• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

monitoring tires underway

I was reading on some forums about having a flat tire underway.......several people mentioned that it would have helped to have a tire pressure monitor that may have indicated when the pressure was decreasing......it may have given them a few seconds to come off speed.......does anyone know if the tire pressure menu screen on our Concours  can be used to monitor pressure in a way that the sensors would send info rapidly and update quickly so that the rider might see an impending flat coming?.......thanks.....Chris

Once it gets below 35 psi I believe it will flash a low pressure warning on the dash. Maybe 32. I'll have to check the manual.

Ocean said:
.....does anyone know if the tire pressure menu screen on our Concours  can be used to monitor pressure in a way that the sensors would send info rapidly and update quickly so that the rider might see an impending flat coming?.......thanks.....Chris

I don't think I understand what it is you are asking. You just leave it on the tire pressure screen while you are riding. However, like Old Man on a Connie said, even if you are on another screen it will interrupt it with a warning when the pressure gets below a certain point. I'm thinking that you already know these answers and your question is more about the speed or rapidity of the information being updated. I think the info is updated continuously if the wheels are spinning. If however you hit a nail just as you were stopping for a long red light you might have a surprise when it goes green. Perhaps you could explain your question more if we aren't getting the point?

Old Man on a Connie said:
Once it gets below 35 psi I believe it will flash a low pressure warning on the dash. Maybe 32. I'll have to check the manual.

I think it's between 33-34PSI (for us folks using PSI)  When it gets to that point. (on a C14)  The warning system will take over your whole dash display, so that you won't be able to see anything else. (it does that with any warning like low fuel, low air, etc.)  I never did figure out why a safety warning would take over the whole display. It doesn't seem all that safe to me.  :))

Thanks to all for your thoughts....as always the body of knowledge on this forum is impressive......if I see the warning at speed I'll come off the throttle asap........I didn't know if the pressure info is sent from the sensors to the screen every second, 5 seconds, 10 seconds or minute?......I was wondering if by the time you see that warning its too late and the tire is flat.....it likely would be in a total tire blowout and there would be other more obvious signs of that, but if you caught a nail or other object that would have a quick but more gradual deflation of the tire than a total blowout maybe monitoring the tire pressure screen as you drive would give some safety margin and be better than say having it set on ave mileage. But if the sensors update slowly then it might not be effective. Thank you all again.......Chris

I guess it depends on the flat how fast it goes down. I had two flats on two different tires in two hours. The first one was going down and I saw it before the warning came on. (I normally left my display on tire pressures for this reason). But the second flat came quick. I checked the pressures, then a few moments later the warning caught me by surprise. So I quickly looked for a place to pull over because I knew this was bad.
  I pulled over about a 1/4 mile later and the tire was already flat. Had I not had the TPS and continued on this windy/hilly road at speed, it might have not been good. So IMO, the TPS proved worth having that day. Necessary, no. But one of the few extra systems that is actually beneficial to have. (I can't say the same for the other system that shares it's computer).  :))