rear...

The rear is about what I expected...but, I'm surprised at how soft the front is...impressive!

CRocker,
That 180/55ZR17 will fit a C14...

I'm running my second PR2 in that size on mine right now. They work fine.

I read that Michelin states these Pilot 5's are not made for the heavier bikes like the C14.
But they also said that about the PR4's too. Several here use them, and say they actually prefer them over the PR4GT's.

I asked Michelin by phone why they would say that the PR4 that has 2 ply sidewalls would be less favorable for a heavy bike vs. the PR4GT that has only one ply sidewall? They had no answer.

If you have no use for that new Pilot 5, let me know. I'll try one...
(if I can afford it! Michelin's tire prices lately are driving me away from the brand.)

Let me know, maybe we can make a deal.
Bob

Well the Road 5's feel great on my Bandit 1250. Might try them in the snow tomorrow, LOL.

As far as pricing, with the awesome Power RS I fond they are the same price as my previous Dunlop Q3's, which I thought were fantastic bang for the buck on my ZX-10.

Looks like they are going to be right there...pricewise...difficult to tell before anybody starts advertising them...

CRocker said:
ZXtasy said:

I understand...just got these...and, they don't fit a thing I own...well, OK...maybe the front fits...but, it's not like I need tires right now anyway...figures that it's in the 50s here...I'm probably going to go with Dunlop RoadSmart 3s...or, Avon Storm 3D XM...so I can have a 70 profile tire on the rear...

The rear is about what I expected...but, I'm surprised at how soft the front is...impressive!  what is the load and speed rating on the sidewall, on the 190/50
  rear and the  120/17 front.. can't find info on the net...thx... :)

Had PR4's on my ST1300 and they were great!  Just put a set of Angel GT spec 2's on my C14 with a 55 on the rear and I LOVE them!!!  No wobbles and drops into corners much better with the 55 on the back IMHO.
I'm a long term fan of Michelins on my cars and bikes but these Angel GT's are impressive in wet or dry.

oldnslo_MO...don’t have a 190 to verify...but the 180/55ZR17, 190/50ZR17, and the 190/55ZR17 all have a load rating of 73...and a speed rating of W...the 180 that I have shows a max load of 365kg (805 lbs) at 42psi...pretty sure that means it’s the same for the 190s...the 120/70ZR17 shows 236 kg (520 lbs) at 42psi...and has a speed rating of W...

Hope this helps...

CRocker said:
oldnslo_MO...don’t have a 190 to verify...but the 180/55ZR17, 190/50ZR17, and the 190/55ZR17 all have a load rating of 73...and a speed rating of W...the 180 that I have shows a max load of 365kg (805 lbs) at 42psi...pretty sure that means it’s the same for the 190s...the 120/70ZR17 shows 236 kg (520 lbs) at 42psi...and has a speed rating of W...

Hope this helps...

Oops!  The 190/55ZR17 is a load range 75...which will have a higher weight capacity...853 lbs...

CRocker said:

Hey Brad, I always need tires. When do you want me to swing by & pick them up?  ;) I'll put on my them 14, I can have them gone in no time.  :motonoises:

Cliff  :beerchug:

Cliff,

I feel so sorry for you...always needing tires...you just ride too much (if there's such a thing!)... :beerchug:

You should come over one of these days, though...

Brad

CRocker said:
Cliff,

I feel so sorry for you...always needing tires..

Brad

Feel sorry for my wallet, not me I have my share of fun. If you insist on feeling sorry for me (my wallet) get me hooked up with one of your connections as a tester.  :)

Problem solved!  :motonoises:

Just Cliff said:
CRocker said:
Cliff,

I feel so sorry for you...always needing tires..

Brad

Feel sorry for my wallet, not me I have my share of fun. If you insist on feeling sorry for me (my wallet) get me hooked up with one of your connections as a tester.  :)

Problem solved!  :motonoises:

Cliff,
That sounds like the perfect job fit! Who better to test tires??
:motonoises: :great:
Bob