• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

MN/WI Photo tag

2fast

Crotch Rocket
OK then, I am taking the liberty of moving the photo tag over here. Picking up on my last tag and request for a hint, here ya go.
This photo has a sign on the gate if you zoom in a bit. If that is not enough....its pretty close to Backinthesaddle I think. I'll give ya more if this is not enough.

Attachments

• IMG_0017 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_0017 (Medium).jpg
    82 KB · Views: 154
Former Gopher Ordnance Works, Umore Park, just off CR46 East of Rosemount.

ea8051a7.jpg

Correctamundo! Man that is a strange place, full of left over concrete structures. I may have to ignore the no trespassing signs someday and run in for a closer look.  Where to now??

db2cf988.jpg

e57336f9.jpg

Back to the North for the next one. This is the first frame house built in Maple Grove Township, in 1854. I'm pretty sure Thomas will recognize this one right away.

I'm familiar with it, but I haven't been in it yet.  Bill, our cultural resources guru, has a cubicle outside my office so I've heard plenty about this place as he's been working to get this place up and running since it's move.  Whoever makes the tag make sure you take a moment to read the sign, this was the house of a real man's man and a jack of all trades.  I'm sure if he were alive today he'd be in COG.

Doing my part keeping the tagging moving but I'm guessing this one might be close to the last tag of the year, at least for me, rode home with a full tank of non-oxy fuel and performed the steps to put the bike into winter storage. For my last ride of the year I took a ride out to the Elm Creek Park Reserve near Maple Grove for a shot of the Pierre Bottineau house, the house has been moved around a few times and has now found a permanant home in the reserve. Pierre was quite the legendary historical figure, fluent in several languages, noted scout and voyager, he started a few settlements including Osseo which started out as Bottineau Prairie.
The next tag is on the opposite side of the metro from Pierre's house on old man river at a city that is known for making a good pair of boots, and the pottery isn't bad either.
Stay warm. 

Attachments

• DCP_1581.JPG
    DCP_1581.JPG
    624.8 KB · Views: 119
  • DCP_1579.JPG
    DCP_1579.JPG
    915.2 KB · Views: 141
Hmm, very Googleable. Might have to get the bike out Saturday in the balmy 30-degree afternoon.

Go man go! My bike is on the lift for the winter now. The other one is on vacation in Florida, waiting for me to join it :'(

Hmm... This one will probably wait till spring. I went out there Saturday, and the road leading up to the place where I believe the tag is had a closed gate.  :(  Further investigation tells me this gate will be closed until spring.

I did have an enjoyable ride, tho!  ;D

Dang......is this spring or SUMMER?!?!?!?!  I think it was 79 degrees out there today. Plenty nice to go and get this game moving again.

Soldiers Memorial Park in Red Wing.  Wow, some really nice vistas from up on top of this hill. If you have never been up there, you should stop by when in the area. I have no new tag to offer right now, but will try to get one up tomorrow. Stand by >:D

Attachments

• P1040809 (Medium).JPG
    P1040809 (Medium).JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 103
I know, I know :-[  If this were ADV I would be ridiculed as a wanker by now! I will either get out for one tomorrow or fall back on an archived photo.  Hopefully the former :motonoises:

Well, I failed to get a new tag or post one from the archives. Now I am out of town, so I would like to propose that whoever is able put up a new tag so the game can be played this weekend.

jojasc said:
It is the Cambodian Buddhist Temple in Hampton, MN.

Hi and welcome to the board. I guess it is time to post some explanations.  This game started on another board, that board crashed so the instructions and all previous posts were lost. It is my fault assuming that everyone knows whats going on and I apologize for that.

Listed below is a brief how to play.

The major mechanics are the same as other tags: post a photo of a landmark with your motorcycle/scooter/motorized bicycle. Next person to post a photo of the same landmark with their /scooter/motorized bicycle earns the right and responsibility to post the next photo.

Because we need some guidance:
The goal of this is to have cool places to visit, not to stump your COG brethren with some out of the way mole hill. So to that end all landmarks should be one of the following kinds:
Unique non mobile man made structures. (ie nothing that moves)
Unique inorganic landscape features that are fairly large (ie no pretty stones by the side of the road)
Unique large organic landscape features. (ie no trees) 

Again welcome aboard and I hope you can play. Hope to see you on the road.

Tagged with a little help  ;D

Cambodia Temple outside of Hampton MN

New tag tomorrow

Attachments

• P3240078 (Medium).JPG
    P3240078 (Medium).JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 115
Pro Recreator said:
Jeff- Did your bike not fit in the last photo or were you riding an alternate one?

My bike is I believe around the corner behind the tree. I wanted to get a post up so somebody could go tag it on such a nice day. Did you ride today Thomas?

