• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Motorcycle Helmet Performance

S Smith

Northeast Area Director
Great article at MotorcylistOnline... Motorcycle Helmet Performance: Blowing the Lid Off -- Steve Smith, COG #3184 COG Northeast Area Director (somewhere in south central CT)
larryline.gif
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Interesting reading so far. I'm almost 20 pages in, and impressed with his reporting. "So choosing a helmet, at least in terms of safety, is not a question of choosing high or low quality, it's one of choosing what degree of stiffness you prefer, finding a helmet in that range by choosing a particular standard, and then worrying about fine points like fit, comfort, ventilation, graphics, racer endorsements or computer-generated spokesmodels." Interesting, veddy interesting. http://millerized.com/pegs I'll be in the garage
welder.gif
COG 6425, CDA 111 a through g
member8960.png

thanks steve. i'm currently in the market for a new lid. i've always correlated price with level of protection as i'm sure most of us do. i'm using a helmet i got from dennis kirk in the $120 price range. knowing when i bought it it wasn't the el cheapo but i knew it wasn't the best. after reading that article i think i'll be re thinking my logic on the subject. it definitely gives you something to think about. i'm not bashing snell and i don't feel the reporter was either but i will say that i tend to not trust someone who get's vicious in an attempt to defend themselves. i'm sure the people at snell are very passionate at what they do but it's hard to argue with the cold hard facts and data that the reporter supplied in the article. once again thanks, tom.