• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Mid-Winter COG track day.

johnnylunchbox

NE AAD Hudson Valley
Attn: NE Area Members Mid-winter COG track day. All are welcome. A different kind of track day. Grand Prix NY. www.gpny.com. 40 mph carts on one of two

HUH? My ears were burning-someone say RACING? :p 20 minutes is a LONG time in a Kart. We had an indoor place around Hartford. 7 minute sessions-I was looking for the checkered after 5 minutes! Count us in. (Oh btw--Michele aint too shabby in a Kart either.)

JLB, Looks like they are having a special promotion with 4 races for $80. Not sure what other requirements might be but it sure looks like a good time. Pat & Sher in Ma. 04 Dark Angel 87 Ninja 600rx 84 Guzzi T-5

Pat, good lookin' out. I'll see if I can get them to hold those rates for a group. Sherman, I'm not too sure about the race length, but I think it was about 15-20 min. My brother did say it was brutal. I hope this materializes. I really want to race.

according to their site, its 10 minute sessions.
If you were looking for the checker in 5, then 10 probably feels like 20. -- Steve Smith, COG #3184 (somewhere in south central CT)
larryline.gif
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

I'm in as I could use something fun to get the blood flowing after everything I've been through the past year. my arm should be healed enough to drive a kart by then as the PT lady said I'm almost 100% now!!! JLB the 2/21/09 works for me & can we bring our own helmets with us & what other kind of gear do U need to wear or would U suggest wearing for the day??? ----------------------------- Easy Does It, But Do It & May U Always Keep The Rubber Side Down

Karl, I'm sure you could bring your own helmet, but I'll inquire. As far as gear they give you a jumpsuit, so no need to gear up. It'll be hot, so I would recommend mesh. I will announce a deadline date soon.

JLB told me that the FEB 21 date is most likely out. Grand Prix NY is holding team endurance races that day. I'm not sure its a good idea for some of us noobs first experience be an endurance race considering that a pro like Sherm said he was looking for the checkered after 5 minutes. Comments? -- Steve Smith, COG #3184 (somewhere in south central CT)
larryline.gif

21th was no good for me anyways. I'll be doing my own endurance runs, driving back from FL :gasp: Dave Muir 1980 LTD1000 - Rocket 1999 Concours - Rocket II 1997 Dyna - wife's CT-COG #3649 Merchandise Czar

February 22, 2009 is the date. We should expect to start racing at about 1100. We will be considered walk-ins aka "arrive and drive". The ides of renting the track was not feasible ($$$$$$$). So we will aim to do four races as we please. The package deal for 4 races and the fee should run $90. Email me at steveonline (at) optonline.net and let me know if you can make it. Hope to see you there.

well I was wrong & this weekend will not work for me as I'll be busy Sat & Sun mornings, but have fun everyone & I'll have to take a ride out with my son someday & have him drive. plus I was thinking if someone like Sherman was looking for the checkered flag after 5 mins & the race is 20 minutes who is going to pull me out of the car & drive me home afterwards as I would be one hurting unit. oh ya Dave have a safe trip back from FL as I need to order some more COG stuff & since I have nothing better to do I could just take a ride out & pick it up in person & drag my friend along as he is laid off right now & then stop in at CT Custom to check out the bikes. maybe I'll do a few donuts on your lawn before I leave LOL, but I'm sure since U did the state park look to your front lawn U haven't had any problems with the rednecks tearing up your lawn have U? if U do let me know & I will come up & catch them as I have the hardware that will stop them. ----------------------------- Easy Does It, But Do It & May U Always Keep The Rubber Side Down

Got home a little while ago from Grand Prix NY. OMG! What a friggin blast! I did 4 races and my shoulders and arms are sore. Hopefully we'll get some photos posted. Thanks to JLB for setting this up. -- Steve Smith, COG #3184 COG Northeast Area Director (somewhere in south central CT)
larryline.gif

Arrived home after another terrific outing. +1 on it being a blast! I learned a few things today in the process:
  • Mr. Peabody (an alter ego for Sherm) knows how to race fast!
  • Hairpin turns are fun when there are bumpers on each side
  • The colors of the day were green & black
  • Many people put the neck brace on upside down....
  • Bring your own helmet...
  • Ketchup is a food group
  • Buy the soda from the machine, not the bar, ice is expensive.
I uploaded some photos to Webshots. http://good-times.webshots.com/album/570224285zTFUeR It was great to see everyone again and to meet new people too! Elinore

Eli - thanks for posting the photos. Here is more random thoughts
  • It's not as easy as it looks
  • Why was it so hard to lift up our glasses at lunch? (my arms/shoulders are still sore)
  • Neck braces properly worn can still fly off (so can cell phones)
  • 10 minutes racing CAN feel like 20
-- Steve Smith, COG #3184 COG Northeast Area Director (somewhere in south central CT)
larryline.gif

Thanks to all for coming to this "track day". I want to make this a yearly event. Here are my random thoughts: I need to hit the gym. 30 MPH has never felt so fast. I'm not as fast as I think I am. What does the black flag mean again? Sherman is a natural. Great to see you guys again.

Nice pictures, Looks like a really nice place and I'm sorry that we missed out on it. If you do make it a yearly event I will try harder to make it next time. Thanks again for arranging it. Pat & Sher in Ma. 04 C10 Dark Angel 87 Ninja 600rx

Big thanks to Steve Smith for choosing the awesome lunch spot. Blazer pub is worth the ride for anyone who enjoys a great burger and fries

I'm sorry I missed this event. Karting seems to be a natural for COGgers. During a day ride at one of Jason Kaplitz's Flood City Rallies, Jason had a stop at a Karting track and he couldn't get anybody to leave to continue the ride. :p I drive at Velocity 17 here in NJ. http://v-17.com/ One of the guys I was driving with last week was getting some practice time in before going up to Gran Prix NY for those endurance races. He sure smoked my butt :blush: so I suspect his team might have done well. Mike Aldea, COG-528 Charter Life AMA Hawthorne, NJ
2520423130102652906S200x200Q85.jpg
2710979210102652906GMlQTI_th.jpg