I would love to get out and ride and go after that tag since it is pretty close to me.  But alas, the whole pregnant wife thing and the early spring has kept me pretty busy doing a bunch of other chores that unfortunately have been placed as a higher priority than doing my spring bike work and recreational enjoyment of the bike.  Maybe today when I'm home sick I'll have some time/energy to prep the bike for riding on another day when I can get out.
I'm glad that although I can't get out others are.  This cooler weather is truly the riding I enjoy the most.  I trusted you were on a bike Jeff, I was just honestly curious if you had been able to get out on another bike or if like you said, opted for the better picture for the sake of others.
Enough chatting though....Let's keep this game rolling.

Wow, the photo tag game is really in the crapper. I am throwing down the gauntlet to get this going again. Meet me there tomorrow morning at 8:30 or so and I will buy you a coffee. No, really.  After that, I am gonna ride somewhere, anywhere....I have not had a free Saturday in months and I am by God gonna go ridin :mad: 

Nice to see you this morning Don, I enjoyed it :beerchug:

The tag is now tagged at last!

Bob's Java Hut on 26th or something and Lyndale

Attachments

• P1040883 (Medium).JPG
    P1040883 (Medium).JPG
    102.3 KB · Views: 107
Here's a new one.......nice day, easy tag. I will even give you a clue or two.

1. I wasted a good deal of time in this area after high school.

2. If you went to a school, you are now considered part of the "a****i"

3. The eighth Secretary of Defense (even though most of it was offense....)

Attachments

• P1040889 (Medium).JPG
    P1040889 (Medium).JPG
    45 KB · Views: 112
Wow, had not checked the photo tag for a long time. Not much activity.

Now, the question is... after taking time off work this morning, is it worth going downtown and paying for parking to get a few hours in? Orrrrrrrr....... maybe a little riding to enjoy the weather?

Eighth Secretary of Defense, eh?  >:D

c46908d7.jpg

McNamara Alumni Center, 200 Oak St SE, Minneapolis. (U of M campus)
73 and sunny  ;D

A couple more interesting perspectives of the alumni center (that I couldn't get the bike in):

7be1abc5.jpg

ebf10e70.jpg

And across the street:
f4142e87.jpg

New tag soon!

Way to go Keith, and obviously a better use of time than wasting it at work :motonoises: :)

I like that building....looks like a stealth bomber.

I'm glad to see the tag moving again, we just need more players to keep it going.

New tag:
053551da.jpg

I didn't Google to see how easy this will be to find, but will provide clues if needed.

Keith

Well Don, guess it's you and me for now  ^-^

I finally had a couple of free hours this morning so I grabbed it.

Kare 11 studios on Hwy 55 in Golden Valley

Attachments

• IMG_8315 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_8315 (Medium).JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 84
Finding the next tag should be just as easy.......finding the shot angle is more interesting. I love roaming around this area. It cries out for restoration!

Attachments

• IMG_8318 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_8318 (Medium).JPG
    82 KB · Views: 111
Fun to explore and find this spot behind the golf course of the Fort Snelling Reserve base off Hwy 55.  Kinda spooky with deserted buildings back there.  Didn't there used to be polo grounds where the ball fields are now?

003-2.jpg

Goodrich-Ramus barn on Pioneer trail in Eden Prairie
e82d1434.jpg

Thinking "barn" for the next tag, but we'll see....

Was hoping for something more impressive, but did not find it. Still sticking with barns:
2449103a.jpg

Shiny barn.

You can find this by riding a county, town, and parkway named after the explorer Jonathan Carver.

Can I play?
Tagged

Are we up for a challenge for the next photo?

Attachments

• photo tag (Large).JPG
    photo tag (Large).JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 98
New tag

Easy enough to find and for you guys going to and coming from the National only a little out of the way.

Attachments

• P4120004 (Large).JPG
    P4120004 (Large).JPG
    109.1 KB · Views: 123
I'm in...
Sorry guys but I couldn't take it anymore, Austin was screaming to be tagged and besides, it's a GT town too.
Working on a new post, the one I thougt I had turned out for crap as I was working on avoiding two huge rain clouds hanging over head.

Attachments

• P7133533 (Medium).JPG
    P7133533 (Medium).JPG
    153 KB · Views: 106
ok, here's the next tag.  Yes it's another GT pic, but that's about all I've got at this point.
And Brian, it's ok to park your bike for just a few moments near a church...  or use the lot across the road like I did.  ;)

Attachments

• P5123174 (Medium).JPG
    P5123174 (Medium).JPG
    150.9 KB · Views: 112
Man, I am way out of sync here! Finally get the Connie unburied from the garage, find myself near Austin, and I'm too late. Oh well, gonna pick up some GT towns today, will get back to tagging sooner or later!

Keith, if you can hear me, you can still catch the new tag!  It's a GT and in route if you make a cirlce.  Practicly straight north of Austin...
Yes, that's a hint...  :motonoises:

Good hint, Joane :)  I'm actually on my way to Moline, IL, so I'm going the wrong way. Have to go for work, so figured I'd make it a day of riding to get there.

