• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Michigan Guy Amazed in the Smokies

rlievenski4555

I had a business commitment in Charlotte, NC on Thursday this week. My plan included flying in Tuesday AM, renting a bike, and heading to the mountains. There are no words to describe how awesome the experience was as I completed the Copperhead Loop north of Brevard, hanging out in Black Mountain, and riding to and on The Hellbender. No… I did not tackle Tail of the Dragon on this my first ride in the Smokies. It will be the focus for the trip I am already planning for next season. I could not recommend riding the mountains of NC more furvently. Check out Riders Share to find all the adventure bikes that Merle has to offer. Only a couple minutes from CLT airport and a top notch dude! https://www.riders-share.com/user/LmcfvZ5nvFC74ELvKIMG_1498.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1501.jpeg
    IMG_1501.jpeg
    112.4 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0636.jpeg
    IMG_0636.jpeg
    338.7 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0637.jpeg
    IMG_0637.jpeg
    299.1 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1481.jpeg
    IMG_1481.jpeg
    368.7 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Never too late to find those great roads! Being from NE OH, I need to ride 3 hours before the roads even get interesting, and even then, they are in no way comparable to what you experienced. Sounds like you are hooked! Get down there and ride.😁

Dang, you just had to go and tell everybody. Now we’ll get slammed… LOL

Seriously, a lovely place to ride. Come back soon!

Being a former Midwestern myself, I can relate to the feeling u got. Now make plans for next year's RWTW at Suches. It's not far from where u were at and the roads are better! Everyone should do the dragon, but having done the dragon 3 times, it gets. Er....monotonous.. DONT SHOOT THE MESSENGER! Jmho

The roads around the rwtw are less dangerous, but just as fun...its always the first weekend after labor day, so it's easy to remember and start making plans for... if ur a camper, ur gonna love the T.W.O. campground...

Come play with us...

Being a former Midwestern myself, I can relate to the feeling u got. Now make plans for next year's RWTW at Suches. It's not far from where u were at and the roads are better! Everyone should do the dragon, but having done the dragon 3 times, it gets. Er....monotonous.. DONT SHOOT THE MESSENGER! Jmho

The roads around the rwtw are less dangerous, but just as fun...its always the first weekend after labor day, so it's easy to remember and start making plans for... if ur a camper, ur gonna love the T.W.O. campground...

Come play with us...
Sounds like a great idea! Thanks

Never too late to find those great roads! Being from NE OH, I need to ride 3 hours before the roads even get interesting, and even then, they are in no way comparable to what you experienced. Sounds like you are hooked! Get down there and ride.😁
Many of the roads in my part of Michigan are a country grid system. Going along the lakeshore or along rivers give some curvy relief to the monotony. Can’t wait to get back to NC!

Sounds like a great idea! Thanks
For years my buddies and I would ride west from the Chicago area every other year, to ride the rockies and all the wonderful roads out there. Problem being it takes 2 days to get there, and sorry to.say it but Nebraska is so boring...lol so one year I changed it up.and we went east to.the Townsend/Sweetwater area of Tennessee. And we were hooked... I havent been west of the Mississippi unless it's for a COG national on my bike. Only takes a day to get there....lol

There are no words to describe how awesome the experience was as I completed the Copperhead Loop north of Brevard, hanging out in Black Mountain, and riding to and on The Hellbender. No… I did not tackle Tail of the Dragon on this my first ride in the Smokies. It will be the focus for the trip I am already planning for next season. I could not recommend riding the mountains of NC more furvently.
My wife, Blue and I have ridden the Blue Ridge Parkway both directions and Smokie Mtn area every year for the last 6 years (2017-2022). Couple years we visited the entire region twice, never bored always something new to see. Our first trip I was in awe as well at how much was to be offered so close to home (SE Pennsylvania).

We know the bigger part of the Smoky Mtns region quite well and have even guided a couple multiple day long trips for guests.

Regrettably, this year we haven’t hardly been on Blue…. I’m writing note from the hotel room as we paper to set out on the last leg (getting car and Blue relocated) of a relocation.

We have moved from SE PA to NNE CT. Beautiful new (to us) home and region is countryside that I desperately needed. I can breath again…

So.. now we are about 4 hours further from the Blue Ridge Mtns but will be back! Also we are 4 hours closer to the white mountains of NH!

I am so happy @rlievenski4555 you have found the joy of this region, it is mesmerizing and a huge part of why I enjoyed riding so much.

Wayne, Carol & and a very rested up Blue

Glad you were able to ride the area. Been down here 5 years and love being only a hour away from the BRP. Thought I was a good rider after living in Northern NE for 18 years but had to relearn.😂
Next time you’re down, let us know.
I’ve ridden a few roads down here.🤓54DE654E-01D0-4E07-8FA8-5F1D8A9BF7E5.jpeg

My wife, Blue and I have ridden the Blue Ridge Parkway both directions and Smokie Mtn area every year for the last 6 years (2017-2022). Couple years we visited the entire region twice, never bored always something new to see. Our first trip I was in awe as well at how much was to be offered so close to home (SE Pennsylvania).

We know the bigger part of the Smoky Mtns region quite well and have even guided a couple multiple day long trips for guests.

Regrettably, this year we haven’t hardly been on Blue…. I’m writing note from the hotel room as we paper to set out on the last leg (getting car and Blue relocated) of a relocation.

We have moved from SE PA to NNE CT. Beautiful new (to us) home and region is countryside that I desperately needed. I can breath again…

So.. now we are about 4 hours further from the Blue Ridge Mtns but will be back! Also we are 4 hours closer to the white mountains of NH!

I am so happy @rlievenski4555 you have found the joy of this region, it is mesmerizing and a huge part of why I enjoyed riding so much.

Wayne, Carol & and a very rested up Blue
Thanks Wayne and company! Glad that you have a new exciting chapter in your life. My wife will be retiring within 5 years. It is highly likely that we will do much the same and start anew somewhere.