• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Modifying the Delkevic baffles

jim snyder

I had another question the other day in reference to modifying the baffle in a Delkevic muffler. Many have left the baffles out of their mufflers due to it affecting top end power. Here is what I have done in the past with all of my Delkevic mufflers. I drill a 1/2" to 3/4" hole in the front of the front cap. This releases the back pressure and increases exhaust flow. Another trick I have used (and don't laugh) is using stainless steel pot scrubbers, yes the ones to scrub pots and pans to add additional sound muffling. They slightly muffle noise without affecting flow. I place one or two of the scrubbers ahead of the baffle assembly before re-inserting it.   

Attachments

• thumbnail_20170124_171720_001[1].jpg
    thumbnail_20170124_171720_001[1].jpg
    16 KB · Views: 178
  • thumbnail_20170124_171732[1].jpg
    thumbnail_20170124_171732[1].jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 190
I came across some decibel killers on Ebay and thought they might be of interest to some that want to quieten the Delkevics {or other mufflers} a bit.

Have no idea if they will work, nor if they would be too restrictive.
Only thought is that they might be an option to try..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/51mm-Baffle-DB-Killer-Motorcycle-Exhaust-Muffler-Noise-Sound-Silencer-Baffles/142832714381?epid=10020385965&hash=item21417e428d:rk:1:pf:0

They apparently go into the mid pipe just before the muffler, or into the inlet of the Muffler.

Ride safe, Ted

I agree.
I have no baffles in my Area P Mufflers. I love the sound, but some don't like the loudness.
I saw the decibel killer and thought it might be an option to someone, so I posted it..

Ride safe, Ted

Here is Steve's post on the subject. 

I started out with drilling the holes 1/2". Still seemed to be a lot of restriction. Then drilled a 3/4" hole...not good enough, then read this and thought quick goofin' around and pull it out. Never put it back. Wife doesn't mind a few more db when two up.  :motonoises:
Not sure if anyone has dynoed with pot scrubbers or drilled holes.

Wingedspirit said:

I started out with drilling the holes 1/2". Still seemed to be a lot of restriction. Then drilled a 3/4" hole...not good enough, then read this and thought quick goofin' around and pull it out. Never put it back. Wife doesn't mind a few more db when two up.  :motonoises:
Jim has done a lot with these bikes so don't discount too quickly.  He has also communicated with Steve a lot. 

Jim has done a lot with these bikes so don't discount too quickly.  He has also communicated with Steve a lot.
[/quote]

This ^ . And nobody I know of made a more powerful exhaust for the c-10 than Jim Snyder, so his advise must be heeded. Can't argue with results!

In this case though, Jim's mods harken back to the c-10, and were viable. In the case of the c-14 I personally would just remove and chuck the DB killer for the following reason. The c-14 has a catalytic converter in the header, and it does quite a bit to quiet the exhaust. We also know that the stock exhaust, even with a slipon, is restrictive. This is clearly demonstrated by the gains made with a full area p system. of course it will crack your eardrums on WOT, but that's another story.

If you have a Delkevic, and want to control noise and balance power gains, by all means experiment with Jim's mod. A larger hole will be more powerful and louder. If you want some more baffling that the open muffler gives, it's easy enough to do.

thanks for sharing Jim! :beerchug:

Steve

bowtie39 said:
Wingedspirit said:

Not discounting anyone's work or experience just reporting on my own and pointing to another guru.
Sorry if I offended anyone past or present or yet to come.  :beerchug:

I saw the decibel killer and thought it might be an option to someone, so I posted it..
My intention is not to replace the modded Delkevic baffle that Jim developed.
Just thought it might be another option if one was not available, or for use in another slip-on.

ie: I had a pair of Muzzy Slip-on's on my bike. Too loud for my tastes so I replaced them with a pair of Area P Slip-on's.
    If I had seen the decibel killer previously, I might have tried it before going to the Area P's...

Ride safe, Ted

PS: The Muzzy's are for sale if anyone wants a pair?