• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Mix-Match Tires?

ingolfstern

Training Wheels
So with about 2200 miles on my bike the rear tire has a flat spot and I can feel it when I lean-in to a curve.
I think it will  make it through the summer because I plan on riding only maybe a couple thousand miles this summer, more or less.
I bought an Angel to replace the rear, but I didn't buy a front. The new tire is sitting in the garage, waiting to go when needed. I think I paid 204, delivered.
Planning on keeping the front and installing the Angel on the rear because a 120/70/17 has a pretty standard profile and I cannot imagine anything untoward happening because of the different tires.
I have normally kept to the same kind of tires front and rear and I don't think I've mixed tires since the '80's.
The compound on the OEM tires seems OK, and I don't really push it on the Connie.
I just thought I'd throw the idea out there, see if there's something I'm missing.
Anyone else got mix-match tires?

On my C-10's the front always outlasted the rear 2 - 1.
On my C-14, both (OEM) front and rear went away at the same time...
                          (PR-4 Front outlasted the rear a bit)

From what you say about your riding style, I'd expect your front to outlast the rear, but not by a lot.
So, I'd run what you have for now and order a front to install when you do the rear..

NOTE: From experience of many. When the OEM tires starts to go, they will go quickly!
          And, the new tires will feel 100% better...

You said; I can feel it when I lean-in to a curve
Look at your front tire. I bet you will find that it has flat sections on the sides of the tire. (Like an inverted V)
I suspect your feeling that, more than the flat spot at the rear. (Have to push harder on the bars to get it to turn?)

Ride safe, Ted

My friend mis matches tires all the time. PR4 in the back a Diablo super sport in the front. Angle GT in the rear and a Diablo in the front.  But this time he is going to the Avon 3DXM's both front and rear on his ZX14R.

I have run Angel GT's and did 2 fronts to a rear several times with no handling issues. The last 2 sets I have run the Avon's which is now my favorite tire. especially tire life wise.

With the Avon's I can get 6K before my tires are gone! :beerchug:

I have used different front/rear brands several times without issue.
I try to have the front be the tire with more grip by reputation.

I now use the Avaon Storm 3's and among the things I like is that front/rear both wear at close enough the same rate that I replace them always as matched sets - info for your next set. 
It's so great in handling to have new tires fr/rr at the same time.

I always end up mismatching because I run a 190/60 Bridgestone Exedra rear ( I highly recommend these BTW) and they don't make a match that fits the front.

PR 3's are my favorite front tires

I agree that mixing tires are not an issue. I have settled on a Roadsmart 2 for the front...love that tire! Ill be going with a 3D XM for the rear on my next experiment. Both tires seem to last 5K riding very aggressively and about 7K on the slab. All in all, a set could potentially cost 255.00 total.

Slingblade said:
I always end up mismatching because I run a 190/60 Bridgestone Exedra rear ( I highly recommend these BTW) and they don't make a match that fits the front.

PR 3's are my favorite front tires

What kind of mileage do you get out of that tire?