Maybe someone else will take the hint, and if they don't know what the GT is, will check out GLMC and find what the madness is all about!

well, at the rate this is going, you'll probably be able to tag it on your way home  ;D
Have a safe trip and happy GTing

Had a nice ride - if a little odorous around the farms - to Aspelund to visit Emmanuel Lutheran, and say a little prayer for my ride home.

001-1.jpg

Good for you Don!  Guess as I'm used to the "Rural Scents" I hadn't really noticed.  I'm sure that with all the heat we've had there's been alot of fermenting going on. 
Guess this means that Brian has been "saved" once again... he, he

Tank god I didn't half to go after that stinky tag! I hope somebody doing the brew tour can grab it before Sat and then we could really move this thing minute by minute on the way to Dull uth.  ;)

New tag... more urban exploration.

PhotoTag081612New800x600x72.jpg

A Minnesota company that has been around over 200 years owns this building, although they now have main offices in one of the Ameriprise buildings.

OH man, I know where that one is!! Might be a couple of weeks before I can get it, but we only seem to be getting this moved once a month anyway, eh ;)

I took a colorful ride this morning to downtown Minneapolis and took a picture in the parking lot of the Valspar building on 3rd with the Metrodome at my back.  Unfortunately, my Photobucket can not upload the photo for some reason, technical error or user error - you be the judge.  I also tried to make an attachment so hopefully it worked.

Attachments

• Valspar.JPG
    Valspar.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 95
New tag is also located in Minneapolis but not DT.  If you were a soldier in "The Greate War" this monument would be dedicated to you.  When you find it ride south until you hit an interstate, it will be Wirth your ride.

002-1.jpg

B2809D17-E84C-441A-8B2C-C57CB841C5E0-10344-00000E5BA7A92147.jpg

The Victory Memorial. Victory Memorial Drive, just North of 45th Ave.

02B1CB6F-2C44-4587-B6EB-742513DD938B-10344-00000E5BB59F403F.jpg

No, it's not a memorial to Victory motorcycles.

37E05903-8B72-472F-9400-98A52C46D44D-10344-00000E5BC3B463F2.jpg

A memorial of trees.

B888DBAC-8F7F-435F-A04B-094601C0AFD6-10344-00000E5BCEC42D33.jpg

The stonework is none too shabby.

Stay tuned boys and girls!

Reasonably warm Thurs - Saturday, is anyone going to take this off my hands?  It's been hangin' for more than two months now.  All too soon things will freeze and snow will fall :'(

Well, I have at least identified the building location now. I get the 15, but not the 51.....but anyway, it's a nice close tag for a guy like Roger Dodger :-\

It's actually on CR 51 where it branches off of 15.  If it's not raining too much on Saturday I might take a run over there.

Tagged! It turned into a decent day after all, with lots of bikes on the road :motonoises: :motonoises:

The Minnetonka Center for the Arts

Attachments

• P1050733 (Small).JPG
    P1050733 (Small).JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 101
  • P1050734 (Small).JPG
    P1050734 (Small).JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 105
New one.....get er before the snow flies!!

Edited to add: I thought the sign would be readable, but no luck. It says Center for the Arts and City Hall. It's a southern suburb. Starts with a B, as in B*********n. I hope that doesn't give it away......

Attachments

• P1050735 (Small).JPG
    P1050735 (Small).JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 107
  • P1050736 (Small).JPG
    P1050736 (Small).JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 109
We just had a few flurries here...no big deal. I added some clueage above to make it easy for the brave of heart but weak of google.  ;)

Got to sneak out between rain showers to find the Bloomington Arts Center.  It was 54F and cloudy, a fine but short ride and probably my last of 2012  :'(.

001.jpg

Here's the new tag - hope it doesn't last the winter.  And no, it's not a monument to golf.  It helps planes land and is located south of the river in the same town as a zoo.

Oct2010009.jpg

Ok, reasonable riding weather has arrived so I think the Photo Tag should start up again.  We can use the object I ended last season with - Game on.  :motonoises:

BackInTheSaddle said:
Here's the new tag - hope it doesn't last the winter.  And no, it's not a monument to golf.  It helps planes land and is located south of the river in the same town as a zoo.

Oct2010009.jpg

Looks like a NORAD warning station one finds in the Canadian Arctic.  Do we really have to ride that far to find it?  Kind of far to ride from SE WI to tag it...

I know what and where, but time is prohibiting me from playing.  Too bad too, because I have some good ones....

Tagged.  Radar station on Harwell Path.

Took me 5 hours to get up there & back, but nice morning for a ride!

New one...  Try SE MN... 

Found the Byron High School Bear in the town by the same name near Rochester.  Discovered some beautiful, if fragrant, southern Minnesota farm country.

New tag.  Had I been riding on the dates noted both the Connie and I would have needed snorkles.  Or pontoons instead of bags...

I wish I knew you where coming for the bear... I have a beautiful half day loop I do at least once a month I'd like to introduce more people to.